NIGHTWISH May 2009 USA TOUR

Yeah, Volbeat was awesome. Glenn can finally get off my back for not owning a CD (still don't, but the mini-me wants one too). They are definitely a band I can add in with Flogging Molly for the Sunday morning romp around the house to annoy the neighbors.

It used to be black. Do a google search then go to the images tab. Not a blonde picture in sight. Nor was she blonde while singing for Alyson Avenue.

I haven't been my natural hair color for close to 6 years now. I hate my natural color.

She's a natural blonde. Said so in an interview that used to be you on youtube. She's been both blonde and brunette in Alyson Avenue as well. http://therockblog.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/alysonavenue.jpg
http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/36/m_5171786e24879ed46cd0b955af3b21f3.jpg

She looks WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better with darker hair!!

Volbeat hasn't done squat for me from the studio songs that I've heard. With that said, I can see them being enjoyable live though. I'm wondering if they'd win me over, much the same way as Mustasch did last year?

~Brian~

Volbeat hasn't done squat for me from the studio songs that I've heard. With that said, I can see them being enjoyable live though. I'm wondering if they'd win me over, much the same way as Mustasch did last year?

~Brian~
I thought they were slightly better live than Mustasch

Volbeat was indeed incredible!!!! They put out GREAT energy and they have a ton of fun up there. The set list felt a little abbreviated (I was disappointed to not here Still Counting) but still extremely enjoyable.

This was my 2nd time seeing Nightwish, first with Annette. I will take Annette's vocals ANY DAY over Tarja's. I much prefer being able to understand (at least most of) the lyrics and I like the tone and cadence of Anette's voice. I thought Nightwish had a decent vibe going and the performance was extremely professional and solid. The problem for me was that Nightwish simply couldn't follow Volbeat's energy. The type of music was almost too different for me. Volbeat has a kick-ass-take-no-prisoners rock n roll metal vibe and Nightwish is more ethereal and mystical. After a solid Volbeat set, I just wasn't in the mood for long interludes, intros, heavy keys, etc. I also was not a fan of the set list at all!

So for me, the performances were great, but my overall experience was:
Volbeat 8.5/10
Nightwish 6.5/10

Yeah after a night of Exodus & Kreator thrashing up the place...I thought Volbeat brought the energy and I just did not feel it from Nightwish, which is why I guess my wife and I left early.

The is a great interview with Micheal on Blabbermouth.net right before the show in Atlanta. Can you say VOLBEAT USA HEADLINING TOUR in 2010?

After seeing Mastodon at Center Stage last night, I realized this would have been a much much better venue for the Nightwish show.

Yeah after a night of Exodus & Kreator thrashing up the place...I thought Volbeat brought the energy and I just did not feel it from Nightwish, which is why I guess my wife and I left early.

Were you both wearing Progpower shirts?

A bit late to the afterparty, here... :)

I enjoyed both bands...really wish Volbeat could have played longer. I bought a Volbeat t-shirt, since Nightwish had completely sold out between one visit to the merch table and the next.

If the show wasn't sold out, it was darn close.

Anette sounded better than I was expecting, sans a few rough high notes early in the set. She seemed to settle down after that.

The diversity of the audience (and the t-shirts) was kinda breathtaking.
"Wow, Dying Fetus?!"
"I haven't seen a Behemoth shirt yet-- oh, nevermind."
"Holy shit! Warchild!? That's our author-friend's brother's band!"
"How the fuck did that guy get an Old Man's Child t-shirt from the new CD? For that matter, how did he get an Old Man's Child t-shirt at all!?" :)

Great to see a lot of familiar faces, too. :headbang:

I haven't seen NW live in about a year and a half. I figure, I've seen them tour for DPP twice, Anette is pleasant, I can wait until the next album is released and they tour for that. I'm glad I haven't been seeing them any more. It seems Anette's voice is being over-worked, and she's suffering for it. I think it's time NW chills out on the touring for a bit. It's not like people are going to forget about them if they stop touring for 5 minutes to give their singer a break.

I haven't seen NW live in about a year and a half. I figure, I've seen them tour for DPP twice, Anette is pleasant, I can wait until the next album is released and they tour for that. I'm glad I haven't been seeing them any more. It seems Anette's voice is being over-worked, and she's suffering for it. I think it's time NW chills out on the touring for a bit. It's not like people are going to forget about them if they stop touring for 5 minutes to give their singer a break.

I agree with you that it's time for them to stop touring a bit. In fact, I could even use a permanent break from Anette. :lol:

I got to see Nightwish twice for DPP, which was fine enough with me. No doubt, I would have gone to see them a third time because of Volbeat if it wasn't the same night as Paganfest.

Was thinking the same thing last time I saw them. Fun show, but they all are show definite signs of wear and tear, especially Anette. Time for a break guys.