News about the CD

Still those double vinyls were not as long as a single disc.

I was reading up on the Chicago discography the other night and thier first 4 (I believe) studio albims were double and they had a eary live release that was a four album box set.

Im into Chicago this week, not for metalheads.

That's a good point, forgot about that. 45 min. versus 75 minutes is a big difference.

My dad blasted Chicago all the time (along with Earth Wind and Fire and Tower of Power...) when I was younger, so...I think I might be done with them for life. If they have good double albums, I will never know because I'm staying away from that. Yikes.

Still those double vinyls were not as long as a single disc.

I was reading up on the Chicago discography the other night and thier first 4 (I believe) studio albims were double and they had a eary live release that was a four album box set.

Im into Chicago this week, not for metalheads.
Early Chicago is pretty cool. Terry Kath had some great guitar riffs, and in fact I read somewhere that Jimmy Hendrix was a huge admirer of his playing. Their music was proggy, in a jazz sort of way. The variety of vocalists kept things interesting. Then at some point they turned into a top 40 sappy ballad producing machine. Only in it for the money. And chicks. Oh well. :Smug:

Early Chicago is pretty cool. Terry Kath had some great guitar riffs, and in fact I read somewhere that Jimmy Hendrix was a huge admirer of his playing. Their music was proggy, in a jazz sort of way. The variety of vocalists kept things interesting. Then at some point they turned into a top 40 sappy ballad producing machine. Only in it for the money. And chicks. Oh well. :Smug:

Thanks Bill, spoken for the truth. Yes thats been stated many times and I think there is a interview where he mentions Kath, of course Jimi was listening, Kath was in a dream band... full horn section, not confined to one style. From what I read Robert Lambs writing was waneing, the producer was pushing for the pop sound and one particular Cetera song hit it big and the band kept leaning that way and then Terry died and thus vanished the groove he brought to the mix.

My sister sent me copies of V and VII and Im digging them pretty good, still not the rawer energy of CTA and II. Their music was proggy at many points, various fills and tangents as proggy as ELP and others, even a few fusion-ish sounding nibbles but they threw that stuff here and there in otherwise conventional songs, they also were a bit of a jam band, common for the times. But what stands out the most is their horn section and the arrangements. Ceteras bass work is a must hear for bass players, the guy was no sloutch, very precise (to my ear), tasty, strong presence and groovin.

But again we didnt have all the anger back then and werent afraid to leave our testosterone at the curb from time to time. I wouldnt expect many younger people to like it, especially on a metal forum.

not too bad of a early live recording from 72, song was from 69, first track of CTA properly entitled Introduction, dont think you've heard the whole thing from the first minute, it travels abit

Last edited by a moderator:
^Amazing performance, amazing song...Didn't care too much for Chicago, until now! After seeing that video, I'll make sure to check out their early stuff.

studio version is ALOT better, Terry was a bit ruff singing live, his words came out good in the studio, his solo was cleaner and the studio fidelity Chicago had was probably the best of the era... but then my CD's are most likely remasters. CTA and II are must haves in my book and I did not really pay alot of attention to them back in the day because I was hardrock only, my sister had II and my buddys older brother had CTA, we liked them but would quickly reach for some Zep, Pie, Heep or Deep.

The summer of '71 I was 13 and my father actually took us to see both JCS and Chicago, Chicago was HUGE, the latest greatest thing and thier concert set a record volumn at that venue something like 32,000 or 27,000 people, beating the record that the Who previously had. They really were the overall definitive sound of late teen/college crowd circa 71-72 (USA). The Who and the Beatles were old news, Zep and other hardrockers were mostly a underground kind of nitch, Grand Funk were the big selling hardrockers, James Gang and Guess Who was fairly popular amounst the masses but Chicago was totally different and unique... at least to the ears of whites but their overall influence came from the larger "Chicago blues" bands that had horn sections and jazz influences + rock

As Postulate mentioned this sound was in Blood Sweat and Tears as well as this particular 1970 one off hit by Ides of March, which still pumps me up to this day, more recent footage as old farts... so we got old... Zep had a song called "your time is gonna come"....LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
no update = worrying? I'd be a lot more worried if they idled on the friggin internet instead of writing music. no news = good news. get over it...

It's almost as if you're saying that you have basically accomplished nothing of great value in your life, due to the number of posts you have made...

:p I only kid, of course.

I'm pretty sure the band can inform somebody of the progress of the album without sacrificing anything (which, imo, also suggests that you HAVE accomplished a lot in your life).

Ah, Ides of March... I dig that song so. Good post, Steve.

Thank you

other than that all I can say is oh no "its back" (the topic), now thinking of future ways to further derail said topic away from the moaning long ago addressed in the "news" sticky, yet has gone ignored.

Perhaps some political debate on US policy is overdue....... :lol:

Has Jax even been on recently? I haven't see her...

But i'm antsy for another update, as small as it may be :\

I guess she's a busy lady. If anything has been green-lighted she will probably post it pretty quickly.
The simple fact is probably that there aren't any updates to be posted.