New possible spins on upcoming Opeth record...

Well they dont have to. But if somebody was looking for extreme music like Opeth, then they might be easier to find.Therefore, more people would find an eight wonder in their life. I just belive that Opeth should dominate the media world, period.

But I dont like Opeth because of death growls, i like them for how they write their music, which is the unique Opeth attribute that I think that so many people love(and no other band has). This is how they are able to create songs like "Deliverance", and then out of the blue,a song like "Weakness"

Crackfare said:
Well they dont have to. But if somebody was looking for extreme music like Opeth, then they might be easier to find.Therefore, more people would find an eight wonder in their life. I just belive that Opeth should dominate the media world, period.

But I dont like Opeth because of death growls, i like them for how they write their music, which is the unique Opeth attribute that I think that so many people love(and no other band has). This is how they are able to create songs like "Deliverance", and then out of the blue,a song like "Weakness"
you suck

More songs. More than the usual 8 tracks, and thats all it will take to please me. I thought Ghost Reveries was great, it just had to be longer.

Oh. And get Steven Wilson to produce again.

Crackfare said:

No other band writes good music?

xXBraveMurderDay said:
More songs. More than the usual 8 tracks, and thats all it will take to please me. I thought Ghost Reveries was great, it just had to be longer.

Oh. And get Steven Wilson to produce again.

Wouldn't your rather less songs of better quality? I know I would.

No, I like a lot of other bands. I'm just tryin to explain why Opeth is my favorite :/

If you know any band that writes music as good or better than Opeth's, you let me know.

I hope to see an all-mellow album like Damnation. Ghost Reveries had some decent death metal parts, but overall it seems that the metal-era has come to end, and its best for the band to start doing prog stuff. On GR, the mellow songs had very different atmosphere than the long songs and it ruined the unity of the album. I would have probably liked the mellow songs on GR more without those forced death metal songs in between.

Opeth has dabbled in progressive rock flourishes once in a while, but i cant say theyve ever taken a "prog rock" direction, although Ghost Reveries does have the most amount of that than any other album (including damnation). Nor do i think they ever really will JUST do that. Opeth is afterall...a metal band. And i think its more practical that Mike would start a secondary project to fulfill a completely non-metal avenue if he indeed chooses to do so. He has stated he probably wouldnt ever do another "damnation" record if memory serves correctly.

Mikeal is not a reliable source for what Opeth is gonna do next.

Still Life was just over one hour, and GR was not black at all.

@=NoBigDeal=@ said:
I hope to see an all-mellow album like Damnation. Ghost Reveries had some decent death metal parts, but overall it seems that the metal-era has come to end, and its best for the band to start doing prog stuff. On GR, the mellow songs had very different atmosphere than the long songs and it ruined the unity of the album. I would have probably liked the mellow songs on GR more without those forced death metal songs in between.

lol. The metal era has come to an end but the prog era hasn't?

hibernal_dream said:
lol. The metal era has come to an end but the prog era hasn't?

Indeed, the metal days seem to be over from the band, they still play it but they don't seem to be into it very much. The metal parts at their latest album were quite forced, it's a sign that the band has more interest to other kind of music styles.

Think about some of Mike's favourite Opeth songs, Harvest, Benighted, Hope Leaves Hours of Wealth, Isolation Years, all those songs are mellow, he clearly appreciates the non-metal Opeth songs the most. Think about his playlists, its anything but metal.
So, don't these facts make it clear that he'd prefer making prog/mellow music instead of metal? If it is so, I don't have any problems with it.

NineFeetUnderground said:
Opeth has dabbled in progressive rock flourishes once in a while, but i cant say theyve ever taken a "prog rock" direction, although Ghost Reveries does have the most amount of that than any other album (including damnation). Nor do i think they ever really will JUST do that. Opeth is afterall...a metal band. And i think its more practical that Mike would start a secondary project to fulfill a completely non-metal avenue if he indeed chooses to do so. He has stated he probably wouldnt ever do another "damnation" record if memory serves correctly.

Don't you have a problem with artists who have side projects that detract from their main band?

@=NoBigDeal=@ said:
So, don't these facts make it clear that he'd prefer making prog/mellow music instead of metal? If it is so, I don't have any problems with it.

Me neither, but others surely do.

Anyway, I disagree about metal parts being forced on GR. I see it as the most fluent album when it comes to mix extreme and mellow musical passages.

Frosties said:
Don't you have a problem with artists who have side projects that detract from their main band?

depends. some can balance the two better than others. where i think the problem usually falls is when the side project becomes an excuse or an escape from the main band without actually quitting. it all depends on where the focus is.

@=NoBigDeal=@ said:
Indeed, the metal days seem to be over from the band, they still play it but they don't seem to be into it very much. The metal parts at their latest album were quite forced, it's a sign that the band has more interest to other kind of music styles.

Think about some of Mike's favourite Opeth songs, Harvest, Benighted, Hope Leaves Hours of Wealth, Isolation Years, all those songs are mellow, he clearly appreciates the non-metal Opeth songs the most. Think about his playlists, its anything but metal.

theres nothing "prog" about those songs you listed though. sure, theyre ballads...and a slightly different step for the band, but heavy bands have been doing mellow songs for decades. i dont think its proof that Opeth doesnt like writing metal anymore. i think youre being extremely presumptuous based on your own personal tastes, not the band's.

I really like some of the ideas involving the psychedelic / 70's prog themes. I would love to hear some ideas based around Pink Floyd's meddle album. I would also like to hear some return to the nice folky guitar playing, which wasn't very apparent on GR.
Definately a really heavy song with Mike just singing with his clear style (e.g Bleak, Baying of the Hounds).
The metal parts need to become "majestic" sounding again (e.g. last 3 mins of BWP).