Night Is The New Day

I find the intensity in some posts kinda disturbing. lets all chillout a bit..

as for the album. its good. in fact parts are musically brilliant. but just like tgcd for it it needs time to sink in. for me it feels very.. radical a change and I need to absorb it into the KATATONIA file in my head/heart/memory. But on its own, as a piece of music its astonishing.

Finally got around to listen to the album on a proper stereo system, or at least equivalent in some way...and damn this baby is rock solid atmosphere the whole way through.

Grade A Katatonia material. I still don't care for Kristen's vocals, but one half of a song won't ruin the whole album to me...probably their finest moment.

And I don't care if Idle Blood gets compared to Opeth or PT...this is their most beautiful song ever...even beats Quiet World for me(...well maybe).

Can't wait for 5.1 :D

I gotta say, to all you guys complaining that Night Is The New Day isn't The Great Cold Distance or Viva Emptiness, why would you want it to be? I love the older material just as much as all you guys but I was dying to see the new direction Katatonia planned on taking with their music and I must say, Night Is The New Day couldn't have been any better.

hahaha! You think Katatonia create music for their fans? And when did they sell out again? Oh, right. They didn't.

Any halfway decent band is not going to cater their passion around what fits people best.

If you like the music; great. I'm sure they're immensely thankful and humbled. If you don't; I doubt they could give two flying shits. This isn't mainstream pop culture.

This band owes you nothing.

You didn't understand anything at all. But who cares?

Uh, you need to wake up! Number one people are allowed to have different opinions, your opinion is no better than anyone else's. Number two, you neglected to read the ENTIRE SECOND HALF of my post where I made it clear how much I appreciate the album and have gotten past my initial complaints. Everyone imagines what the album might sound like before they hear it, get real. Number 3, I have been supporting this band and buying all of their products since 1993, so I think my love and respect for this band is clearly evident.

You felt addressed? People seem to be a bit sensitive here, in it? :loco:

Here I was thinking that I loved the album yesterday and the day before...
Today it has grown so much on me again. Now I LOVE it!
I'm growing more fond of the 'weaker' parts. And even my favorite parts are growing better every day.
They did something really special on this record.

Btw, the only part I can't really get into is the moment before the second chorus in Onward Into Battle (2:32-2:48). Any thoughts?

Btw, the only part I can't really get into is the moment before the second chorus in Onward Into Battle (2:32-2:48). Any thoughts?

Yep. That's the part that I didn't like either. It doesn't seem like it fits the feel of the rest of the song. I would have rather just heard a nice guitar lead during that part. It's too 'forceful' sounding or something. I can't explain it better but I know my eyebrow raised when I heard that song the first time through. Apart from that though, "Onward Into Battle" is one of my top favorites.
Jack

Yep I found that part kinda random and euphoric at first but then I noticed that it's quite similar to the bass melody before it, so it sort of makes sense now, I enjoy it.

Promise of Deceit, Departer and Ashen. They are all I can get out of this album so far. Hoping to find some more to enjoy...

Edit: I like Liberation too but the intro is just too annoying for me...

Ok, after some 100 spins of the cd my faves are: the longest year, onward into battle, new night and departer. But all songs are ok.
I like this album way more than TGCD, which i didn't like all that much.
I think the big problem is that Jonas is the main songwriter for the band now, and i really miss the melodic and beautiful guitar leads from Anders in Discouraged Ones, Tonights Decision and Last fair Deal Gone Down, which was for me the last Katatonia masterpiece.

If i was to rate all kata albuns it would be something like this:
Out of 10

BMD - 9.5
SOD EP -9.5
DO - 9.5
TD - 9
LFDGD - 9.5
VE - 8
TGCD - 7
NITND - 8.5

And there are some other songs from Singles that everybody knows that are great: Dissolving Bounds, Unfurl, and my fave: SULFUR. In this song we have great examples of what i miss about katatonia. The beautiful guitar leadsby Anders.

You didn't understand anything at all. But who cares?

And what didn't I understand? You were pretty clear. Or is that just the best defense you have? You think people should be grateful for the band creating the album; regardless of whether they hate it or not. Why? It wasn't a favor. Secondly, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Whether or not the band worked hard at creating this album is totally irrelevant to how one will feel about it objectively. Such is the case with anything.

Was the same for me, but after some digestion, it has grown on me fittingly. At first it seemed so out of place, but now it kinda reminds me of a dark, contemporary heavy groovin' katatonic 70s prog rock lick :kickass:

Here I was thinking that I loved the album yesterday and the day before...
Today it has grown so much on me again. Now I LOVE it!
I'm growing more fond of the 'weaker' parts. And even my favorite parts are growing better every day.
They did something really special on this record.

At first I didn't like it, it was pretty erratic and seemed to take away something from the song, but now that I expect it, it seems kinda cool.

To all u pedantic people here in the forum:
Katatonia have put their asses in a rathole to create this fantastic album for you!

And You? Oh, the songs are too short ... there are no lead guitars ... no big choruses ... it's not complex enough ... lack of diversity ... to pick up just a few of those silly phrases you typed in.

Wake up! Listen to the album, enjoy the songs ... and after 6 months you come back, relaxed - without the childish expectations you had in mind before the album was released - and then you can judge, a bit. Ok?

And you can be lucky that Katatonia are not AC/DC or Motörhead, right?
They work really hard, so please show respect!

You have a really good point here. Sometimes expectations can ruin an album before you even listen to it. This time around I had absolutely no idea what this album would contain, and I made no promises to myself that I would love/hate or anything in between. I just kinda took it at face value and was amazed after the 3rd day of listening. I think too many people create these unfounded wishes on what they want the album to be. It goes back to the fact that some of my all time favorite albums were the ones that I almost discovered by accident.