NFL 2012

The game really came down to the Raven's D making stops when they needed to. They certainly didn't dominate, I don't even recall there being a sack. How many redzone stops was it? 3 or 4? Flacco's arm helped a bit too :p

What did you guys think about the play where Baltimore takes a safety at the end? IMO, brilliant strategy, knowing that you can hold the shit out of every single player on defense with no repercussions as long as the punter manages to step out of bounds eventually. I can't imagine the NFL is thrilled with that loophole though. I think the best they can do is enforce the yardage on the free kick, since penalty yardage is already assessed on kickoffs following scoring plays anyway.

I was going to watch Super Bowl, got struck down by a severe case of dysepsia and had to spend hours on the toilet with a bucket between my knees instead of watching good football. Now I can't even find a decent torrent!

FML!

Goddamnit Dak, shut the fuck up. People like you and this Wayward cunt honestly destroy the integrity of the game more than a few shitty calls or a power outage ever could.

Or Spygate, Bountygate, or any of the "Spy/Bountygates" we don't know about,etc. Shit gets rigged/cheated/etc all the time in sports. It's only caught some times. And how does asking a question about the integrity destroy the integrity? That's about as stupid a statement as Anderson Cooper saying questioning Sandy Hook details is disrespectful to the families. If you want to start throwing around "fuck up" statements, then "grow the fuck up".

I'm glad that the Ravens managed to pull ahead, but to imply that there was an attempted fix is fucking absurd.

No one ever believes it until someone gets prosecuted.....unless it happens to their team/player/etc. I'm not so biased.

@The safety call: Smooth move.

While its not outside the realm of possibility that the NFL would pull a stunt like that, I feel it would've been easier to just call a bunch of penalties to keep it even rather than delay the game for eternity, resulting in a huge loss of viewership. I feel that the latter happens all the time.

I think after the Ref lockout, and the ability for constant replays on demand, the penalty thing is getting worn out as far as public tolerance. "Technical difficulties" are much more excusable. They just did some major renovations to the lighting and display system in the Super Dome prior to the Super Bowl to make it more "Green" and use less electricity. Make of that what you will. Maybe the Halftime show was just too intense for the post Katrina grid. Who knows. I just don't rule out a "fix" for the 3rd quarter of play.

It is just absurd to think that the league itself would be involved in some fix just because it was looking like a blowout.

It makes SO much more sense that the 48ers took the time to make the adjustments needed to comeback like they did against the Falcons than 'wups someone cut the power to kill the Ravens momentum'

Spygate, Bountygate, Chargers getting caught with a Stick-um substance, etc. were all teams cheating. They did something wrong, got caught, and were punished for it. I'm not saying teams don't cheat, because it is pretty blatantly obvious that many teams across all sports try to get a leg up via less than ethical means...

BUT to say that the NFL is going down a route that the NBA would? Don't buy it for a second...

and questioning the events of Sandy Hook isn't disrespectful to the parents, specifically, its just dumb and going against all common sense.

It is just absurd to think that the league itself would be involved in some fix just because it was looking like a blowout.

BUT to say that the NFL is going down a route that the NBA would? Don't buy it for a second...

and questioning the events of Sandy Hook isn't disrespectful to the parents, specifically, its just dumb and going against all common sense.

What your sense of "sense" appears to be based on, is that once you reach a certain level or are in a personally, arbitrarily defined situation, people and/or the institutions they inhabit become above reproach. THAT is absurd.

You say you think the National Basketball Association would do such a thing, and then turn around and say the National Football League wouldn't? Whats the difference other than the type of sport?

You say the teams within the league would cheat to improve their position relative to their interests, but that the league wouldn't do the same. What makes the sum different than it's parts?

But you're speculating with absolutely nothing concrete to back it up. :bah:

That's a definition of speculating.

speculating present participle of spec·u·late (Verb)
Verb
Form a theory or conjecture about a subject without firm evidence.

The NBA has had known fixes and crooked officiating occurring. I suppose it is POSSIBLE that the NFL could be involved in this, in the same way it is possible that God will appear tomorrow and smite me where I stand...

Just not likely and would cause a FAR bigger backlash if found out than individual teams being caught cheating...

and what makes it different? The NFL is HUGE, FAR larger than the NBA, NHL, and MLB and would be severely putting its standing as the #1 professional sport in America at risk...don't see it willing to do that simply to make the Super Bowl a little bit closer.

and mind you this did happen at the Saints facility, an organization that has very few good feelings towards Goodell and the current NFL big wigs...

They would have nothing to lose by calling the league out on that

Not to mention if the NFL was involved in fixes there is simply too many people that would have to be in the know to make it work...which would lead to a leaking of information, especially in this day in age. Paying off officiating crews is one thing, cutting out power supply at your biggest stage and having players fold in order to 'make it close' is another.

I think it's idiotic to think the NFL itself would put in a fix. Some asshole off on his own? Not impossible.

That safety play was such a gamble. Like if he hadn't been able to hold the ball away for a solid 8 seconds that could have blown up in their faces.

I think it's idiotic to think the NFL itself would put in a fix. Some asshole off on his own? Not impossible.

That safety play was such a gamble. Like if he hadn't been able to hold the ball away for a solid 8 seconds that could have blown up in their faces.

the 49ers should have got the ball back with more time on the clock. clear holding on the ravens wasn't called on that safety which would have resulted in the clock being stopped when they threw that flag

I think it's remarkably silly to credit toughness, heart, and lack of fear for victory, rather than talent, strategy, and execution. I mean, let's say SF does score with one minute to go and hold on. Does the result of 3-5 plays determine that one team or the other had more intangibles in their favor? The difference in the game by the end was largely that Baltimore had a huge special teams play, won the turnover battle, and took advantage of a putrid performance by the homophobe on SF.

I think its silly that you don't think its a factor. Its football not chess. Intangibles are more a factor in football than any other sport.
The players feed off that emotion fearlessness etc that I mentioned. Most guys don't even try to return that kickoff. The Ravens play with an edge an attitude. There is something to be said for that...its not the only factor in winning but they ride that wave better than any team.

As far as I'm aware, the clock never stops because of an offensive holding.

it does when it results in a safety. any offensive penalty in the end zone is a safety and results in an automatic 2 points and stoppage of clock. the only time that might not be true is if there is a defensive player near the ball with a chance to make a play example causing a fumble and recovering the ball which would mean a TD. no one was close to the ball though when the holding in the end zone occured

No matter what questions about misdeeds come up, the go to defense is "too many people, someone would talk", which simply isn't true. Most potential conspiracies require very few actors/knowledgeable parties, and no one has to talk. We wouldn't need FOIA if we could just assume someone always talks. Secondly, often when someone does talk, its either such an old event no one cares, or it gets no attention.

The NFL's prime directive is "achieving parity". A blowout between the supposed two best teams on the biggest stage in the world isn't broadly entertaining nor in line with the NFL's market strategy.

Again, I'm not saying it's certain. It's just a very valid possibility.

Regarding the safety, supposedly holding is normally not called on punts. The clock also does not stop for offensive penalties. Shrewd move.

No matter what questions about misdeeds come up, the go to defense is "too many people, someone would talk", which simply isn't true. Most potential conspiracies require very few actors/knowledgeable parties, and no one has to talk. We wouldn't need FOIA if we could just assume someone always talks. Secondly, often when someone does talk, its either such an old event no one cares, or it gets no attention.

The NFL's prime directive is "achieving parity". A blowout between the supposed two best teams on the biggest stage in the world isn't broadly entertaining nor in line with the NFL's market strategy.

Again, I'm not saying it's certain. It's just a very valid possibility.

Regarding the safety, supposedly holding is normally not called on punts. The clock also does not stop for offensive penalties. Shrewd move.

as soon as the kicker ran with the ball its not a punt so a holding penalty should have been called. all scoring plays result in the clock being stopped. as soon as they threw a flag for holding on offensive in the end zone its a safety, the refs would have gone to the booth and put the clock at whatever time it was when they flag got thrown

I just think it's absurd because the advertising commercials will never not be huge for the Super Bowl, everyone talks about them. I don't see one day, it being the World Series commercials or the NBA playoffs commercials..why would the NFL risk it when this is probably yet another massive year of revenue gain, maybe if they had a shitty year (like never reaching a deal with the refs?), but whatever this is gone to far and cool for Ravens, and 49ers will probably be back or close to it for like 5 seasons