new to metal need some guidance

i don't really get why the filler on VOL. 4 (and FX is the only real filler anyway) gets so much attention but people ignore, say, 'rat salad' or the last couple songs on the s/t or w/e. if we're just talking about the proper songs it's a candidate for their most consistently excellent record if you ask me. not that i have much common ground with someone who thinks e.g. 'snowblind' is a 7/10 or less, so whatever.

also i'd take 'changes' over 'planet caravan' or 'solitude' anyday tbh. i get why that's controversial though lol

Comparing the melodramatic, drawn out dredge that is "Changes" to the delicious psychedelia of "Rat Salad" or "Planet Caraven" is laughable.

Honestly, I think the biggest issue with Vol. 4 is that Sabbath is stuck in neutral. Their first four albums continuously developed their sound. Vol. 4 offers little new, but at the same time fails to reach the quality of Paranoid or MoR. That said, SBS offers tons of new ideas and shows Sabbath getting back on track.

Maybe if Vol. 4 was some 2deep4U black metal album you'd like it.

This would be strong point if I didn't love many other Sabbath albums.

Carcass - Heartwork
Satyricon - Volcano
Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
Mercyful Fate - Don't Break the Oath
In Flames - Reroute to Remain
Killswitch Engage - Alive or Just Breathing
Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengeance
Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time
Pantera - Cowboys from Hell

That's the path I took. Take it as you will.

Honestly this is probably the best rec here considering the OP's exposure and enjoyment of "metal" thus far. I would probably replace Iron Maiden's Somewhere in Time with Powerslave, and Slayer's Seasons in the Abyss with South of Heaven or Hell Awaits though. And instead of Killswitch Engage, id say something like Soilwork's A Predator's Portrait would be a better rec.

Reactions: Elric of Melniboné
Vol. 4 isn't just a retread of Master of Reality so I'm really not sure what that dude is talking about at this point.

I'd have to agree with @no country for old wainds that every classic Black Sabbath album has some stuff on it that I could call call filler or padding, even though I generally enjoy them in the context of the albums. Using that as justification to call Vol. 4 an inferior album makes no sense to me.

Their first four albums continuously developed their sound. Vol. 4 offers little new, but at the same time fails to reach the quality of Paranoid or MoR.

I also want to point out that these two sentences occurred in sequence in the same post despite the fact that they're extremely contradictory of one another.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
Check out the thrash metal band Exodus if their music is available in Quatar. They are thrash metal like Metallica, but a bit more extreme, and way more consistent.

Also, look into black metal and death metal, again, if available in Quatar. I heard they were trying to pass laws restricting certain albums from being sold in Middle Eastern countries. Try Immortal.

Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Motörhead, Alice Cooper, Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, Exodus, Testament, Overkill, Heathen, Forbidden, Artillery, Saxon, Trouble, Candlemass, Tygers of Pan Tang, Witchfinder General, Saint Vitus, Accept, Cirith Ungol, Liege Lord, Riot, Savatage, Mötley Crüe, Dokken, W.A.S.P., Ratt, Twisted Sister, Cloven Hoof, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Primal Fear, Manilla Road, Death, Atheist, Obituary, Possessed, Autopsy, Bolt Thrower, Pestilence, Ozzy Osbourne, Yngwie Malmsteen, Dio, Rainbow, Alcatrazz, Omen (U.S.), Solstice (U.K.), Demon, Bow Wow/Vow Wow, Pentagram, Loudness, Atomkraft, Savage (NWOBHM), Angel Witch, Grave Digger, Venom, Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, Budgie, Darkthrone, Gorgoroth, Bathory, Burzum, Anthem, X Japan, Seikima II, Queensrÿche, Flower Travellin' Band, Vicious Rumors, Helstar, Girlschool, Stryper, Warlock, Doro, Leatherwolf, Y&T, Nuclear Assault, Scorpions, Kreator, Sodom, Tankard, Destruction, Holy Moses, Railway, Agent Steel, Dark Angel, Death Angel, Dark Funeral, Diamond Head, Sleep, Tytan, Pagan Altar, Ostrogoth, Hellhammer, Celtic Frost, Grim Reaper, Pretty Maids, Iced Earth, Metal Church, Black Widow, Europe, The Obsessed, Fates Warning, The Chasm, Satan, Blitzkrieg, Holocaust, Stormwind, Graveland, Immortal, Sacramentum, Deicide, Maniac Butcher, 1349, Sarcófago, Vulcano, Saber Tiger, Helloween, Sweet Savage, Gamma Ray, Massacra, Blind Guardian, Sepultura, Bodine, Inquisition, Deathspell Omega, Anvil, Death SS, Flotsam and Jetsam, Onslaught, Root, Carcass, Jag Panzer, Symphony X, Annihilator, Manowar, Sacred Reich, Napalm Death, Exciter, Steeler, Impaled Nazarene, KISS, Emperor, Master, Armored Saint, Necronomicon, Raven, Tokyo Blade, Sortilège, Praying Mantis, Quartz, Morbid Angel, Dissection, Thor, U.D.O., Running Wild, Samson, Virgin Steele, Michael Schenker Group, Stormwitch, Pokolgép, Crimson Glory, At The Gates, Voivod, D.R.I., Devin Townsend Project, Devin Townsend Band, Razor, Attacker, Hour of 13, Wolf, Rammstein, Pantera, Satan's Host, Halford, Judas Iscariot, Windir, Danzig, Beherit, UFO, Dismember, Atrophy, Spellcaster, Bullet, Enforcer, Dark Tranquility, Solitude Aeturnus, Mayhem, Satyricon, Marduk, Hellion, Nunslaughter, Immolation, Incantation, Master's Hammer, Bulldozer, Tormentor, Sabbat (U.K.), Sabbat (Japan), Carpathian Forest, Angel Corpse, Drawn & Quartered, and Macabre for some starters.

Last edited:
Since everyone else is doing this..
These are the albums I can remember that got me into metal from Metallica and Megadeth, its like 20 years ago now... :erk: I thank Vanessa Warwick and Headbangers Ball for some of the discoveries.

Sepultura: Arise, Beneath The Remains, Schizophrenia
Pantera: Vulgar Display of Power
In Flames: Whoracle, Colony, The Jester Race
Slayer: Decade of Aggression
Paradise Lost: Icon
Entombed: Wolverine Blues, Clandestine, Left Hand Path
Carcass: Heartwork
Machine Head: Burn My Eyes
Fear Factory: Demanufacture
Samael: Ceremony of Opposites
Hypocrisy: Abducted
Anathema: The Silent Enigma, Serenades
Death: Individual Thought Patterns

Last edited:
Buffalo, Exhorder, Sanctuary, Profanatica, Rigor Mortis, Sargeist, Toxik, Bestial Warlust, Bestial Holocaust, GWAR, Theocracy, Masterplan, Tank, Whiplash, Exumer, Coroner, Stress, Tesla, Demolition Hammer, Elixir, Stormtroopers of Death, Jaguar, Satanic Slaughter/Evil Cunt, Gory Blister, Heir Apparent, Mama's Boys, Earthshaker, Messiah (Switzerland), Thanatos, Rage, Mekong Delta, Dethklok, Obliveon, Cacophony, Desaster, Avenger, Racer X, Morbid Saint, Abigor, Vio-lence, Deströyer 666, Nasty Savage, Malevolent Creation, Asphyx, Witchfynde, Gates of Ishtar, Paul Di'Anno's Battlezone, Repulsion, Grand Magus, Impiety (Singapore), Horna, Satanic Warmaster, Cynic, Entombed, Infernäl Mäjesty, Cancer, Massacre (U.S.), Exhumed, Blood Duster, Demilich, Seance, Monstrosity, Sadistik Exekution, Mortician, Sadus, Ripping Corpse, and Pungent Stench for some extras.

Reactions: Atomic Tide
some of my recommendations...

Slayer - South of Heaven
Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Testament - Souls of Black
Death - Symbolic
Coroner - Punishment for Decadence
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Deicide - Legion
At the Drive In - Relationship of Command
Motörhead - Orgasmatron/Iron Fist

Not terribly. Comprehending music from a more pedestrian stand and getting moved towards the more depth carrying stuff is inestimably simpler than asking a primary school student to decipher the writings of Nietzsche. So, to be honest, that's a horrendously miscalculated and inaccurate attempt at analogy.

They're not actually making recommendations. They're just making a list of bands they like.
In defense of my recommendations, I don't think that someone who likes Disturbed would be intimidated by a lot of classic heavy metal from the 70's and NWOBHM. Same goes for stuff like Candlemass as well. Also, the reason I recommended stuff like Dissection, Opeth, Edge of Sanity, Katatonia, Sacramentum and At the Gates was due to him already having listened to some Wintersun so...yeah. I thought this out.

Reactions: CiG