NEXT BIG BAND!

The Hammer

Thrasher
Jul 13, 2002
Italy
members.xoom.virgilio.it
Hail everyone!
I'm into metal since 1986 but lately I think metal is not able to produce a big band like Iron Maiden,AC/DC,Judas Priest,Megadeth,Kiss,Metallica and more. I mean that probably no one is able to invent something new into metal and I have to admit it's not so easy to do that. I'd like to know from you which will be the next BIG BAND able to headline big metal festivals and to fill arenas and stadiums.
Hard this...isn't it?:headbang:

I really don't think there's that much originality in metal these days if you stop to take a cold hard look at it, not to say that there isn't a lot of stuff going on in metal. Name me some bands that have came out in the last 2, maybe 3 years which were completely & unquestionably original??? Of course there has been a lot of fresh new stuff done in the last 10-15 years, but not so much the last 2-3. Metal has evolved extremely quickly. Also, no matter how diverse metal is, I don't think it will ever cater to the mainstream. Even mallcore bands that are talked about like The Black Dahlia Murder are not mainstream, & never will be. I don't think we will ever have an AC/DC of metal or anything like that, & if we do it will be about 25 years or so before that idea comes to frution. By that time we will all be old farts who will probably hate that band for being new, fresh, young & popular.

How many albums are you listening nowadays before saying:"Here is a masterpiece!". I think many. Today production is the main think.I'm not saying there aren't good bands around but I think we need more. Also old big bands aren't able to write masterpieces so I think metal scene needs someone great to bring a new era of metal.....

There are many reasons for there being no next 'big band' in Metal, at least in the foreseeable future. First and foremost, the music industry and the culture in general has changed; musical trends have changed. There was a time when heavy metal was at the forefront in its heyday, so to speak, chiefly through its most accessible outlets. But it's old news now. Heavy metal for the mainstream is a relic from the past. Another reason why there will never be another big band is because metal has become increasingly inaccessible to the mainstream, and all of the new innovations in metal have leaned toward the side of further extremity and thus further alienation. I really don't think we'll ever see another Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, etc. It's not about quality at all, it's about mass appeal.

Hail everyone!
I'm into metal since 1986 but lately I think metal is not able to produce a big band like Iron Maiden,AC/DC,Judas Priest,Megadeth,Kiss,Metallica and more. I mean that probably no one is able to invent something new into metal and I have to admit it's not so easy to do that. I'd like to know from you which will be the next BIG BAND able to headline big metal festivals and to fill arenas and stadiums.
Hard this...isn't it?:headbang:

Incorrect. If no newer metal bands were groundbreaking at all, metal would still be stuck in the NWOBHM days, or thrash at the very latest. Black and death metal, genres which took up where thrash left off and paved their own separate paths, would not exist today. Not to mention, there's other genres too, such as grind and metalcore that have innovated, and changed the genre, as well.

It wont be as exciting when other bands do the exact same things as the ones you mentioned. That's for sure. If you look deep into the metal sub genres you might find recent stuff you like.

Of Raven & Ruins hands down.

I mean, look at the last century - there's always been someone who steps up to the challenge, even when nobody thinks it's possible.

There will be no Next Big band because their are too many genres in metal, back in the day NWOBHM was probably the only genre, thrash was underground and death was underground and the popular crap was hair metal which isn't metal to me

Right now, I'm not saying they are even close, but I'd have to go with Arch Enemy. They have headlined a few good tours, But there are 1000's of bands who are capable, but probably just don't give a shit.

Originaly I would have said Dragonforce to be the closest, but I pretty much know everyone's opinion on them. So let's just leave it at that.

The big metal bands these days seem to be "metalcore" acts such as Killswitch Engage and Lamb of God. Will any of these bands eventually be considered classic masters like Metallica, Slayer and Judas Priest? If you go far enough into the future, I think it's possible, as new generations of bands and fans are inspired by them and then get into deeper metal, as most or all of us has. That is, unless the internet has ruined popular music forever and kvlter than thou antics shall forever reign. Or unless the popular bands of today are just abnormally terrible or derivative. At this point I'd say it's definitively up in the air.

Iron Maiden,AC/DC,Judas Priest,Megadeth,Kiss,Metallica

Killswitch & LoG aren't 1/10th as popular as those bands in their heyday. Never will be.

There are people who make thousands of dollars & all they do is sit in a room & calculate what the next trend is going to be, or what it should be according to how much it will be able to profit. I guess it's possible that eventually metal will hit the mainstream, but it won't happen this generation, or the next. Like I said, I think it will happen in 25-35 years... & even then I don't know if it will happen. There is obviously metal that is "popular" now but it's still nowhere near mainstream.

I don't understand why anybody bothered to post after me. I'd already said everything that there was to say.