Night Is The New Day album sales....

Katatonia makes great music,but unfortunately their image isn't that good and that's what helps a band the most imo..

^ TRUTH

its pretty much undeniable that most bands that ANYONE here consider to be good DONT get the limelight of mainstream media. the fact is that bands always do better when they are trying to get noticed and stay afloat, but as soon as they get a steady income (label) its usually at the price of the quality of their music. Dream Theater comes to mind for me, im sure everyone has had a favorite band sell out. Images and Words will have frequent plays for the rest of my life probably, but as soon as they knew that people would buy their record based on the big name on the cover, they've made nothing but shit (opinion yes i know)

and kscope is going places that peaceville is not imo, they've got the most impressive roster out there right now, with PT, anathema, riverside.... to add kat's name to the list would do wonders.

and i have little against roadrunner, i have to say that opeth retain their individuality in making records imo. i watched the lamentations dvd interview and heard Akerfeldt say how he wanted to make a black metal concept album, then they got signed to RR and i was scared shitless it wouldn't go down, but it did. but i am scared shitless again about what the next album with sound like with their fanbase doubling (it seems like it at least) since 2008.

i watched the lamentations dvd interview and heard Akerfeldt say how he wanted to make a black metal concept album, then they got signed to RR and i was scared shitless it wouldn't go down, but it did.

What you talkin' boi? They never ended up doing a BM album. Akerfeldt was just throwing out possibilities at the time.

^ TRUTH
and kscope is going places that peaceville is not imo, they've got the most impressive roster out there right now, with PT, anathema, riverside.... to add kat's name to the list would do wonders.

What?! Kscope may have an impressive roster by YOUR viewpoint, but they're a subdivision of Snapper. Going from Kscope to Peaceville is a SIDEWAYS move! The only band on Kscope to do anything MORE than release a CD is Porcupine Tree in the US. And in the US, they are SIGNED to ROADRUNNER! And Roadrunner merely acts as a marketing label. Porcupine Tree had a GOOD tour history going back to the early 2000s in the US, and it was Porcupine Tree themselves who built that tour history. Not a label.

If Katatonia are going to "break" it's not going to be on a Snapper label, who at this point have ZERO pull to get their product in US stores. Porcupine Tree is an exception, but that's because they have a US sales history based on IMPORTS. Though Ark21 did license Signify for the US. Later than that they were on Lava, then Atlantic and now Roadrunner, all which are part of their Warner Bros. contract. Anyway, you can't compare Porcupine Tree to Katatonia on any label/retail/tour level in the US.

If you want Katatonia to succeed in the US, you'll have to A) buy the record in a store (if you can find it!) B) request your local indie stores stock it so you can buy it C) buy concert tickets for you and your friends when they tour here.

Katatonia will get a following in the US only if they build on a few great tours. They got the music, but no US presence, apart from press. Radio is being worked for NITND, too at college and Specialty. But that's a short-lived (maybe end of Q1) promotion.

Those sales figures are pathetic. Someone's not doing their job! On the other side, it a tough fucking world, there's way to many *so called* musicians out there that pollute the air and make it harder for established bands to successfully market their product.

Back to my original statement, NITND is amazing and has enough pop/alternative qualities that opens up a huge market! Peaceville needs to get off their ass and market this album the way it deserves to be marketed. NITND is IMO the best CD I've herd in 10 years. Pure emotion, and brilliant production. It makes me sick to see some suck ass media whoring band sell 100's of thousands, and such a beautiful creation like NITND struggle.

Sorry dude. Those sales numbers are GOOD! For a band with NO US label presence. This is the fanbase buying the albums. It needs to build week after week. But that will only happen with long-term exposure (i.e., touring, etc.)

Yeah, NITND is amazing. No doubt. I agree. Peaceville/Snapper need to market the record like their lives depend on it, but they might not be so aggressive if this is Katatonia's last Peaceville/Snapper album. It's good to promote a band to sell current/back stock, but it's no good to promote a band if the current/back stock isn't in stores! What do people buy then?

Katatonia needs to be a media-whoring, attention-starved band to sell 100,000 copies. It's not unreasonable given the music and production qualities. Media-whoring, attention-starved bands are long visions. Opeth has the long vision, going back to Blackwater Park. How many tours have they been on, how many times have they been here? Compare that to Katatonia. Incomparable. This IS NOT about music, either. It's about going for it and believing in what you do. Of course, Opeth had Koch/Music For Nations, both of which are/were LIGHTYEARS ahead of Peaceville/Snapper in every respect. Opeth had a good foundation to work from. And boy did Opeth work. Now, it's Katatonia's time to work.

^ TRUTH

its pretty much undeniable that most bands that ANYONE here consider to be good DONT get the limelight of mainstream media. the fact is that bands always do better when they are trying to get noticed and stay afloat, but as soon as they get a steady income (label) its usually at the price of the quality of their music. Dream Theater comes to mind for me, im sure everyone has had a favorite band sell out. Images and Words will have frequent plays for the rest of my life probably, but as soon as they knew that people would buy their record based on the big name on the cover, they've made nothing but shit (opinion yes i know)

and i have little against roadrunner, i have to say that opeth retain their individuality in making records imo. i watched the lamentations dvd interview and heard Akerfeldt say how he wanted to make a black metal concept album, then they got signed to RR and i was scared shitless it wouldn't go down, but it did. but i am scared shitless again about what the next album with sound like with their fanbase doubling (it seems like it at least) since 2008.

Looks like you don't know Opeth's discography very well dude

What you talkin' boi? They never ended up doing a BM album. Akerfeldt was just throwing out possibilities at the time.

the dark occult concept on the album was the black metal element not the style of the music.

and about kscope, it seems to me that they market decently to the US with fans here multiplying overnight for all the bands i mentioned, i think any two band off their roster tour the US and they'll have VERY solid ticket sales.

One thing to make album sales rise...a bit..heh:

Buy the new album to a friend for Xmas. It's a good thing more people should do in general. Buy the current year's best album for a friend and make him/her do the same for you. Hopefully that's Nitnd.

This way you're forced to hear some new music now and then too ;)

We're three friends doing this...

No kidding, they worked so hard that 2 (important) members said fuck it, and quit. Sometimes I miss the old "underground" opeth. Those *hunger for success* days delivered some great music.

You know the whole story do you? Do tell. I'm VERY interested to know what you know and how you know it. I'm guessing you're going to be wrong.

and about kscope, it seems to me that they market decently to the US with fans here multiplying overnight for all the bands i mentioned, i think any two band off their roster tour the US and they'll have VERY solid ticket sales.

Overnight? That's not Kscope's doing if something of the sort ever happened. Solid ticket sales, AGAIN, is not Kscope's doing. That's the fanbase AND word of mouth.Or the band marketing themselves properly and being on the right tour package.

Tell me the last time you saw a Kscope advertisement on this site. On any site, matter of fact. What about print? What about TV or radio?

I don't hate Kscope, so it's not a hate rant on Kscope. Practically speaking, if Katatonia is to move FORWARD they'll not sign to a label that offers them the same thing -- i.e., MONEY! for marketing, promo, tour support, recording, etc. -- that Peaceville does. I get that you have a love affair with Kscope but if you REALLY wanted Katatonia to succeed as artists then you wouldn't want them to sign to Kscope.

Let's put it this way. Katatonia shouldn't quit Burger King to work at McDonald's.

One thing to make album sales rise...a bit..heh:

Buy the new album to a friend for Xmas. It's a good thing more people should do in general. Buy the current year's best album for a friend and make him/her do the same for you. Hopefully that's Nitnd.

This way you're forced to hear some new music now and then too ;)

We're three friends doing this...

First good idea I've heard in awhile.