No more growling

Do you think Opeth should stop using death growls?

• Yes, definitely

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • No, definitely not

Votes: 192 91.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 12 5.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think Opeth should stop doing the death growl. Whats the point? They have developed to that extent that growling is nothing more but a slice of nostalgia from the old days now.

That is SO FUCKING GAY. Seriously, who the fuck are you to think that growling is dead and a thing of the past and "nothing more but a slice of nostalgia from the old days" ? A FUCKING RETARD, APPARENTLY. If you can't tell by listening to the music, Mike has stated before in interviews that Opeth is about dynamics...very melodic clean parts and very brutal, evil dark parts. Think for a second of how much limiting himself to clean vocals would take away from this goal.

If you want clean vocals, go listen to Damnation. Or Ammorphis, or something.

How about he sings the way the music makes him feel and fits best with the music and atmosphere that it conjures... as always? Yeah, that is probably the case! Whoo!

It'll probably be a mellower sound as someone else said, the (death) metal inspirations are pretty few and far between now, and Mike isn't a teenager anymore, and wants to explore other musical paths than he did in his early 20's I guess!

But then again having Fredrick and Axe in the band is a healthy dose of heavy if there ever was one, so even if the whole metal scene is very uninspiring for Mike nowadays perhaps the new band mates themselves will provide some interesting inspiration?

Well, say what you want but you failed to get the absolute majority. That proves there are Opeth fans out there who appreciate them for their true qualities and not just the kick they get out of death growls! Here's to us!:kickass: :headbang:

Not sure if you are one, there, chief...:zombie:

I personally much prefer the clean vocals. Mikael has a beautiful singing voice and a lot of artistic craft in his clean vocals, which I find to be more effective than the growls since the growls do not stand out to me as much. Also, I like the melodic/harmonic aspects of music in general, and these do not come through in the growls (though growls can be very nice rhythmically or when the atmosphere calls for it). I wouldnt want them to get rid of growls entirely, but I do prefer an emphasis on clean vocals.

Well I think the votes have proved more than enough that you sir, are a fucking idiot.

Growling is a great technique and it sounds great.

I think they should just ditch vocals altogether,
and become an instrumental band

who's with me?

:Smokin:

I think they should just ditch vocals altogether,
and become an instrumental band

who's with me?

:Smokin:

I'm a big fan instrumental music like (most of) Indukti, Russian Circles, Pelican, etc. but no, sorry. Opeth wouldn't really be Opeth with out vocals. Still, I would LOVE to hear a few full, complex instrumental songs on their future albums. Normal their instrumental songs are much shorter than their full songs and are much less complex. They're normally just transitions like For Absent Friends, Patterns in the Ivy, Requiem, etc. Tons of bands I listen to have done "real" songs that just happen to be without vocals: Tool with Triad and Merkaba, Porcupine Tree with Wedding Nails, Isis with Altered Course (though their music is like 75% vocal free anyway), etc.

Is anyone else with me???

Jake

chasepw133 im with you, i love their instrumental tracks. it kinda feels like the vocals get in the way of the music imo

Wow, does this thread ever suck.

It reminds me of another thread I saw a while back on a prog site. It was obviously a bunch of people who got into Opeth through Porcupine Tree and they were having this big circlejerk about the death growls were silly, or juvenile, or whatever other pretentious nonsense they could come up with.

I told them for people who claimed to be so intelligent and outside-the-box with their musical tastes they were pretty close-minded. I pointed out that King Crimson was using fuzz boxes and detuned guitars in their stuff and people back then probably dissed them for it.

The cutting edge is not for everybody. That's why it's called "extreme" metal. Eventually the masses will "get it" and every band from here to Timbuktu will be all over MTV ruining the style. It's started already.

Yeah, that too. I mean what's the point? They've progressed so far towards classic rock n' roll glory that the whole technical drummer thing is kind of just old nostalgia now.