Non-Metal Artists Most Influential on the Development of Metal

Jul 21, 2003
Visit site
Richard Wagner- Much of the iconography and ideology of metal was initially popularized through the Ring Cycle. His reinvention of music as performance art was also crucial, and tends to be overlooked.

King Crimson- Fripp's early experiments in texture, tone and structure presaged what was to come in metal, keyed a move (of which metal was a part) away from blues mannerisms and blues compositional techniques.

The Doors- The first band to delve deeply into the darker side of consciouness (though often pulling back in fear at the edge of the abyss), and also, along with King Crimson, among the first to explore narrative and thematic structures rather purely cyclic riff centered contructs. "The End" is still heavier in the only real sense than 95% of metal songs.

I would add Igor Stravinsky to that list. And Pink Floyd.

I commend PE for mentioning The Doors. They are quite overlooked in the department of delving into the darker topics. Also noted are the numerous forays into instrumental and structural innovation and experimentation, and the progressive element(narrative style).

stravinsky is at the top of my list. my favorite composer. id also put wagner and mahler in there as well. but pretty much anything from the romantic era on has influenced metal
~gR~

i have a hardtime seeing gregorian chants as an influence to metal. though they do make a nice intro.

ive never really liked gregorian chants, they all sound the same and are very strict on structure. thats not somthing i can really associate to metal since there is alot of experimentation. though i will say that with some styles, people start thinking that the music should only be one way, and that is very indicitive of gregorian chants.

but bach is a good one. especially later bach as he got more intense and away from the pansy baroque crap. that was the point where music really got more in depth and in a sense, more emotional. and that would definatly parallel metal. but in my opinion the real intense expression didnt really happen untill late classical as the transition to the romantic era occured. while bach had his moments, and definatly started the trend, it wasnt cemented till later.

just my humble opinion hehehehe. i like this thread
~gR~

Paganini-pretty much the first shredder..his stuff is still insane by today's standards.

Many blues artists(too many to list)-Iommi and many others were influenced by American blues players. In some cases, it's a nameless 78 that has a tune or two on it..and they have no idea who played the song.

genocide roach said:
i have a hardtime seeing gregorian chants as an influence to metal. though they do make a nice intro.

ive never really liked gregorian chants, they all sound the same and are very strict on structure. thats not somthing i can really associate to metal since there is alot of experimentation. though i will say that with some styles, people start thinking that the music should only be one way, and that is very indicitive of gregorian chants.
I should have clarified. I'm not so sure if the Gregorian Chants themselves influenced many modern metal artists, but the Gregorian Monks kept music and poetry (which is what music really is) alive during the dark ages. Maybe the harmonies have influenced some bands, but the monks biggest contribution to music was keeping the flame of creativity and expression lit for almost 1000 years. It's sort of ironic that the Catholic Church was a vessel for creativity and expression.

Well, I don't know how many metal bands they've influenced, but they're certainly off in their own experimental dimension, they are. Good group.