New Pro Tools Hardware

so....

- pro tools hd native pcie card = 3k USD (probably 2,5k €)
- hd 192 io = 2k

= 4,5k for 16 channels i/o running pro tools HD.....a 96 i/o can be had for around 1k, so it would be 3,5k all in all (with the 192 being significantly better but that's another issue...)

pro tools hd:
- hd 1 core card = 6k
- 96 i/o = 1k

= 7k for the most limited HD system, add hd2/3 and the 192 i/o and the figure will be MUCH higher.

considering the power of todays computers, having plugins handled by the cpu rather dsp isn't much of an issue....

so, it doesn't look too shabby imho....
i mean, what did you expect? a completely interface independent version of the software only? that would only kill the LE market, so i doubt it'll happen.
to me it looks like they made pt hd somewhat more affordable at the expense of DSP processing (no problem with that).....yes it's almost as expensive as the hd1 system if you use the newest avid interfaces, but with a 96 io it's quite affordable imho.

one thing that i just noticed.....will the hd native card work with apogee interfaces? i recall that there's a special card which fools HD cards into thinking of the apogee interfaces as digi ones, guess it should work with hd native too?

so....

- pro tools hd native pcie card = 3k USD (probably 2,5k €)

HD Core Native + HD I/O 16x16 Analog on Sweetwater: $7995. The European price for the bundle will probably end up around 7000€ if we look at the US-EU pricing of other Avid products. I'm pretty sure we can't get the Core card for less than 3k over here.

one thing that i just noticed.....will the hd native card work with apogee interfaces? i recall that there's a special card which fools HD cards into thinking of the apogee interfaces as digi ones, guess it should work with hd native too?

Same deal with Lynx Aurora. No idea if they will work, though.

logic 500$
metric halo 2882 2000$
lynx aurora 8 2000$

4,5k for 16 i\o at the same if not better quality

just saying

and with the mio console you get most of the protools goodies

HD Core Native + HD I/O 16x16 Analog on Sweetwater: $7995. The European price for the bundle will probably end up around 7000€ if we look at the US-EU pricing of other Avid products. I'm pretty sure we can't get the Core card for less than 3k over here.

what you're missing is that you don't NEED the hd i/o stuff. the older 96/192 work just fine and are much cheaper, especially used.
even if the hd core native would be 3,5k euro, you could build a running pro tools hd system for around 4,5k.

edit: and the hd io 16/16 is the top of the line hd interface. if you were to compare those to the "real" hd world you'd end up at like 13k for a hd3 system.

besides, the 192 i/o is 4k at sweetwater, but 3,3k at thomann - and 2k or less at the 'bay.

Yes that would be nice... but i rly would like to run my pt HD with some mytek or lynx converters... and as i recall the 96/192 are not that great. But still they worked great on a lot of records... so hm , hm ,hm... what to do?
When can we buy it in EU?

I just want the fucking HD software without the track limitations and with delay compensation - why can't this company fucking just listen to people!!

I think this is a ridicolous request. You know their policy....and if you listen to what peolple want they should have to sell a 50$ software with HD features...instead of 6000$.
I don't complain their policies but only their prices

I think this is a ridicolous request. You know their policy....and if you listen to what peolple want they should have to sell a 50$ software with HD features...instead of 6000$.
I don't complain their policies but only their prices

How the hell is that a ridiculous request? Asking them to be like every other DAW on the market?

Shit, charge $1500 for it, like Nuendo or something - just offer it to us in general. Being tied down to AVID's interfaces is complete bullshit.

I know but it's their policy...I would like to have PT native and unlocked too...but they always had another policy and they still are the leader of the pro market...

I dont really have anything to say that hasn't been said. Fuck Avid. You know what would have made a lot of sense, packaging it with either the Omni, 96 or 192 I/O. That way Avid still gets to sell their Hardware, it acts as a dongle, and it is a rock solid converter I'm not arguing with anyone about that. This card is literally a giant fucking $3500 dongle. If this card allowed 3rd party hardware, it would be fine. ONE OR THE OTHER AVID ONE OR THE OTHER.

What are people's views on the HD I/O interface? Best interface on the market? They've certainly hyped up the AD/DA aspect of it. TBH - if I were to get a new interface - I'd probably go for that over RME + 16 channels of equally good conversion (by the way Ermz - is the SSL alphalink supposed to be on the same level as the AVID interface's conversion?).

I thought that AVID's main objective was to introduce something at a more competitve price point but a 192 + Native card + Mac Pro is a huge outlay.

I dont really have anything to say that hasn't been said. Fuck Avid. You know what would have made a lot of sense, packaging it with either the Omni, 96 or 192 I/O. That way Avid still gets to sell their Hardware, it acts as a dongle, and it is a rock solid converter I'm not arguing with anyone about that. This card is literally a giant fucking $3500 dongle. If this card allowed 3rd party hardware, it would be fine. ONE OR THE OTHER AVID ONE OR THE OTHER.

Yeh that's exactly it. I'd rather go for their interface over this new native card.

As soon as you let go of pro tools, life gets a lot simpler. It's just fucking software. Native pro tools is crushed by pretty much ANYTHING else on the market.

I keep it around just in case, but I think I have worked in it a total of once last year. It's not like it sounds any better. :lol:

I've gotten to the point where I wouldn't go HD even if I could, I would much rather have a nice native system.

The real problem here is avids insecurity and need to bundle a dongle mascarading as hardware into the picture, only the hardware offers inferior features to comparably priced items and ass fucks you with it's picky driver compatability. The fact is hd has been cracked. We know it can run without any avid hardware, without the accel cards. Sure, they can probably bank on their top line guys updating, this kind of money is nothing to those guys, but they're losing out when guys like you and me either jump to other daws out of necessity or rebellion, or worse still, continue to crack their software. The second is more of an insult because I would be more than happy to pay for that software, even at an increased rate, for the benefit of choosing my own conversion/interface/processing power etc. I want to use protools, I love the software, the GUI, the editing, but they're really pissing me off.

What I don't get here is that you still need to buy a core card, just like you need with the current HD line. The core card costs about $3500. You can get a used HD2 system for about $4000-$4500, right? And the release of the new HD Native, the used prices will most likely sink a bit. So, for $500-$1000 cheaper at tops you can get the new system, and it's only practical difference to the old HD line is that it actually LACKS the DSP power of the old HD line. That's just plain retarded, sorry.

Fuck it, I'm tired of arguing over this and waiting year after year for Avid/Digidesign to step up their game and provide the product that I personally need. I'll just start saving up for a fucking HD2 (or Native), Lynx Aurora16 w/HD and a MacPro. Or take a loan. Hey, it's only ten grand total.