New to ProgPower: what should I expect?

I would highly suggest attending the lunch that will be held on Saturday afternoon at a restaurant called Front Page News at 1 PM. See the thread in this forum for details.

My friend SkiBumMSP (Steve) and I went there last year and met quite a few people - many of whom said they're going again. Nice to see your friends year after year at (IMHO) the best progressive/power metal fest that the US has to offer. :)

Earplugs were a big help for me (per someone's suggestion last year). I got a pair from Etymotic Research (ER-20 I think) and they made a big difference! They're not that expensive, about $13 or $14 and toned the volume down without muffling the sound.

I'll be the old guy with long hair (well, okay, it's a skullet) who refuses to grow up, next to them.

Oh yeah, i forgot, there are three really old guys, Pellaz, J-Dubya and Myself, and Hoyt is fast approaching.

Earplugs were a big help for me (per someone's suggestion last year). I got a pair from Etymotic Research (ER-20 I think) and they made a big difference! They're not that expensive, about $13 or $14 and toned the volume down without muffling the sound.

I concur with the above statement. Sure, you can buy those cheap foam plugs from the drug store and they will protect your ears. But if you want fidelity and actually hear the music properly, you should get a set of these. I bought a couple of pair last year, and plan on taking them again this year.

Here's a link for the earplugs:

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er20.aspx

I've had those for awhile and they certainly saved my ears last year. Even after 4 days of concerts I didn't have any issues.

I actually just picked up two more because Brian doesn't have a pair and I wanted a spare for myself. In the long run it's cheaper than buying those cheap sets as you're supposed to throw them out after a single use and these will last you awhile as long as you don't loose them. The case they come with is great though. I keep it on my key chain so I always have them with me at shows.

ER-20's are great, and thanks to Rich for reccommending them a few years back, Wouldn't go to a concert without them.

Hi, folks. This will be my first year going to ProgPower. I'm going alone. Is there anything I should know? Does going alone usually suck?

I went alone to my first ProgPower, which was ProgPower III. I knew no one in person, and only a couple of people electronically. By the time I left, I had several new best friends, and a large group of people to look forward to seeing the year after. And the year after that. I haven't missed one since, but unfortunately I'll be breaking that streak this year. Regardless, I echo several previous posts that advise you to just go up to people and say hi, whether in the venue or your hotel. This is one of the friendliest crowds I know of.

Ken

pfft.. ear plugs.

If it's too loud, you're too old.

I know you were just kidding (I hope!), but it's worth reinforcing this point: It doesn't matter how "badass" you are or how lame you think it is to wear earplugs to a concert, 20+ hours of metal over 2 days will *not* be healthy for your hearing. Any store targetted at musicians (Guitar Center, around here) will have musicians' earplugs designed not to trash the sound while they protect your hearing... should be no more than $20 or $25. GET SOME. I actually bring an extra pair, just in case.

The other key words are "pace yourself." It's a long, long show. Relax. Make sure to eat. Make especially sure you get up in time to catch your hotel's free breakfast (if they have one), even if you're running on 15 minutes sleep.

As for going alone... eh, I'm enough of an introvert that after 5 shows, I've managed to basically be alone before, during, and after. Must not be the worst thing in the world, given that I keep coming back...

It's my first time at PP, I'm traveling from Salamanca, Mexico, thanks for the info dudes, hope to meet a lot of you there, last time I travelled to USA for a concert (NY City to see GRAVE DIGGER in February), I met some great people there, I have always said metal community is the best of all.

Just one question, it is allowed a kind of back pack in the concert area?, this is because I'm planning to buy some stuff at PP.

See ya all at PP

...shOKrOK mentioned comfy shoes....since you may be standing most of the time (sitting causes sleepiness in some peeps)...buy the gel insoles...they do help........

...and if you meet chickenkiller....NEVER touch his beer...:loco:

Just one question, it is allowed a kind of back pack in the concert area?, this is because I'm planning to buy some stuff at PP.

I don't think you're allowed packs of any kind. However, the vendors usually have sturdy plastic bags that you can put your merchandise in. Just be sure to ask for one if they don't automatically give you one. :)

I know you were just kidding (I hope!), but it's worth reinforcing this point: It doesn't matter how "badass" you are or how lame you think it is to wear earplugs to a concert, 20+ hours of metal over 2 days will *not* be healthy for your hearing.

Yes, I was kidding. I don't fault people for wearing earplugs seriously. However, in the 5 progpower's I've attended, I've never worn them myself, nor to any show's I've gone to (which, admittedly, isn't many) with no problems. I can still hear clear as a bell.

Make especially sure you get up in time to catch your hotel's free breakfast (if they have one), even if you're running on 15 minutes sleep.

"get up"? I typically party, eat the breakfast, then sleep :lol: ... I'll probably make my way over to the Granada to mooch breakfast if the RI doesn't have any. That'd be lame.

As for going alone... eh, I'm enough of an introvert that after 5 shows, I've managed to basically be alone before, during, and after. Must not be the worst thing in the world, given that I keep coming back...

You should try talking to some people. It could be cool, and if it's not your cup of tea, then glad you're having fun this way :)

ER-20s are worth their weight in gold.

Actually, Rich, that probably wouldn't be all that much money... the ER-20's are pretty damn light. :lol:

I bought a pair of these based on recommendations on this board and they are excellent - highly recommended.

As for the original poster's question - I don't have much to add beyond what has been said already. Just go in prepared to meet a bunch of like-minded and sometimes not-so-like minded people (Prog is better! No, Power is better! Prog! Power! Prog!! POWEERRRRRR) and to have the time of your life. I will warn you ahead of time... you will be addicted and make this an annual pilgrimage!

See ya all at PP

We brought a small day pack last year and had no problem. It was just big enough to cram a water bottle, a couple of shirts, and some CD's in it as well as the goodie bag. I assume small day packs are still okay.....

You should expect getting ass kicked and thrown in a trash can for being a noob. And also a bunch of people with an odd but great sense of humor! :lol::lol::lol:

In all seriousness here expect to just have a great but in the end exhausting time!