New Trivium anyone?

Mm1066

Mediocre metal maker
Dec 18, 2010
Suffolk, United Kingdom

Didn't spot a thread on it so started my own,

But yeah Trivium have just released a new single, and I really dig it. Sounds very Shogun B side. I also really love the mix too. Sounds more Sneapy than the previous efforts by Colin, but I really don't think it's Andy's work. I don't really know who produced it, but one person it could be is Josh Wilbur.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly don't like any part of it. Except maybe the low end. I love some of the stuff Wilbur has done, I could tell it was him right away with that snare. At first it sounds huge but it sounds so fucking fake and so clipped that it's just fatiguing as hell to me.

Trivium has been going downhill to me since Ascendancy.

Elvis Baskette (producer) and Jef Moll (engineer) have some of the best heavy rock productions out there, in my opinion. Those guys get the most aggressive kick sounds ever. The Alter Bridge and Tremonti records sound so damned good, as well.

First listen through I didn't really dig the song at all. The more I hear it the more it grows on me, and that pisses me off beyond reason, because I thought I had
overcome my trivium fanboi-ism with this :lol:

Vocals are super weird. He uses exactly what I don't like about his singing a lot in there, really nose heavy. And goddamn FUCK THAT AUTOTUNE. So obvious and bad vocal editing.

Guitars are super scooped and really low. Drums super loud but at least they sound cool. Production wise a down step from any of the previous ones imo from what I hear in this.

Keen to hear what else is on that album tho.

been listening to trivium quite a lot lately, thinking that it was about time for a new release, well here it is haha.

production is freaking awesome, however the vocals/vocal melodies are so terribly uninspired and chewy.
hope this is not the best track, though bands usually take the besot ones for single release so...:(

oh and +1 on volbeat

I seriously never understood what these guys have. The song isnt that bad but its similar to other shit they put, ok a bit worse but these guys always sounded very generic, very little appealling, boring. Seems they are in the second level of metalcore!lol or what the style they may fit.

This band always sounds like an extremely derivative version of something that is currently popular in the hard rock / metal genre. I can understand when bands start out that way, but Trivium has been a major label band for over a decade. Seriously, no two of their records sound like the same band, and not in that awesome Faith No More kind of way. The good to great production on their records is the only consistent thing I can see about them.

Its kind of unfortunate too, I saw them on a fest once and they were enthusiastic, capable, and above average performers imo. All I can think is that one of them is the son of a label owner or from a filthy rich family that has crazy entertainment industry friends.

I can think of 5 metalcore bands from this era of groups that were more original and consistent than this but broke up or somehow couldnt sustain.

Also this video is goofy, and I dont think that was the intention.

For such a self-important video/concept, that song is incredibly weak. I kept expecting some anthemic chorus or something but it was really paint-by-numbers.

Mix is awesome, guitars are fairly scooped but a 'good' scooped as opposed to 90s scoop haha, which is a nice change from the wave of overdialed mid focused tones of late. Don't hear the huge low end people are talking about, sounds fairly average for a metalcore band, just that the top end is quite smooth and the low mids are phat from the bass and chugs.

Te snare is so slate-y and super eq'd/clipped, sounds like stock 12a as a one shot with another 5 other slate snares blended in to give it that unnatural 'tom with snare wires' dubstep snare sound, in that, it sounds like a Sturgis snare.

The key change so soon was corny AF.

I did not hear any metal core in there,it's all dated heavy metal now with weak vocals and slate drum samples.
The band has always been a pinnacle of mediocrity though.
I used to listen to them just because of Colin's mixing.

I'd be shocked if those guys were using Slate samples on this record. In fact, I'm 99% certain they aren't.

I'd be shocked if those guys were using Slate samples on this record. In fact, I'm 99% certain they aren't.

ahah! It´s like me, I would be suprised if the drum sound it´s not 100% natural because it really sounds like it, no doubt.

ahah! It´s like me, I would be suprised if the drum sound it´s not 100% natural because it really sounds like it, no doubt.

I hope you're being facetious. I don't think it's slate, but Josh Wilbur mixed it. Go listen to his Lamb of God and Gojira mixes, there's DEFINITELY a bunch of the same sample/ verbed sample/ clipping on the snare. It's my one complaint about his mixes. The drums are always just a little too fake sounding. Hate his snares.