News about the CD

Indeed.

I believe the reason most people don't realize that is because, to them, classical music is Mozart and Beethoven.

Well with Mozart I would agree; he was the N'Sync of his day. But Beethoven, not only went outside the box, he transcended reality(by composing some of his most epic masterworks[such as The Ninth] while being completely deaf).

Beethoven would compose something(say in G minor), and you would be listening, and then all of the sudden he would take you to this key that nobody else wold have gone to(like a heavenly A major), and then expertly take you to another place via the same method and/or return to the central theme.

Honestly, Beethoven is considered by many to be the highest level of musical genius for a reason.

Well with Mozart I would agree; he was the N'Sync of his day. But Beethoven, not only went outside the box, he transcended reality(by composing some of his most epic masterworks[such as The Ninth] while being completely deaf).

Beethoven would compose something(say in G minor), and you would be listening, and then all of the sudden he would take you to this key that nobody else wold have gone to(like a heavenly A major), and then expertly take you to another place via the same method and/or return to the central theme.

Honestly, Beethoven is considered by many to be the highest level of musical genius for a reason.

True. :)

My point was that the common perception of classical music simply as "Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, etc." is limited.

Knowing that classical music is ok, and in no way does this mean that those composers are any less than great/genius. But limiting your perception of classical music to those old composers/eras is akin to knowing a couple of iconic rock bands from the 60's and believing that's all there is to Rock music and all the subgenres/styles it produced up until today (including Metal).

There is such thing as Modern classical music (try Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring"). Then there is Contemporary classical music which is literally boundless, and far, FAR from predictable. :lol:

And for some accompanying visual aid; here is a miniature version of the entire piece from the 1980 film The Competition with Richard Dreyduss and Amy Irving.

This is really cool because it has some of really amazing piano choreography and simply the BEST pantomime to keyboard ever put on film. They really trained hard to make this shit look real.

Last edited by a moderator:
am I expected to deny its greatness or find that it didnt sound like classical music ? Seemed fitting for a silent movie and the ending was classic indeed

I think its safe to say that classical composers studied the music of their predecessors and it shows.

The movie Fantasia is bad ass. That is how I first got into classical when I was a little kid then I moved on to symphonic metal. A lot of people don't like Mozart. He really was like the Justin Bieber of his time, the little boy progidy. I personally hate his operas but that aside, he is definately one of the best composers of all time even though just about anyone could be great at music if they were beaten at age 3 if they didn't play what they were told.

Here's a nice performance of the Rite of Spring:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uMfXh4OOx8&feature=related[/ame]

Well I have to agree with Razor on this one, snorefest! And I also agree to a much earlier post, music should not be a mathematical equation. I tried so very hard to get into Spiral Architect, but its just trash. These guys try so hard to be technical, it just destroys any chance of them having decent music...

Listen to their band description even, I don't see one line in it that 'pulls' me in anyway ; Spiral Architect is about continual development, idealism, and intensity. Spiral Architect is controlled anarchy. The aim is to make music that challenges the listener, as well as pushes the abilities of the musicians and man.

Fuck, of course it challenges the listener, it challenges them to actually go out and waste 20$ on one of their albums, you could give me 20$ and I wouldn't even be able to listen to an entire album. And OH how i've tried!

I do find their stuff interesting Proul but havent thrown down any coin on it to give an opinion for sure. Old Watchtower the same thing, pretty amazing mind at work there but again I never owned a full CD or tape. While all musicians "think" about their music to what ever level they are capable of I would suspect that more advanced musicians are also capable of naturally feeling/hearing equally advanced music.

As I said earleir the whole "math" thing was off the origional point I was trying to make about the massive amounts of ideas Symphony X has already applied and I woukdnt want to see them turn to equations to appease some of the finicky and fickle fans.... LOL

Rite of Spring is fantastic guys - give it another chance, I promise it will grow on you!

And shame on disliking mathematical music - anybody want to count all the time signatures in Orion - The Hunter? How about Some Shades of Heavenly Death?

Fuck, of course it challenges the listener, it challenges them to actually go out and waste 20$ on one of their albums, you could give me 20$ and I wouldn't even be able to listen to an entire album. And OH how i've tried!

Okay Spiral Architect is not the best tech metal band, but try Sieges Even's Life Cycle or Watchtower's Control and Resistance and tell me that isn't something to write home about.

Last edited by a moderator:
man Im glad Fates moved away from that stuff it just wasnt very good and obviously Matheos knew that, once he left it far behind after this album he never went back.

predictable snooze fest ^

Did you seriously just call The Rite of Spring a predictable snooze fest?

You're going to call a piece that was not completed in its first performance because it evoked a riot from ballet-going dignitaries a snooze fest?

And once you can successfully tap out the Danse Sacral timing (which changes meter every measure, often getting as detailed as 17/16; and is one of the hardest things for orchestral players to play still to date) you can call it predictable fest if you want.

The Rite is a mind-blowingly incredible piece. You should try to learn to appreciate it.

I haven't heard it yet, but just to point out:

It's not always difficult to write a difficult-sounding piece.

Do you know how easy it is to tack-on an extra 16th note at the end of a scale?

Writing complicated music that actually sounds good/grooves well is the challenging part.