New to ProgPower: what should I expect?

Haha, ugh, how do you cope with checking the luggage and then having to WAIT for it when you get to where you're going? I HATE doing that.

Yeah, that's the down side. Once I had a bag that wasn't located until 5 days after I arrived home from vacation! On the plus side, it was a good excuse to go shopping... :lol:

...i bought some of the er-20 baby blues and testing them out at work...the guys there drop the pallets and the sound of that kills my ears...these plugs do help with a little bit of the muting, in that the dropping sound is loud, but a loudness i can handle...as long as i wear the plugs....

and they keep my ears warm :)

Just read this whole thread. This will be my first year as well. Going down with a good friend and his girl. Sounds like it is going to be fucking amazing. Can't Wait.

Btw another question on the Bag issues. Is a Messenger type bag to big to bring in? The one strap across your shoulder, pretty much one pocket type. Thanks, See you all there.

Another thing to expect if you have never attended a ProgPower event before..

If you see a guy with a Georgia accent, probably drunk, and looks like he's attending a Jimmy Buffet concert and not a heavy metal concert - that's Glenn. :lol:

(For those who don't know Glenn, his second favorite music IS Jimmy Buffet, but thank goodness that his favorite music is progressive and power metal :headbang::kickass:)

Can't remember, do the bars inside the venue take credit cards? I know many vendors do, but not all do.

I highly recommend using cash for all transactions, even though the restaurant (Vinyl) takes credit cards...Last year I used my debit/credit card and the bartender decided to write in an $18 tip for himself. That won't happen again this year...cash only for me!! :)

Last year was my first year and I brought a lightweight Jansport type daypack and got no grief over it whatsoever.

Of course, coming into the venue it was empty (leaving it was full of CDs and shirts I bought). Big easy empty pack...unzipped wide open and ready for the security folks to see it's emptiness.

I hope the same will be true this year and I won't be hassled, it's just too handy and I'm not fond of carrying plastic Kroger sacks around or something, lol.

Btw another question on the Bag issues. Is a Messenger type bag to big to bring in? The one strap across your shoulder, pretty much one pocket type. Thanks, See you all there.

Expect a crazy purple haired chick wearing a bubble-wrap dress and coconut halves for a bra.
Expect a dead rat on the way to the venue.
Expect Zod to look mean.
Expect Dolamite Biffle to be highly intoxicated at some point.
Expect a Brazilian strapped onto his vertical hotel bed for the delight of his roomates.

Oh shit... Forget the last one...

and you just might find yourself sharing a meal with 4 or 5 new friends you just met at Subway :lol:

Here's some pics of your 4 or 5 new friends!

1127homelessczar1.jpg

and..

hobo.jpg

I went alone to my first ProgPower, which was ProgPower III. I knew no one in person, and only a couple of people electronically. By the time I left, I had several new best friends, and a large group of people to look forward to seeing the year after. And the year after that. I haven't missed one since, but unfortunately I'll be breaking that streak this year. Regardless, I echo several previous posts that advise you to just go up to people and say hi, whether in the venue or your hotel. This is one of the friendliest crowds I know of.

Ken

WTF, You...Ralf...Zilla....none of you guys are coming? =(