New Slate Production console and monitor system!

I'm really eager to get some more information on this one, since I'm not quite grasping the signal flow here. Is it just a DAW controller with an inegrated monitoring section? The MC Mixes are just controllers, but do they also control a summing system or something? Either way, I want it!

Obviously Slate would push for his own outboard gear, but the impression I got at NAMM was that the desk comes with open slots.

I have to say, it's nice to see Slate move out of the random-Chinese-produced-violin section to just off of the main strip at NAMM. I also have to say, his booth babes have improved as well...except for that one time I recognized one of them from high school...that was weird.

Yeah the link in the first post? :p

link in first post said:
Integration
Seamlessly integrates the most essential components and functions of the modern studio
Increases efficiency and workflow by placing the DAW front and center

Clear Path™ pristine analog circuitry
All analog components selected for transparency and fast response circuitry

Full Monitor Control
the most feature-rich analog monitor controller
8 stereo source selections, including digital inputs and iPod
5 stereo speaker outputs, including studio and on-board laptop-style speakers
5.1 surround monitoring
Comprehensive source to output routing

iPod / iPhone Dock with AES digital output
Hear and play along with demos on your iPhone or iPod
Digitally stream iPhone / iPod content to your DAW
Eliminate cheap headphone jack converter loss
Capture ideas from your smartphone’s music creation apps in full digital quality for use in your productions
Hear your portable music library at full resolution

High-speed USB ports on console surface
Easy access to iLoks, flash drives, smart keys, and hard drives
Console-top location and under keyboard tray
iPad access/power

Three – My Mix™ 6-channel, stereo artist headphone cue mixers
Easily and instantly create three separate, multi-source, 6-channel headphone mixes for musicians in the studio
Route any monitor source to headphones within custom 6-channel mix
Replaces or works in concert with stand-alone cue mix systems
Artists can play along with multiple sources such as main mix, 2 track, and iPod / iPhone

iPad integration for Neyrinck V-Control Pro, tactile plugin control
iPad USB powerpoint on console front
Dedicated space on console for the smartest, most advanced plugin controller

Mix Focus™ Metering
Comprehensive VU and LED metering
LEDs scaleable to display 60dB range or only the critical last 10dB during mixdown mode

Auto Talk™ talkback mode
Talkback mic automatically turns on when playback stops for effortless, hands-free studio communication
Traditional talkback mode selectable
Talkback to cue, to studio, and to slate

Remote Talkback option
Activate the talkback mic from anywhere in the room with a small remote
Direct line of site not required

Engineer’s Headphone center
Powerful, on-board headphone amp with standard 1/4” jack and 1/8th” earbud jack

Betty™
Built-in laptop style speakers for consumer playback reference

32 Channel, automated, touch-sensitive fader control surface
EuCon Protocol – the fastest, best integrated virtual DAW control system
100mm long-throw faders and 32 high resolution rotary encoders
Automation mode select, mute, and solo
Industry-standard Avid fader packs for performance, reliability and support

Outboard bays
Integrated rack bays for outboard gear, converters, interfaces, preamps…

Slate Digital Virtual Console Collection plugin included
Brings the sound of 5 legendary analog consoles to your DAW
Models all characteristics of both the channels and the analog summing
Eliminates the need for analog summing

Unless you mean price, which there isn't an official number from Slate yet on that.

I was going to be saving for Opals, but if these live up the hype I may just be saving for 3 times as long.

Or leasing them for $189 per month looks pretty damn cool.

Both of these look super cool!

Check btw the gearslutz thread of the desk, there's one guy threatening with lawsuits, as he had published/registered some similar looking/features including desk with sketches. AND Steven had contacted him, in search for assistance on his "new project" or something.. Dunno if any of this holds water, but after the VCC/Nebula case this seems bit too familiar again..

10 grand monitoring solutions, holy moly. I'd love to hear em'!

Not necessarily uncommon - hell the Ocean Way HR3 Monitor System is $50,000 / pair. Not likely to see them in too many places at that price point, but I've always said, money is a relative thing - relative to the amount you have ;)

Probably not fitting in my 12' x 11' Home Studio - but damned they would look cool.

OW12.jpg

I'm about to move to a much larger room, so if I can find anywhere to demo these I'm going to have to hear them :). I'm still tossing up between the Focal Twins and the Opals, as my mastering engineer uses the twins and I am quite accustomed to the sound of them as opposed to the Opals where I have only heard them in store.

That being said I am still completely happy with my MSP7's, and I definitely feel like they are letting down my work in any way. I think the best option would be to buy a pair of them and if I feel I don't need them return them.

I read through the Gearslutz thread, and it pretty much answered all my questions. I have to say I'm really excited about this product, as it seems like exactly what I need.

And regarding the rip-off claims... Well, I think it's a bit ridiculous. He sues if he sues, let's just keep it at that.