NFL 2012

skeptik

Feb 7, 2003
I apologize for starting one of these so early, but there's just so much going on with the Steelers right now that it's hard not to talk about.

First of all, the Steelers opened the offseason with what GM Kevin Colbert projected to be a salary cap $25M over the limit, at around $145M. In the last couple weeks, they have made the following moves:

Cut Bryant McFadden (starter on 3 Super Bowl teams)
Cut Arnaz Battle (special teams captain)
Restructured the contracts of LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons
Restructured the contract of Ike Taylor
Restructured the contract of Willie Colon
Then the big restructure, Ben Roethlisberger

And now, in the last 2 and a half days, they have cut Hines Ward, Chris Kemoeatu, Aaron Smith, and James Farrior. That is a shitload of leadership walking out of the locker room. Farrior was the quarterback of the defense for the past decade and the defensive captain. Arnaz Battle was the special teams captain. Hines Ward was the co-captain of the offense along with Heath Miller last year. Aaron Smith is one of the most beloved Steelers of all time. On top of all that, longtime backup nose tackle Chris Hoke retired a month ago. He played most of the 2004 season when the Steelers went 15-1 because Casey Hampton tore an ACL. He was another locker room favorite. Who steps up to replace them? Obviously Ben Roethlisberger is now the unquestioned leader of the offense. He's now the oldest, having just turned 30. On defense, you have Polamalu, Harrison, Woodley, and Keisel, but none of them are what Farrior was as a leader. He was the nucleus.

aaronsmith_sack.jpg

wardcut_bailey.jpg

20091025pd_steeler_b_330.jpg

All in all, this is what all of these moves have amounted to in terms of the salary cap:

QB Ben Roethlisberger: Restructure — $8.15 million
LB LaMarr Woodley: Restructure — $6.56 million
LB Lawrence Timmons: Restructure — $5.14 million
WR Hines Ward: Release — $3.37 million
CB Ike Taylor: Restructure — $3.28 million
OL Willie Colon: Restructure — $2.85 million
LB James Farrior: Release - $2.825 million
CB Bryant McFadden: Release — $2.5 million
OL Chris Kemoeatu: Release — $2.39 million
DL Aaron Smith: Release — $2.11 million
WR Arnaz Battle: Release — $1.04 million

Total savings: approximately $40.2 million

This gives the team about $15M to work with to sign their free agents. Mike Wallace is obviously the most talked about, for good reason, but the idea of putting the franchise tag on him is insane, especially this year. The tag hit for WRs this year is close to $10M, and the team just doesn't have that kind of money. And he's not worth that kind of money. Neither is DeSean Jackson, who was already tagged, or Dwayne Bowe, who is expected to be tagged. But, also consider the depth of this WR class; why would a team want to give up a 1st round pick AND sign a player to a gigantic, front-loaded contract to make sure that the Steelers don't match the offer when they can sign an unrestricted free agent like Marques Colston or about a half dozen others? Sure, the Patriots have the draft picks to spend, but after throwing a couple away last year on Ochocinco and Haynesworth, you'd think they would be more prudent about it. The Steelers should be able to keep him with a 1st round tender at $2.7M.

But that still leaves them with only 3 WRs on the roster, which makes me think that they really would like to re-sign Jerricho Cotchery, but he doesn't want to be a 4th receiver. Maybe they draft somebody.

Releasing James Farrior means the Steelers need to find his replacement. Maybe they have their eyes set on drafting Dont'a Hightower now that Dontari Poe has risen up the draft boards. All of a sudden, however, NT, ILB, and S are critical needs. It's unlikely that Poe, the NT, will fall for the 24th spot, but Hightower might be there, as might Mark Barron, a S, although I don't really like the idea of drafting a S in the first round. They could also use a guard, but I don't see one at 24.

Long story short, what are you hoping your team drafts, and what is the likelihood that they are able to?

Also, evidently some scandal just broke with the Saints in some kind of bounty system that higher ups in the organization at least knew about.

Between 22 and 27 defensive players on the New Orleans Saints, as well as defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, maintained a "bounty" program funded primarily by players in violation of NFL rules during the 2009, 2010 and 2011 seasons, the NFL announced Friday.

The investigation by the league's security department determined that an improper "pay for performance" program included "bounty" payments to players for inflicting injuries on opposing players that would result in them being removed from a game.

In some cases, the amounts pledged were both significant and directed against a specific opposing player, according to the league's investigation. Four former Redskins players, including defensive end Phillip Daniels, told the Washington Post that Williams had a similar system while serving as the Redskins' defensive coordinator.

Saints general manager Mickey Loomis failed to stop the bounty program when directed to do so by team owner Tom Benson, while coach Sean Payton was aware of the allegations but did not pursue them or take steps to stop the "bounty" program, according to the investigation's findings.

"I want to express my sincere regret and apology to the NFL, Mr. Benson, and the New Orleans Saints fans for my participation in the 'pay for performance' program while I was with the Saints," Williams said in a statement. "It was a terrible mistake, and we knew it was wrong while we were doing it. Instead of getting caught up in it, I should have stopped it. I take full responsibility for my role. I am truly sorry. I have learned a hard lesson and I guarantee that I will never participate in or allow this kind of activity to happen again."

The findings, corroborated by multiple independent sources, have been presented to commissioner Roger Goodell, who will determine the appropriate discipline.

"It is our responsibility to protect player safety and the integrity of our game, and this type of conduct will not be tolerated," Goodell said in a statement. "We have made significant progress in changing the culture with respect to player safety and we are not going to relent. We have more work to do and we will do it."

The NFLPA issued a statement Friday, stating it would review the findings.

"Health and safety is a paramount issue to the NFLPA," the statement read. "The NFLPA was informed of this investigation by the NFL earlier today and will review the information contained in the league's report."

Goodell has advised the Saints that he will hold proceedings to determine potential discipline against the team and the individuals involved, and confer with the players' union regarding the appropriate punishment. That discipline could include fines, suspensions and the forfeiture of draft choices.

"I have been made aware of the NFL's findings relative to the 'Bounty Rule' and how it relates to our club. I have offered and the NFL has received our full cooperation in their investigation," Benson said in a statement. "While the findings may be troubling, we look forward to putting this behind us and winning more championships in the future for our fans."

According to the investigation, the players regularly contributed cash into a pool and received improper cash payments of two kinds from the pool, based on their play in the previous week's game.

Williams administered the program with the knowledge of other defensive coaches and occasionally contributed funds, according to the league investigation.

Payments were made for plays such as interceptions and fumble recoveries. But the program also included "bounty" payments for "cart-offs," meaning that the opposing player was carried off the field, and "knockouts," meaning that the opposing player was not able to return.

The investigation showed that the total amount of funds in the pool may have reached $50,000 or more at its height during the 2009 playoffs. The program paid players $1,500 for a "knockout" and $1,000 for a "cart-off," with payouts doubling or tripling during the playoffs.

"The payments here are particularly troubling because they involved not just payments for 'performance,' but also for injuring opposing players," Goodell said in a statement. "The bounty rule promotes two key elements of NFL football: player safety and competitive integrity."

The NFL has a longstanding rule prohibiting "non-contract bonuses," and they violate both the league constitution and bylaws and the collective bargaining agreement with the players' union. Clubs are advised every year of this rule in a memo from the commissioner.

"Our investigation began in early 2010 when allegations were first made that Saints players had targeted opposing players, including Kurt Warner of the Cardinals and Brett Favre of the Vikings," Goodell said in a statement. "Our security department interviewed numerous players and other individuals.

"At the time, those interviewed denied that any such program existed and the player that made the allegation retracted his earlier assertions. As a result, the allegations could not be proven," Goodell said.

"We recently received significant and credible new information and the investigation was re-opened during the latter part of the 2011 season."

Chicago Bears wide receiver Earl Bennett was injured by a hit from Roman Harper, who was not flagged or fined, in a Week 2 loss to the Saints. Bennett missed five weeks with a chest injury.

"All I have to say is I hope we play them again," Bennett told ESPNChicago.com Friday. "The game of football is a contact sport, so if they're gunning for me, I'm going to be gunning for them."

Williams employed a similar system while with the Redskins from 2004-07, according to a report Friday in the Washington Post.

Three former players said Williams handed out thousands of dollars in accordance with a specific scoring system, including "kill shots" that resulted in opposing teams' top players being knocked out of the game.

Daniels, however, went on the record in the Post report and defended Williams.

"I think it is wrong the way they're trying to paint (Williams)," Daniels told the Post. "He never told us to go out there and break a guy's neck or break a guy's leg. It was all in the context of a good, hard football."

Daniels told the Post it was his understanding that Williams started the "bounty" program with money collected from fines for players being late for practices and meetings.

"Rather than pocket that money or whatever, he would re-distribute it to players who had good games or good practices," Daniels told the Post.

Daniels told the Post the most money he ever received was $1,500 for a four-sack game against the Cowboys in 2005.

According to the NFL investigation of the Saints, Benson was not initially aware of the bounty program and directed Loomis to make sure it was discontinued immediately. The evidence showed Loomis did not do so, investigators found.

"Similarly, when the initial allegations were discussed with Mr. Loomis in 2010, he denied any knowledge of a bounty program and pledged that he would ensure that no such program was in place. There is no evidence that Mr. Loomis took any effective action to stop these practices," according to the league's findings.

Payton "was not a direct participant in the funding or administration of the program," according to the investigation.

However, Payton "was aware of the allegations, did not make any detailed inquiry or otherwise seek to learn the facts, and failed to stop the bounty program. He never instructed his assistant coaches or players that a bounty program was improper and could not continue," the investigation found.

The investigation included the review of approximately 18,000 documents totaling more than 50,000 pages, interviews of a wide range of individuals and the use of outside forensic experts to verify the authenticity of key documents.

The secondary and offensive line were suspect going into the offseason, and while some draft picks were used on the Oline, it needs more, and the secondary is still abysmal. The hope was that Rob Ryan's blitz schemes would put enough pressure on QBs to cover up the weak secondary. Well, it worked when it worked, and when there was no pressure, they got torched.

As far as a general postseason review goes:

Quaterback:

Romo posted one of his best years ever. McGee is servicable as a backup but no "heir apparent". Immediate backup likely needs to be addressed this year via free agency.

Running Back:

The Cowboys were 3-6 without Murray starting/playing, 5-2 when he started. This speaks volumes to the impact he had on the team. This season showed Jones is exactly what he was originally drafted to be, a complementary back, nothing more. With Murray/Jones/Morris in, RB should be fine. The Cowboys seemed to have finally found a true fullback in Fiammetta. Now if he can stay healthy. Murray's YPC was several cut while Fiammetta was out.

Receivers

Laurent Robinson. Wow. The Cowboys need to lock this guy up. Bryant needs to improve to being a constant threat, he has a tendency to quit when the route doesn't get him open, as opposed to getting open like Robinson does when plays break down. Miles Austin can't stay healthy, and had two critical drops in the game against the Giants. Witten is solid as ever. Bennett played better this year, but according to the coaching staff, is an excellent blocking

Overall, the position is solid and doesn't need addressing.

Offensive line:

Romo has been making his line look better (statistically) than they are for the last few years, and this year was no different. He was sacked too often even with all his play extending scrambles. Tyron Smith, the rookie RT, is the best lineman out of the bunch by a long shot. Holland played well after coming back from initially being cut. Free is Flozell returned with his constant false starts, and he looked quite average against elite pass rushers. Free started his career at RT, it's possible the Cowboys need to consider swapping Free and Smith. Kosier is the veteran but he isn't getting any older. Costa (Center) played servicably in his first season as a starter. Jury is still out. A new OG is needed, and possible shifting of the position assignments.

Defensive line:

Ratliff is one of two Cowboys to get a Pro Bowl nod this year, and for good reason. He is a man among boys in that defensive line. The Cowboys have relied on role playing defensive ends swapped out constantly to gain an edge in freshness that they lacked in skill. This has seriously hurt the pass rush, and often leaves Ratliff double teamed. DE needs to be addressed in the offseason.

Linebackers:

Ware is the other Cowboy to make the Pro Bowl, finishing the year second in the league in sacks. Sean Lee is the other stud in the linebacker corp, leading the team in tackles and tied for the lead in interceptions with four. Spencer has cemented his reputation has an underachiever, a bust considering his first round draft status, and both Brooking and James are too old and slow to man the middle alongside Lee. Spencer will probably stay on the squad, but Bruce Carter needs to challenge for a starting spot. ILB needs addressing.

Secondary:

When a linebacker has more interceptions than most of the secondary combined, something is seriously wrong.
Ball has no business starting and Newman has no business playing anymore, even though he led the secondary in interceptions to tie Lee. He dropped a critical sure pick six in the first Giants game, Ball failed to cover a fumble in the second, and also had a critical penalty on special teams. Sensabaugh was just signed to a five year deal, and while being the secondaries best tackler, the jury is out otherwise. He also failed to cover a punt in the second Giants game and lacks speed to cover the Cruz's and Jackson's of the East. He isn't going anywhere though this offseason.

Jenkins is the only starting caliber CB on the team, but seems to be made of glass, or other fragile materials. Scandrick has played at a consistent level as a nickelback, but will never have an "island".

Kicking:

McBriar has been one of the top punters in the league for years, but 2011 saw a drop in production and injury problems. His future status with the team is in doubt.

Dan Bailey did an excellent job on clutch kicks this year, blocked kicks and coaching errors excluded. I expect little competition in camp for this constantly problematic position for the Cowboys over the last 4+ years.

Overall, in assessing the Cowboys offseason needed personnel moves: Starting caliber OG, S, CB, MLB are required additions this offseason for playoff contention in 2013. Other positions that may also be addressed are any other position on the offensive line, punter, backup quarterback, defensive end, and outside linebacker.

So far, the swapping of Free & Smith has already been verified.

Saw Mendenhall isn't expected back either. At least that's what ESPN said today.

Well, it's possible, if not likely, that he starts the season on the PUP list, but I think he'll be able to contribute this year. It may well be his last with the Steelers though. He's the type of runner whose excellence is dependent on consistent blocking, and the Steelers' o-line has been in the bottom-third since Alan Faneca left. I think he can be a top 5 runner if he ran behind a line like Houston's or something though.

I am kind of excited about the prospects of the running game without Mendenhall though. I like the guys that they have behind him, and I think they could make an excellent RB-by-committee. Redman is capable of getting difficult yardage and makes his own holes, and his YPC has been more than admirable thus far. Behind him is a bunch of young guys like Jonathan Dwyer, John Clay, and Baron Batch. They drafted Batch in the 7th round last year and was receiving rave reviews until he tore his ACL in training camp. All reports are that he's almost fully recovered already though. He should replace Mewelde Moore as the third down/pass catching back this year.

Edit: With Bruce Arians gone, it will be interesting if Todd Haley decides to use a true fullback.

I dislike the Steelers, but I predict they will continue to be a good, tough team. They draft and develop players as well as any team in the league it seems.

The Saints bounty scandal doesn't really surprise me. Very unprofessional and embarrassing though.

Da Bears used the Franchise tag on Matt Forte. I hope the Bears can work out a long term deal for Forte before the season starts. The Bears also released Anthony Adams and Frank Omiyale. Omiyale's release was overdue in my opinion. I will be shocked if any team in the NFL signs him for 2012 after his pathetic performance with the Bears.

Depending on how much Forte is paid the Bears should have about 20-23 million in salary cap space. Hopefully that is enough to upgrade wide receiver, offensive line and the pass rush.

Its hard to know what to think of the Steelers right now. That's a lot of leadership to lose in one offseason. However it was inevitable with an expensive, older team like that. The Steelers have good leadership, so they should be able to bounce back.

The Eagles tagged Jackson, which I think is the right move. Yeah, he's overrated, but fits the Eagles system really well. I would expect McCoy's production to drop if Jackson left town. I don't see a better fit on the free agent market, so I say keep him. If a good, bigger receiver is available in the draft, then go for it. These days, you really need three good receivers.

As far as the draft, I would like LB Luke Kuechly. I know, Reid doesn't draft LBs early in the draft, but considering how terrible the LB play was this season, I think he might have to change his mind. However, I'm not sure Luke will fall to 15 after his great combine performance.

Guard David DeCastro would also be a good pick, if Even Mathis leaves in free agency.

But mostly the concern is linebackers, linebackers, linebackers. I honestly think most of the other units on the Eagles are pretty solid or are close enough that there is no need for panic, but the linebackers are just awful.

I completely agree with you about Kuechly. He seems to have the potential to be that kind of defensive leader that can really organize a team. He and DeCastro might both be there on the board for the Eagles. I'd love for the Steelers to be able to get either of those guys, or Poe, but it's likely that they'll all be gone, and probably too far gone for them to even make a move for them. Unless Poe somehow falls, I'm left hoping for Hightower, and possibly drafting a NT like Alameda Ta'amu or Michael Brockers if he can show that he can stay dedicated and add weight.

Reports are now surfacing that Gregg Williams was running a similar bounty system with the Bills and Redskins, while reports about the Titans seem to be mixed. I wonder how deep this actually goes. I mean, surely he's not the only coach to have ever done this either, but how far has he, personally, gone? After all, he's seemingly the first coach to be spotlighted for it.

The Colts are still going to draft Luck regardless of what happens to Peyton IMO.

Yeap, saw that yesterday too and posted it on FB. He looks pretty fucking good if you ask me man. I've been saying Fuck Luck ever since that shit started and I will continue saying it with even more conviction.

TRADE THE PICK IRSAY FFS AND LOAD THIS TEAM UP FOR PEYTON

0% chance.

I completely agree with you about Kuechly. He seems to have the potential to be that kind of defensive leader that can really organize a team. He and DeCastro might both be there on the board for the Eagles. I'd love for the Steelers to be able to get either of those guys, or Poe, but it's likely that they'll all be gone, and probably too far gone for them to even make a move for them. Unless Poe somehow falls, I'm left hoping for Hightower, and possibly drafting a NT like Alameda Ta'amu or Michael Brockers if he can show that he can stay dedicated and add weight.

Yeah Kuechly seems to have it all. Execution, production, instincts and leadership. Now that he has shown himself to have the physical skills, I don't think there's many questions left.

I think Hightower would work well as an ILB in the 3-4, but he probably lacks the speed for the 4-3. Seems like a classic Steelers pick.

I just saw that as well. I suppose nobody could really claim that it's surprising, although I still always maintained that they would keep him, and that that would not impede them from drafting Luck anyway.

I've never seen Peyton get emotional like that, it was hard to watch. RIP to one of the greatest era's in NFL history.

peyton-manning.jpg

Now, here's to hoping he signs with the Dolphins and makes Brady and Belichick's life a living hell twice a year for the rest of his career.

Depends on where he ends up man. If he lands on a team with an average or above average defense, the sky is the limit. Peyton is a better QB than Montana, much better in my opinion, so as long as he finds a team that isn't a complete fucking embarrassment like the Colts were/are/will be, I think he'll, at the very least, be in the playoffs every season until he retires.

I'm hoping he gets drafted to the Redskins. That way, I won't have to watch a shitty team every Sunday and it may inspire the Cowboys to stop throwing games away.

Tony Dungy was quoted saying that Peyton won't necessarily want to go to a team that can win a championship...but he will want to go to a team were he'll be comfortable.:lol:

Thats all you need to know about the player.