no sm57+mesa tones...stop limiting yourselves

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
ok, it seems like pretty much everyone on the forum is aiming for the same guitartones, is using the same mic/cab combinations, etc....

I wanna dedicate this thread to "non sm57 tones".
don't get me wrong, I'm LOVING the sm57 as well as the mesa cab, but that doesn't mean there aren't other good mics etc out there.....

so let's use this thread to post some non-57 clips...post your clips and tell us something about the chain.

this one is emg81-od820-5150III through Bogner Übercab, an m160 in front of the v30 and an at250DE in front of the t75, blended to taste.

emg81-od820-krankenstein+-1960AV-m160

emg81-od820-JMP2203-1960AV-m160
(I'm really digging this marshall clip)

emg81-od820-JVM410-Ubercab's v30 mic'd with AT250DE
(yes, this amp is noisy as balls)

emg81-MT2(metal zone)-Rectifier-Ubercab's t75 mic'd with sm7
(now THIS is different ;) but IMO the t75 is one of the best speakers for brutal death metal...although this was the first time I used this combination, it will not be the last time!..I'm definitely digging this sound )

od820-recto-uberkab-sm7 on the t75, pr30 on the v30, equal volumes

od820-6505-1960DM-m201

od820-earforce-ubercab-sm7 on t75, m160 on v30 (equal volumes)

post yours!

I CAN ONLY ENCOURAGE YOU TO EXPERIMENT FOR YOURSELVES!
you'll learn a lot, you'll be forced to leave your comfort zone, change your overused settings and experiment with mic positions...don't expect to throw a mic in front of the cab where you'd put an sm57 and use the same settings...you'll have to tweak the amp, experiment with placement etc, but I guarantee you, you'll learn a lot and be rewarded...
I myself am going to try more different stuff on future productions

I approve of this thread. Collaborative research always gets results.

Sadly, nothing to contribute... yet ;)

EDIT: Lasse, the JMP track sounds wicked; definitely think it suits the music the best out of the three you've posted.

do_want.jpg

The JMP is cool as well but a tad too squishy/spongy for my taste.

By the way Lasse, any chance you'd share a playback stem plus the DI's of that clip or a small portion of it?

I'd love to run it through my cabs/mics.

I'm not saying "don't use sm57", I'm just saying you might learn something if you try getting good tones with another mic..I know I did learn a lot.

I'm gonna upload the backing and DI later

Really liking the übercab and the krank clips!
JMP and Metalzone clips are nice too, but I dont like the JVM Clip...

slightly offtopic, but about the JVM:
I recently played one in a shop both through a Mesa OS and a Marshall 1960..Clean sounded nice, crunch was awesome, but for overdrive (both red and orange modes) there always was some annoying high mids in there...
is that something you can get rid of with tweaking? I didnt notice it on "Chaos Legions", but I also hear it on Olas JVM clip on YT

OT:
I'm going to do some 6505+, marshall 1936 and MD421 clips within the next 2 weeks, then I'll have something to post...right now it would just be peavey, randall 4x12 and a 57...which I guess wouldnt be far enough away ;)

man really diggin the tones your getting with the M160 Lasse! haha been G.A.S. ing for a ribbon mic recently.

here's a band I recorded like a month ago. I was testing out the HEIL Pr-30 .......... guitar chain is .
Schecter w/ SD blackouts> evh 5150III>mesa standard recto> HEIL PR-30>Great River me1 nv>distressor
I'm really liking the pr30 these days.

anyone got any clips of heavy tones with a cascade fathead? been thinking about picking one up to stop me from buying a royer lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Love that 5150 III clip lasse! But yeah at the moment we actually are tracking a band and have a 5150II through a 1960b cab with a i5 and 421 on it :) sound's fucking juicy

YES. fucking always have loved t75's man.... my fave clip out of all of these is the mt2 > recto > t75> sm7 clip!

i want an m160 ASAP. it seems like the perfect fucking gtr cab mic