New Social Thread

It's thriving but there's not much to speak of in my immediate area which is rural as heck. I went to see a bunch of bands from Fukuoka the other day, they are quite good. Interesting blend of Arch Enemy worship (Evil Choir) and leftovers from the dying visual-kei/X-Japan scene. Gus G from Firewind and Marty Friedman are big heroes here so lots of guitar wank.

I love reading and laughing at st3ph's posts.

Ok ya'll , need some advice/help, from New York residents:

I am in the midst if planning to move to New York. Mainly, I want to know:

-Where are good and cheap areas to live? Ideally with a vibrant art scene
How much rent could be? living costs in NYC? ect ect
-What kind of work is easy to find there? For example, is it easy to find a cooking job? Bike Messenger job? Temp? ect ect

I dunno, its late and Im tired. Hope that made some sense. If you can help, please do!

I'm a New Yorker but from upstate (Albany). Many of my friends have relocated to Brooklyn and Queens.

Artsy neighborhoods full of hipsters like Williamsburg, Park Slope etc are EXPENSIVE these days, they have been gentrified quite a lot. I have some friends who are musicians living in a HUGE place for $400/month rent in Cortelyou area in Brooklyn; they are the only white people around and it is not an artsy area but it's safe and fun. If you're RICH and want art, move to the Lower East Side in Manhattan and expect to pay ~$1000 or more monthly rent.

As for my area, Albany isn't an artists' paradise but it may be easier to find work there, as it seems most people in NYC want you to be English/Spanish bilingual and every college grad in the USA is trying to move there to work. If you're Canadian it may be very tough to find work in NYC or anywhere. NYC has a lot of under the table type work available, low low paying stuff like being a dog walker, personal assistant, etc. If you are attractive and not morally opposed you could do art modeling but that's not steady work at all. And of course there's retail and shit. Never tried to work in NYC to be honest but temp agencies are your friends for helping you find your feet. Play up any foreign language proficiency you have. It's a tough world.

Ok ya'll , need some advice/help, from New York residents:

I am in the midst if planning to move to New York. Mainly, I want to know:

-Where are good and cheap areas to live? Ideally with a vibrant art scene
How much rent could be? living costs in NYC? ect ect
-What kind of work is easy to find there? For example, is it easy to find a cooking job? Bike Messenger job? Temp? ect ect

I dunno, its late and Im tired. Hope that made some sense. If you can help, please do!

Buffalo is a great city, but I wouldn't really recommend coming here to look for work unless you've got some leads (not to dissuade you, it would be awesome if you moved here!). Unfortunately I don't know much about NYC, but I know there are cheap places if you know where to look, and I know that it is absolutely the place to be if you're looking for music, museums, etc.

Speaking of credit cards, I got an offer for one from Bank of America, with no annual fee's, so should I go for it or just stick with a debit card. I want to build up credit but don't really know much about it.

Yes. Credit cards are really good way for people to establish and build credit, along with a means to money in case of an emergency. I highly recommend getting one. There are a ton of cards out there that offer no interest for a year, etc. If you get one though, make sure you pay more than the minimum payment. In fact, if I were you I'd just use it for the hell of it and pay it all right back. You earn a lot of rewards points for either cash or random crap you probably don't need the more you use it.

Yes. Credit cards are really good way for people to establish and build credit, along with a means to money in case of an emergency. I highly recommend getting one. There are a ton of cards out there that offer no interest for a year, etc. If you get one though, make sure you pay more than the minimum payment. In fact, if I were you I'd just use it for the hell of it and pay it all right back. You earn a lot of rewards points for either cash or random crap you probably don't need the more you use it.

Sounds pretty good then, I think I'll go for it, though I'm not so sure they'll accept me since the really low income, but I might as well try.

And welcome back krampus :kickass:

Just reading through a bunch of threads in social and Krampus has like every other post in most of them.

Speaking of credit cards, I got an offer for one from Bank of America, with no annual fee's, so should I go for it or just stick with a debit card. I want to build up credit but don't really know much about it.

It's bank of America, DO NOT GO FOR IT.

You will literally be raped with fee's that appear to come out of nowhere. Just go find a credit union, it's literally one of the best things you can do.

So this morning I woke up with blood all over my pillow, my nose dripping like a percolator. Hypochondric as I am, and seeing as the bleeding wasn't a result of hurting my nose in any way, I've started worrying about tumours in my brain and whatnot.

TAKE A LOAD OFF FANNIE, TAKE A LOAD FOR FREE
TAKE A LOAD OFF FANNIE
AND YOU CAN PUT THE LOAD RIGHT ON ME

Buffalo seemed like hell on earth when I visited a few years back. What am I missing?

The fact that it's my home. :cool:

Just kidding. In all honesty, the economic situation here is awful and there's very little job opportunity; but it has a surprisingly vibrant art scene and a really great music scene. Also, University at Buffalo is doing its best to be recognized as a top school, and it offers some very respectable programs (although little prestige is yet associated with its name).

The fact that it's my home. :cool:

Just kidding. In all honesty, the economic situation here is awful and there's very little job opportunity; but it has a surprisingly vibrant art scene and a really great music scene. Also, University at Buffalo is doing its best to be recognized as a top school, and it offers some very respectable programs (although little prestige is yet associated with its name).

No way dude, U of Buffalo is considered the best SUNY school by a landslide.

@WeAreInFlames Yeah I'm directly competing with st333333phani333333. I also have nothing to do at work for approximately 8 hours a day and this feels like socializing.

@Ananth It must be because you're brown, my Arab friend in Osaka went to the ER last night with the otogeri.

Everyone's good, I think. St3ph makes it a point to relate her everyday dealings with the forum. Not sure if that's bad or good, because I don't really care. How's the metal scene over there in Japan?

It just so happens that we have something in common. As much as you don't care about my life, I don't care about it either. I just have time and since I am on the computer, I might aswell tell it someone (even though I am sure 99.99% people on here and on Earth could careless) and I don't know because I don't care, I guess.