News about the CD

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence = perfection.

I guess the band in question just has to be good enough to pull it off as most single disc albums fail to maintain high standards from start to finish.
Personally I have enough confidence in SX that musically and themeatically they could definitely execute a killer double disc with a great story.

Some of the double discs are sweet, don't get me wrong, but more often than not its just a quick cash in to attract people! I care more for a live DVD from symphony x than a double disc. They have never done it in the past, I doubt they will start now (double disc that is). If anyone where to do it right, i'm sure symphony x would. Thank again, we though the bonus paradise lost dvd would be the shit... Well it was...shit that is!

Double discs are best reserved for live albums... for whatever reason, they get tedious as far as studio albums go. Plus, in my estimation, there are few ways to immediately let everyone know you are a pretentious cock than to release a double album :lol:

but are they any good ? for some reason what little I've heard doesnt get me off, I figure someday I'll buy the classic what is it, Nightfall on Middle Earth ? and see what all the fuss is about. Is there any particular amazing song I should check out on youtube ?
----------------

I love 6 degrees but face it that touchy feelly stuff on disc two is not for SX and if disc 2 was more of disc one... it would be.... more of disc one

I'll stick with my feelings on double discs and second Zachs idea about live recordings, they need to be double discs to capture the whole show

Double discs are best reserved for live albums... for whatever reason, they get tedious as far as studio albums go. Plus, in my estimation, there are few ways to immediately let everyone know you are a pretentious cock than to release a double album :lol:

Trespass: :dopey:
Nursery Cryme: :D
Foxtrot: :D
Selling England by the Pound: :tickled:

...The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway: :zzz:

Nightfall in Middle-Earth is indeed the big one.
I personally think that Sacred Worlds that Marwen posted is BY FAR the worst song on the album and one of the worst Blind Guardian songs.

Here are my favorites

Somewhere Far Beyond, a good mix between classic thrash Blind Guardian and later symphonic chaos Blind Guardian:

Mirror Mirror from Nightfall in Middle-Earth. Probably my all-time favorite BG song:

The Bard's Song is crazy live, every BG fan knows the lyrics by heart:

One of their more pompous songs:

My favorite from their more speed/thrash metal'ish era:

Their most popular song from that same era:

And finally the best song from the new album:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the problem with double discs is that they start when a band has just over a disc of material, so to fill up the second disc, the just write a bunch of filler music, I do believe that when a double disc is done right it it perfection, but this is very rare

Great selection there Phanto.

I personally don't think 'Sacred Worlds' is as bad as you put it though, I couldn't help but like it. But my favorite song from the new album has got to be 'Wheel of Time'. I was going to include 'Mirror Mirror' as well as it is my favorite Blind Guardian song, but the ones I found on youtube had shit sound quality.

I don't know why I don't like Sacred Worlds. And I was wrong, there are worse songs. On Forgotten Tales (basically a cover album).

I guess the band in question just has to be good enough to pull it off as most single disc albums fail to maintain high standards from start to finish.
Personally I have enough confidence in SX that musically and themeatically they could definitely execute a killer double disc with a great story.

this paragraph makes no sense. you claim it's challenging to make a single disc, then laud bands that put out doubles. either you think they're very very exceptional, or you brain farted.

Double discs are only better when the music is good. same for single disc, ep, whatever... filling it up just to be more prog and epic is bullshit

this paragraph makes no sense. you claim it's challenging to make a single disc, then laud bands that put out doubles. either you think they're very very exceptional, or you brain farted.

Double discs are only better when the music is good. same for single disc, ep, whatever... filling it up just to be more prog and epic is bullshit

Never mind the writing...I have heard people who, upon listening to Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence or Thick As a Brick, tell me that they have listened to a 40+ minute song, as if that is something impressive. Congratulations - you have an attention span beyond a dog's? I mean, most albums average 45 minutes anyway, so it's not like you're extraordinarily patient or anything, especially when most "songs" in questions are actually collections of songs that fit no more smoothly together than your average early 70's prog rock, non-concept album.

Length is just not impressive in of itself. Here's how to be more progressive in around six minutes than anything your typical prog metal band has done in their entire career:

It makes it EXTREMELY hard to justify a double album...even great bands like Genesis and Helloween, The Beatles, etc. have crumbled under the pressure of filler in their attempts to make them. The only double album I can even think of that still stands as awesome is Bitches Brew, and come on, that's because of how free the forms are!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, the new BG album is out!? I remember hearing a while back that they were sorta planning a new one but I guess I kind of just forgot about it...

I remember "Sacred Worlds" from when it was still just the short version that made its debut in the game Sacred 2.

I think "Wheel of Time" is pretty cool because after more than 10 years of being too intimidated to, just a few months ago I started reading the book series (on book 2 now).

Anyway, im liking what I hear and am anticipating the announcement of a US release date. This is definately sounding better than their last album!

I think "Wheel of Time" is pretty cool because after more than 10 years of being too intimidated to, just a few months ago I started reading the book series (on book 2 now).

That series was such a disappointment for me in the long term. After a few books the story simply doesn't hold together anymore and it all gets kinda ridiculous.

All my firends have come to the same conclusion. Simply had to stop reading at one point.

But there are definitely some good things in the first half of the series. Keep reading as long as it feels enjoyable.

I wouldnt call 6DoiT a double disc, I would say it was more of a disc and a half. Pretty sure Symphony X could pull off a double album but it would need to be perfect and may rip open space and time as we know it, causing our heads to implode :(

Never mind the writing...I have heard people who, upon listening to Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence or Thick As a Brick, tell me that they have listened to a 40+ minute song, as if that is something impressive. Congratulations - you have an attention span beyond a dog's? I mean, most albums average 45 minutes anyway, so it's not like you're extraordinarily patient or anything, especially when most "songs" in questions are actually collections of songs that fit no more smoothly together than your average early 70's prog rock, non-concept album.

Length is just not impressive in of itself. Here's how to be more progressive in around six minutes than anything your typical prog metal band has done in their entire career:

It makes it EXTREMELY hard to justify a double album...even great bands like Genesis and Helloween, The Beatles, etc. have crumbled under the pressure of filler in their attempts to make them. The only double album I can even think of that still stands as awesome is Bitches Brew, and come on, that's because of how free the forms are!

This post doesnt make any sense either, much like the King Crimson song, reminds me of driving at night when AM radio would pick up two-three stations at the same time. Being all based on a outlandish personal opinion as state of the facts makes it as foolish as demanding a double album for double albums sake.

Chicago II was a good double album, you have to like that kind of music and theres some variance but its one of my favorites of the period. JCS a double album and Physical Graffiti made a splash. Still none of these are nearly as long as a double disc. Six Degrees is a great recording if you are into the music and it has nothing to do with it being "long", I simply enjoy putting both discs in and listening to it. Thick as a Brick was astonishing to those of my generation that enjoyed it and again it had nothing to do with how long it was, it was the trip. Another of my personal favorites is Salisbury but at one side of a vinyl I think it still clocked under 20 min.