New to ProgPower: what should I expect?

Hey, thanks for all the awesome suggestions, guys! I'm coming in from Nashville, TN.

I *love* NashVegas...lived there for 10 years. Be sure and say hello -- my picture is on the Forum Poster thread.

A couple of other suggestions:

Bring just the CD booklets of the CDs you want signed...it saves room in the ol' luggage.

Pack food. You'll save $$ to buy more CDs in the vendor room AND free up room in your suitcase for said CDs when you get ready to leave.

Although if you are driving down, I guess overpacking isn't as much of an issue. (Stupid airline luggage policies... :bah:)

(Stupid airline luggage policies... :bah:)

Seriously? How much stuff do you bring? I get on the plane with a large carry-on acceptable-size suitcase and a backpack, which gives me a ton of room. I can't STAND checking luggage, so this gets me through any trip. 3 days or less and I just pack the backpack. I may even get by with 2 this year.

When I fly, I normally pack a pretty good sized suitcase. But since SkiBumMSP and I plan on taking the MARTA, then walking to our hotel (Courtyard Marriott on Techwood), we'll pack light. Don't want to be caring a huge ass suitcase on the subway. :erk:

Seriously? How much stuff do you bring? I get on the plane with a large carry-on acceptable-size suitcase and a backpack, which gives me a ton of room.

Let's just say that when airlines started limiting passengers to TWO pieces of checked luggage, that was a sad day for me. :p

I actually do better packing for ProgPower, since it's only a few days, and I can get by on jeans and t-shirts. I still have to check a bag, but at least it's a medium-sized one instead of my Queen Mother Suitcase.

A couple of other suggestions:

Bring just the CD booklets of the CDs you want signed...it saves room in the ol' luggage.

--But also be sure to bring something that can protect the CD booklets from being crumpled if you carry them in a daypack or a fanny-pack. Depending on how many booklets you have, one CD jewel-case might work to put them in.

Haha, ugh, how do you cope with checking the luggage and then having to WAIT for it when you get to where you're going? I HATE doing that.

I guess that depends on the airport you're flying to. I've noticed that, when arriving home at ATL, by the time I get to Baggage Claim from the concourse, the luggage is often already starting to spill onto the carousels.
Due to the travel distances from the concourses to Baggage Claim, the odds of this are higher if you arrive at Concourses C,D or E, and lower (i.e., you might have to wait a bit) if you arrive at A, B or T.

My concern with checking bagage has always been with theft or tampering, rather than waiting for it.

I HATE waiting as well... and considering last time I had to check baggage that when I got back, they put it on the wrong carousel and I was extremely lucky to have spotted it... well, it did not inspire me with confidence. There were probably 100people, many from my flight, in the "lost luggage" line by the time I saw mine on the next one over. I told a couple of people who'd been on my flight, but they didn't even go over and look on the next carousel that I saw. *shrug*

I would definitely recommend packing as light as possible, not only b/c of the airlines, but sometimes you wind up walking further than you thought you'd have to (cab doesn't come, your ride is late, whatever) and hauling luggage around is NOT fun.

Also, be very careful walking, with or without luggage--we Atlantans are not known for being particularly courteous to pedestrians. :)

Shaye

just to know how much money i should bring: how much does a beer cost at the venue? I think beers are awfully expensive in the bars i've seen in atlanta, so i wonder if they're that expensive at the venue too... And is there something to snack there, or do you have to go outside to beat your hunger?

just to know how much money i should bring: how much does a beer cost at the venue? I think beers are awfully expensive in the bars i've seen in atlanta, so i wonder if they're that expensive at the venue too... And is there something to snack there, or do you have to go outside to beat your hunger?

It's about average, IME, I'd say $4-$6 each, depending on what you drink. I typically drink an English cider they only have at the "attached" restaurant/bar/club, Vinyl's, and IIRC, they're around $4-5 each. They do have food at Vinyl's but opinions vary on how good it is, you usually have to wait a bit, and they have been known to run out. That said, the bartenders are two very cute guys. :lol:

In short, I'd eat elsewhere as much as I could but if it came down to chancing missing a band I wanted to see, I'd grab something at the bar. The grilled cheese and fries usually do it for me. :) And definitely bring money if you want to drink.

It's about average, IME, I'd say $4-$6 each, depending on what you drink. I typically drink an English cider they only have at the "attached" restaurant/bar/club, Vinyl's, and IIRC, they're around $4-5 each.

:loco: and I was complaining about paying 2,15 euro for a beer at graspop...

Don't know if it's already been stated but if your going to eat at Vynil they have this time period of 4-5pm or longer where they are cooking for the bands, at least it was that way last year so the backup for a burger was like at least an hour or more.

hey - this seems as good a thread as any to ask: does anyone know what the PP/Venu policy is on spikes or chains (belts, arm-bands etc) at the show? it's been a couple years since i've been to PP, and i can't remember. i know there are several atlanta venu's that will practically strip-search you on the way in to make sure you're not carying anything that could be viewed as a weapon, then there are some smaller shows that could care less. i can understand wanting to keep out actual weapons like firearms or knives, but it gets a little silly when they start regulating wardrobe items that would be harder to weaponize than just using your bare hands. :p i'm not the hostile type, just like to look cool.

just to be on the safe side, it'd be nice to know before-hand if we'll have a hard time with this.

:D lol - thx... had to look these up for reference. so just short/medum spikes in the vecinity of .5" shouldn't be a problem?

If you drink, after your first few (3 or 4 depending on your size), start alternating water and drink. That will help you survive without getting stupid drunk and passing out.

Talk to people. Just say, "Hi." to everybody. I'm horrible at this. Thankfully, my wife is not. But you will find that most of the people at PP are very cool.

I definitely recommend the water drink plan (once you get your buzz on), after many many years of the fest, I finally figured it out last year. :headbang: I'm the wife Yippee refers to and boy howdy I'm good at striking up a strange conversation with anyone!

I have two pointers(especially if you want to stand up front for every band), take some immodium a.d.(so you don't shit in the middle of a performance) and eat plenty of beef jerky(so you don't have to piss every damned second).

Hmmmmm....... immodium + beef jerky ....... perhaps this is the source of the dreaded phantom odor!

Also, it is so easy to hang with the bands it is insane. Getting in an elevator with symphony x or pain of salvation is just crazy, or yet alone sitting at the next table as devin townsend as you eat breakfast at the hotel, or run in to Hansi as you are just walking around town, or run into Kai(and the rest of gamma ray) as his limo from the airport is pulling up to the granada and getting to greet him as he first arives, or getting drunk with vanden plas and some of the guys from mercenary and being sick as a dog flying home from drinking too much, getting to play percussion for d.c. cooper at his acoustic performance, and getting to see the greatest bands perform in such a great venue and getting to meet whoever you want without any effort.

This is really true and one of the really cool things about the fest. Heck, we have several PP marriages on the books now :) It's really cool to just be like regular people with the names you've come to know and love!

You will have a blast and you will come back for more!