News about the CD

I couldn't agree more with Ken's observations.

Sound quality is usually my number one problem with live concerts, specifically metal ones.

It definitely differs from venue to venue. The place I saw SX at had AMAZING sound quality. And that was for all four bands.

They have since replaced their old sound guy. And he does a MUCH better job. They've also invested in some better equipment since those days. It does depend greatly on venue though, but it has gotten better. At least for the shows out here in Montreal and in Toronto!

I cant buy into the changes from venue to venue though because as I said the earlier bands sounded great. Yes various rooms offer different challenges but something progressively went wrong at my show and it was clearly volumn oriented starting with the drums. I just hope they sound better next time around though I doubt they wil play there again, the crowd must have only been around 100-150 people, just guessing.

Best SX live sound I've heard: L'Amours(Brooklyn, NY- now closed) :(

Worst SX live sound I've heard: BB KING's(Times Square, NYC)

Though the latter was their first show in a very very long time.

But yeah, that is why Rush likes playing the Meadowlands; because although their live sound is pretty good, they liking playing at that venue because they get a very crisp sound.

They have since replaced their old sound guy. And he does a MUCH better job. They've also invested in some better equipment since those days. It does depend greatly on venue though, but it has gotten better. At least for the shows out here in Montreal and in Toronto!

Okay, but see, this is where what I said comes in.

Venues differ, but the sound shouldn't. At least, not the quality. You can have 10 different reverbs, to use an allegory, and even though there's a room and a hall and a plate, they should all sound GOOD.

Therefore there should be a standard which defines, in the terms I named above, what "GOOD" equals. Will it be the same sound at every venue? No. Will it be good sound at every venue? If the sound engineer does their job, yes.

Regardless of what gear the band is using or if it was windy that day, or if one of the stage left 2x18"s blew out.

I think both sides are going to way to far extremes... Symphony X will continue releasing music they enjoy, that's what they did for over 10 years until they caught there big break with Gigantour 2006. They wrote alot of Paradise Lose while on tour, so if its simplified maybe thats why. Maybe the other bands during that time while on tour influenced them. So PL is a little more power metal, so it appeals to a wider fan base. Its still a sweet album. Symphony X....Sorry Michael Romeo, cares about fans. But what we think does not effect what he writes. He has always made music than him, and the gang enjoy, and agree on. Which is what makes them an awesome band. It also leaves their next album up in the air. (I say next as in all future releases) Because where they are, how they feel, or there current influences might effect what there next album will sound like. You could get another V, you could get some Pain of Salvation atmospheric stuff, or some Kamelot. Maybe even Dragonforce if thats what floats there boat (though I highly doubt it lol)!

EDIT: Just an example of the band they where with at the time....
GIGANTOUR 2006
-Megadeth, Dream Theater, Fear Factory, Nevermore, Life of Agony, Dry Kill Logic, Bobaflex... I mean other than DT there is nothing on there that sounds even remotely like Symphony X. Some nevermore, but Megadeth and the rest of them? pffft.

Not that anyone cares what I have to say, but some of you think way to hard about this. You have 40% of the forums who want updates and are anal about it. Than you have 50% of the members who bash everyone for wanting those updates and are anal about that. Anal about proving their point and being right. Than there is 10% who care for both, but could not care less.

The next album, will kick ass! Will it be better or worse than PL? I can't say, I think it will be a perfected PL, they will turn down the loudness, and add abit more progressiveness, and keep the sound of PL. Voila they please everyone. Its symphony x, I'm so confident in them as a band that I'm sure no matter what its called, when it comes out, or what genre it is. I will enjoy it. Love it to death? Maybe not, but enjoy it compared to loads of other music? for sure!

You my friend are RIGHT ON!

seriously, as if Mike and the boys have sat down scheming a way to "make money" rather than have fun and work hard creating "new" music.

"Creating "new" music" : Shall we consider this for a moment ?

Lets see, you've been at this music thing for near two decades, written an amazing pile of epic progressive music. Used nearly every possible note and rhythmic combination you can possibly think of, every riff angle and groove that has come to you in the genre of your pursuit. Now lets do another 60 minutes of epicness and not sound "the same" so we get slagged for that.... not sound like we "sold out" so we get slagged for that... not produce anything that could be considered inferior to our most amazing work... cause if we do we'll get slagged for that... where to turn, please show me great self appointed god like critics.

Only one thing left to do boys, a progressive bluegrass LP and let the slag fall where it may

No wonder so many musicians become distressed or eventually could care less with their "fans". I'd like to see one of these know it all critics approach the band members on their "inferior direction" at an after show meet, with head firmly planted in their ASS !

:devil:

Here's a little math for you. Let's figure out the number of 3 chord progressions possible, without even factoring in rhythm (of which there are, theoretically, an infinite number), time signature, instrumentation, melody and harmony, etc..

Let's be further simplistic and define a chord as 3 unique notes (which discounts chords with more than three notes--there's quite a few of them--and further discounts inversions and octaves). That gives you (12 * 11 * 10) / (3 * 2 * 1) = 12!/(9!*3!) = 220 three note chords. Pull from these any three chords and arrange them in a unique order = 220 * 220 * 220 = 220^3 = 10,648,000.

That's over ten million possibilities before factoring in all the afore mentioned factors which would result in exponential growth. For example, the simple act of allowing inversions ups that number to 2,299,968,000, tossing you well into the billions.

So that argument about exhausting all available ideas does not carry water. If you would prefer a non-math argument, Transatlantic: The Whirlwind. Over 10 years in existence with countless other bands and writing experiences, and just this year they released a completely original MASTERPIECE that is far superior to their previous releases. And they banged it out in a relatively short time period. Absolutely it can be done.

Here's a little math for you. Let's figure out the number of 3 chord progressions possible, without even factoring in rhythm (of which there are, theoretically, an infinite number), time signature, instrumentation, melody and harmony, etc..

Let's be further simplistic and define a chord as 3 unique notes (which discounts chords with more than three notes--there's quite a few of them--and further discounts inversions and octaves). That gives you (12 * 11 * 10) / (3 * 2 * 1) = 12!/(9!*3!) = 220 three note chords. Pull from these any three chords and arrange them in a unique order = 220 * 220 * 220 = 220^3 = 10,648,000.

That's over ten million possibilities before factoring in all the afore mentioned factors which would result in exponential growth. For example, the simple act of allowing inversions ups that number to 2,299,968,000, tossing you well into the billions.

So that argument about exhausting all available ideas does not carry water. If you would prefer a non-math argument, Transatlantic: The Whirlwind. Over 10 years in existence with countless other bands and writing experiences, and just this year they released a completely original MASTERPIECE that is far superior to their previous releases. And they banged it out in a relatively short time period. Absolutely it can be done.

Yes, and no. I like where you're coming from with this, but:

Take unique possibility A and B, just two of the billions and trillions possible. They are exactly identical, except for one note. This technically makes them unique, but the listener will find them similar.

Put it this way, every album by every band is unique if it is not a blatant copy of another, note for note. However, all albums in a particular subgenre will have striking similarities that cause them to be attributed to that subgenre. In other words, variation or not, rock is rock. Transatlantic's latest disc is awesome indeed, but it didn't revolutionize music. It's still a prog rock album.

Exactly Ken and further it takes much more than even the slight variations you point too, still ignoring the personal idenity every musicians music takes which further limits the product, that is why everyone thats not a copy cat has a sound all of their own, its their "feel".

I'd like to quote my origional statement and highlight the key words used that were used intentionally to aviod the exact responce I got.

Lets see, you've been at this music thing for near two decades, written an amazing pile of epic progressive music. Used nearly every possible note and rhythmic combination you can possibly think of, every riff angle and groove that has come to you in the genre of your pursuit.

As if it was that hard to get the jest of what I was saying.......

Anyone that writes music via math I do not want to hear, I like feel, something that comes from the soul, not baffling mental bullshit. Music has to flow naturally from out of nowhere, just show itself, its either a keeper or a scratch.

Anyone that writes music via math I do not want to hear, I like feel, something that comes from the soul, not baffling mental bullshit. Music has to flow naturally from out of nowhere, just show itself, its either a keeper or a scratch.

While your overall intentions here are right; I would like to point out that Bach was a mathematical genius and he actually incorporated quite complex equations and formulas into his compositions. And at the same time, gave us some of the most emotive and beautiful "keepers" ever put to music.

So not only can it be done, but I would just love to know how he did it.

he did it by way of using what felt and sounded right and tossing the sterile. Classical music is quite redundant unto itself as well. Then there is a pile of notes and rhythmic arrangements from it you cant get close to without sounding like your stealing from the classics.

Classical music is quite redundant unto itself as well.

I couldn't disagree more. Classical music is utterly boundless. And this is exactly what attracted the early prog rockers to it to influence their sound.

I believe that this is mentioned in the BBC Prog Rock Brittania Documentary. It's on youtube and is quite good.

But I don't think that if you heard a piece from Vivaldi and then one from Schoenberg, that you'd be able to make the same claim and still keep a straight face.

I couldn't disagree more. Classical music is utterly boundless. And this is exactly what attracted the early prog rockers to it to influence their sound.

I believe that this is mentioned in the BBC Prog Rock Brittania Documentary. It's on youtube and is quite good.

But I don't think that if you heard a piece from Vivaldi and then one from Schoenberg, that you'd be able to make the same claim and still keep a straight face.

This. I had a guitar teacher years ago who said metal and progressive is just "classical music with distortion".