NFL 2012

The scuttlebutt on ESPN is Dallas/Washington are going to fight the ruling/ignore it. Draaaaammaaaa.

Anyway yeah, the front office has made no secret about restructuring the contracts of several key players, and will be saving some cap space by releasing washed up/expensive veterans like Terrance Newman. They may have to work out a long term deal now though with Spencer to remove that expensive franchise tag and clear up some more space this year, assuming the ruling sticks.

:tickled:

Just a few days after the Redskins trade all their picks they totally fucked with their free agency plans. I think they can still sign one big name free agent, but considering how many holes are on that roster, they really need more than that.

A lot less damaging for Dallas, but probably a big enough hit to take them out of the Nicks hunt, though I don't think they were the favorites anyway.

wierd that the 49'ers grabbed Moss.
I trust Harbaugh though. I guess Harbaugh himself picked Moss up from the airport and was throwing him balls for the workout. So that's pretty damn cool.

:tickled:

Just a few days after the Redskins trade all their picks they totally fucked with their free agency plans. I think they can still sign one big name free agent, but considering how many holes are on that roster, they really need more than that.

A lot less damaging for Dallas, but probably a big enough hit to take them out of the Nicks hunt, though I don't think they were the favorites anyway.

Interestingly enough, theres a theory the Redskins rushed the trade through because of the penalty. Can't remember where I read it.

With all the other holes Dallas has to fill, 5mil off the cap makes it hard to sign a guy who wants in the 8.5mil range (Nicks).

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4690667/penalty-might-not-kill-cowboys-plans

IRVING, Texas -- The NFL’s decision to dock the Cowboys $10 million in salary-cap space, as ESPN’s Adam Schefter has reported, wounds the team’s ability to improve in free agency but does not kill it.

The Cowboys can spread that hit over the next two years if they choose but they were already planning on re-working a number of contracts to create enough salary-cap space anyway.

The Cowboys have triggers in the contracts of cornerback Orlando Scandrick and tackle Doug Free that would save them roughly $8.6 million in cap space. Re-working the contracts of DeMarcus Ware and Dez Bryant could net about another $4 million in space.

The Cowboys can create as much as $7.26 million in room on Tuesday by cutting cornerback Terence Newman (designated as a post-June 1 cut) and kicker David Buehler, who is scheduled to count more than $1.6 million against the 2012 cap and lost his job to Dan Bailey last year.

On Sunday the league announced the 2012 cap would be $120.6 million.

The Cowboys were carrying a credit of around $17.1 million over from 2011, which would have in effect made their cap $138.2 million in 2012. If the Cowboys chose to take a $5 million hit in each of the next two years because of the sanctions, then they would have a cap of roughly $133.2 million this year.

With the $8.856 million franchise tag on linebacker Anthony Spencer, the Cowboys would be just below that threshold and that would not including the tenders offers they would put on restricted free agent fullback Tony Fiammetta and exclusive rights free agents Jesse Holley, Clifton Geathers and Jermey Parnell.

Make the aforementioned contract and roster moves, and the Cowboys would have about $15 million to $17 million in cap room, which is plenty to sign a starting cornerback, guard, backup quarterback and Laurent Robinson depending on the structures of the deals.

Bears acquire Brandon Marshall from the Dolphins for 2 3rd round picks, reuniting Marshall with Jay Cutler.

Cowboys cut Terrence Newman.

Giants re-sign CB Terrell Thomas, who missed all of last season with a torn ACL, in favor of Aaron Ross, who is now officially a free agent.

The Saints earlier re-signed Marques Colston to a 5 year, $40M deal as well.

Cowboys also cut Buehler, and restructured the contracts of Orlando Scandrick and Doug Free. Total cap savings somewhere in the range of $16m.

Pierre Garcon signs with the Redskins.

Vincent Jackson (reportedly) to Tampa Bay.

Vincent Jackson (reportedly) to Tampa Bay.

Now official. 5 year deal. Carl Nicks to visit Tampa Bay.

Jason Campbell lands in Chicago as well as a backup.

Redskins sign another receiver, Josh Morgan from TB, to a 2 year deal.

Mario Williams visiting with Buffalo. If they land Williams and convert to a 4-3...Williams, Wilson, Dareus...ouch.

It is good to see the Bears land a genuine number 1 receiver. I am interested to see what Cutler and Marshall will be able to achieve now that they are reunited. I'd like to see the Bears try to sign Mario Williams but I get the feeling that they will try to secure help for the defense through the draft.

Now official. 5 year deal. Carl Nicks to visit Tampa Bay.

Jason Campbell lands in Chicago as well as a backup.

Redskins sign another receiver, Josh Morgan from TB, to a 2 year deal.

Mario Williams visiting with Buffalo. If they land Williams and convert to a 4-3...Williams, Wilson, Dareus...ouch.

Apparently he is signing with Buffalo and we get Meachem. And we converted to a 4-3 and promoted Wannstedt to Defensive Coordinator in the off season. If Fred Jackson does just as well, and Fitz stops throwing games away we may actually have a legitimate team for once

This is not about when QB's hit thier twilight. Last I checked prior to Mannings injury...he and his team was still viable. Its about one team purposely tanking it not being prepared with a proper backup etc. In a similar situation the Pats lost Brady for a season and still went for it (10-6) I believe. They didn't quit like a bunch of losers as did the Colts. No shit the QB is the foundation and we know how great and important Brady is...but it's still and always will be the ultimate team game. Atleast still try and overcome...don't lay down, thats all.
Silly point. You don't have to look much further than the Bears to see that even a team with everything to play for can completely bomb when the QB goes down. They were more talented just about all across the board than the Colts and still went 1-5 without Cutler against rather bad competition.

On a general note, I really liked the Bears moves today. The new GM is off to a good start. Let's hope the draft is good. Brandon Marshall and Cutler have a good relationship, and Lovie Smith's personality is as good a fit as possible for Marshall. I would have preferred to bring back Orton rather than Campbell, but ideally Campbell never sees the field other than garbage time. With Marshall's rather favorable contract, there's still money there to go for Mario Williams or another WR or OL help. I want Williams; him and Peppers would devastate together. But Chicago doesn't seem to be the favorite, though they are interested.

Reggie Wayne re-signs with the Colts for 3 years. Nice of them to keep at least one piece in place for their new franchise quarterback.

Rams sign Cortland Finnegan to a 5 year deal.

49ers retain Carlos Rogers. Great move for them.

Apparently he is signing with Buffalo and we get Meachem. And we converted to a 4-3 and promoted Wannstedt to Defensive Coordinator in the off season. If Fred Jackson does just as well, and Fitz stops throwing games away we may actually have a legitimate team for once

That defensive line will rival the best 4-3s in the game like the Giants and Lions if they land Williams. I'm a huge fan of Kyle Wilson. Meachem and Johnson would be a nice pairing as well. They have a decent line from what I understand, at least in the interior. Just based on my loose knowledge of the team, I would say that if they manage to draft a starting left tackle in the 1st round, which is certainly doable, and possibly pick up a linebacker (and assuming Fitzpatrick and Jackson play up to their full potential for a full season), they can definitely field a playoff team, although that is a decent amount of 'if's.

Kraig Urbik is the one draft pick that the Steelers let slip away too soon in many years.

On a marginally interesting Steelers note, the team is reportedly interested in TE Kellen Davis, although no meetings have been scheduled. Kevin Boss is another they (I speculate) they might consider. The Steelers could be in the market for a #2 TE to complement Heath Miller because the current #2, David Johnson, is more of an H-back type who usually blocks out of the backfield and lacks above average blocking at the line and average hands at best, while the number #3, a second year undrafted guy, will be suspended for the first 4 games, which means there's a good chance he can be released. Although I would be really disappointed should that happen, because I happen to be a fan of Weslye Saunders, many believe that will be the case. Perhaps the decision hinges on whether they can find a replacement. If they do not, they have a potential temporary fill-in in the form of Jamie McCoy sitting on the practice squad. It's unlikely that the Steelers look at any other free agents, except possibly a very cheap offensive lineman, or, less likely, defensive end, something that they also have on the practice squad in Corbin Bryant.

Kellen Davis should be cheap. His measurables and the eye test suggest he's a really athletic TE, but he doesn't play up to that promise. He still manages well enough to be open when the route is set up for the TE, and he has good hands for a TE, but not a great blocker. Will do fine as a second-stringer with some upside.

Well, unfortunately for the Bills, Robert Meachem has signed with the Chargers for 4 years. Good move by them after losing out on Jackson.