No more growling

Do you think Opeth should stop using death growls?

• Yes, definitely

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • No, definitely not

Votes: 192 91.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 12 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Slaydon

Jul 28, 2008
right outside Oslo, Norway
Who's for it? I think Opeth should stop doing the death growl. Whats the point? They have developed to that extent that growling is nothing more but a slice of nostalgia from the old days now.

So...HERE'S ANOTHER POLL!:heh::lol:

even though im a big fan of opeth instrumentals and clean singing i really cant say they should stop. for one im a rather small minority judging from previous discussions, but also because they like doing it, and mikes always said hes put out music that he enjoys rather than trying to please his fans

in the same way, mikes clean vocals have been a part of opeth for a long time and i guess you could say its been developed, why not give that up instead?

just a matter of preference, although i happen to dislike the growling

the better question would have been which growl style do you prefer better: the old orchid/morningrise/mayh era or the new deep death growl.

I for one like the old way Mike did it. more emotion seeping out of that..

Who in the world would want them to stop? The Lotus Eater's growls were amazingly done. Same on Derect Herds.

I do like the growls on BP and GR best tho because they are abundant and rythmic. Also, on the song BP, he does dual growls (two seperate growls recorded but put on top of each other) and it makes a real evil effect. The same thing at the end of Wreath.

I think Mike's ona the best growler's out there, besides Mikael Stanne of Dark Tranquillity. Watershed just wasn't much of a growl album because most of the songs took on a more soft form. Plenty of parts still proved Mike's as evil sounding as ever though. (I'm so glad bands like Opeth and Dark Tranquillity don't get soft with age, I mean has anyone heard DT lately? They're character album sounded more evil and heavy than anything they've put out in they're whole career - they're my all-time favorite band btw, is why i talk about them so much.)

NO. I like the alternation between clean and growled vocals. Now if they started doing all death growled vocals I'd be pissed.

Opeth has - unfortunately - been moving towards clean vocals as Mikael's developed them quite considerably. Often is forgotten that since Blackwater Park the same's been with growling as well.

I never really listened to bands with death growls before getting into Opeth. That's why it took me so long to listen to their other stuff after hearing Damnation (Just my own self professed musical ignorance coming out. I loved Damnation and thought that if their other stuff were as good, I would buy it all sight unseen, since Damnation was such a great album. But I just couldn't understand how a band with "Cookie monster vocals" could possibly be taken seriously).

Now, however, I've come to really appreciate Mike's death growls, especially on the older stuff. It's a part of their overall sound and they use it very effectively, especially when they use the brutality of the growls to contrast the beauty of the softer parts. It's a part of what makes Opeth...Opeth.

Personally, I would hate to see the growls go. Yes, Watershed contains less growls then the older stuff. But I think it's just a case of using them when they best fit the songs. I would also hate to hear an album filled with nothing BUT growls. It's that use of contrasts that gives the band such a unique sound. Like Per once said, the sign of a good musician is that he not only knows what to play, but he knows what NOT to play.

Maybe the songs on the next album will be more conducive to using more growls (Although seeing the overall course of Mike's writing since Blackwater Park makes me doubt that, as he has been leaning towards clean vox more and more). And I would like to see more of that contrast between heavy and light. Too many growls and it becomes overkill...repetitive and boring. But too many clean vocals and it loses that special and unique sound that is all theirs. Yes, I still love Damnation and the songs and arrangements on that album can easily be placed up against the songs of any other band today. But, when compared to the contrasts found on the other albums...I'm kind of glad that Mike said Damnation would be a "one time thing."

It's all about finding balance and contrast. That's what makes Opeth so special. The growls make the soft parts sound that much more beautiful and the clean singing makes the heavy parts that much more brutal and intense.

Just my $0.02.

Curse at me all you want. I dared to post this, YES I DARED! So go home and listen to that horrible death growl crap all day and all night long if you want, I have my own preferences!

The music has gone up shit's creek thanks to idiots like you.

Usually I'm not one to respond to stupid shit like this, but this is absolutley preposterous. You've got to be fucking kidding me. I hope this is some kind of joke or something, but the join date leads me to believe this is serious.

This is not the worst thread in the history, but I think some people fail to understand that Opeth simply wouldn't be Opeth without the musical extremes.