Norther Find New Vocalists ;|

Well, I don't think they sound the same. Just listen to these. Three finnish melodic death metal bands and I think that their vocals sound very different.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUUo9crSdf8&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're concerned about ripping off, Alexi ripped off Chuck Schuldiner.

Anyway, I'm familiar with these bands, and I have to say, the vocals are the same.

this vocalist is trying to rip off Alexi

I liked Petri's voice better.

Hello? And what is Petri?

Not trying to rip-off Alexi? Well, maybe not "rip-off" but has probably too much Alexi influence. Just check his old Imperanon profile

http://koti.mbnet.fi/jiffy/imp/alexi.htm

Who says he likes Alexi? :lol::lol:

Anyway, I'm familiar with these bands, and I have to say, the vocals are the same.

I wouldn't say that, Chuck was a pretty good vocalist, whereas Alexi is just an ok vocalist, or at least he does an ok job, not more. Tbh I don't see Alexi covering Painkiller as Chuck did, I don't think he'd be able. But yeah, he did draw quite a lot of inspiration from Chuck and Phil Anselmo.

Who says he likes Alexi? :lol::lol:

I'm not really sure if that was sarcasm, but...

(Taken from his profile)

In that time I also started to listen to Children Of Bodom and found something new. Alexi Laiho gave me new influences, so I had to train his and Janne´s solos, with piano and guitar. Nowadays I´m mainly inspired by CoB, Nightwish, Sinergy and some film-music.

Which musicians do you respect?
:: For example: Alexi Laiho, Marzi Nyman, Vesa Watanen, Janne Wirman, Tommi Markkanen, Jori Tikkala, Harri Kentala, Heikki Pöyhiä

Which are your favourite bands?
:: Children of Bodom, Warmen, Sinergy, Nightwish.

Best Gig Ever Seen?
:: Children Of Bodom/Finntroll TUSKA 2000

What would be the "dream-team" band for you?
:: Ammm... I guess I would be the vocalist and guitarist. In bass would be Valtteri Myllymaa. The other guitarist would be Alexi Laiho. And third guitarist Mikko Kaija. In drums would be Aarne Riikonen or Mr. Laitinen and in keyboards Vesa Watanen eller Jens Johansson. But our band is like a dream-team to me, because I can work with great musicians and good friends.

So I think that he is more or less influenced by Alexi. (And he even spells his name like Alexi)

And I don't really care about someone ripping off someone. Someone just said that he's not copying Alexi, and I just said that I think he does a bit. But it's not a big deal, I think that he is quite good replacement for Petri.

I wouldn't say that, Chuck was a pretty good vocalist, whereas Alexi is just an ok vocalist, or at least he does an ok job, not more. Tbh I don't see Alexi covering Painkiller as Chuck did, I don't think he'd be able. But yeah, he did draw quite a lot of inspiration from Chuck and Phil Anselmo.

YET, he did rip him off. QED.

img4598.png

Did you say field perturbation theory?

I'm not really sure if that was sarcasm, but...

(Taken from his profile)

In that time I also started to listen to Children Of Bodom and found something new. Alexi Laiho gave me new influences, so I had to train his and Janne´s solos, with piano and guitar. Nowadays I´m mainly inspired by CoB, Nightwish, Sinergy and some film-music.

Which musicians do you respect?
:: For example: Alexi Laiho, Marzi Nyman, Vesa Watanen, Janne Wirman, Tommi Markkanen, Jori Tikkala, Harri Kentala, Heikki Pöyhiä

Which are your favourite bands?
:: Children of Bodom, Warmen, Sinergy, Nightwish.

Best Gig Ever Seen?
:: Children Of Bodom/Finntroll TUSKA 2000

What would be the "dream-team" band for you?
:: Ammm... I guess I would be the vocalist and guitarist. In bass would be Valtteri Myllymaa. The other guitarist would be Alexi Laiho. And third guitarist Mikko Kaija. In drums would be Aarne Riikonen or Mr. Laitinen and in keyboards Vesa Watanen eller Jens Johansson. But our band is like a dream-team to me, because I can work with great musicians and good friends.

So I think that he is more or less influenced by Alexi. (And he even spells his name like Alexi)

Hmm, that was in 2003/4... if you look at his new profile, it reads quite differently. http://www.norther.net/members.php?member=aleksi

img4598.png

Did you say field perturbation theory?

The lagrangean for quantum electrodynamics, nice :p

Yet it's interesting that the abbreviation for quantum field theory would be "QFT".

^Well, whatever.

There are two subtle points that I've failed to take across:
1) A ripoff need not be as good as the original. It is, in fact, often much worse.
2) Chuck was the first to introduce that vocal style. Thus, every single singer after him can be considered a ripoff, even though in the music business people call it 'influences'.

The lagrangean for quantum electrodynamics, nice :p

Yet it's interesting that the abbreviation for quantum field theory would be "QFT".

There are two subtle points that I've failed to take across:
1) A ripoff need not be as good as the original. It is, in fact, often much worse.
2) Chuck was the first to introduce that vocal style. Thus, every single singer after him can be considered a ripoff, even though in the music business people call it 'influences'.

Well, to me a rip off is an excat copy or the atempt of doing it, not using a similar style of vocals. or the word influence would then have no meaning. if a similar style is automatically rip off, then what's being influentied by someone?