New song from "Universal" will be made available for streaming on Friday the 29th

@ Oerko:

I don't think we're using the regular promo cd's anymore. The journalists etc can only get watermarked mp3's by logging in on indie recordings' website. I guess that's why the album hasn't been leaked.

Good for you guys that it hasn't leaked!

I really wonder how they watermark the files, and how long the technique will last before it gets cracked. I gonna be exploring pattern recognition techniques over the coming weeks for a project, these can also be applied to find the watermarks in audio files. Several methods to watermark the files are available. If they watermark mp3s rather than the audio itself it's gonna be a piece of cake to crack for any decent engineer, and if majors will start to use the watermarks it won't take long for someone to write an easy-to-use tool that warez groups will use and in no time that watermarking technique will become useless.

Furthermore, any watermarking technique that doesn't alter the audio signal itself is useless against an analog copy.

Placing watermarks in the audio stream is the only viable road but also takes the most effort for the watermarking party.

Feel free to delete my post if you think it doesn't... it's just a matter of curiosity :) I'm an engineer, can't help myself :D

@ Oerko:

I don't think we're using the regular promo cd's anymore. The journalists etc can only get watermarked mp3's by logging in on indie recordings' website. I guess that's why the album hasn't been leaked.

Well I'm not so sure about this 'watermarked' tracks because Dark Tranquillity did the exact same thing, and the album has already leaked. I don't want to sound nasty or rough, but I think it's very difficult to avoid a leak. The journalists who got the DT promo even had to sign a contract (pretty impressive IMO) that said that there'd be legal consequences if they leaked the album. Even with that, the album has leaked, which is kind of sad.

@ Oerko:

There will be giveaways at the party too including shirts and signed (by me) promos of Universal.

That`s why i asked...

Seems like the US is far behind in tech, so we're forced to print promos for the american jurnos as they can't be arsed to use the internett to find out about the music he he