Not for the fanboys...

underullospell said:
me? just want to hear Lepond better..

besides that.. they Are close enough to perfect for me..

wait a min.. isn't that a song..? haahaa

Country-rock band Alabama has a song called "She's close enough to perfect for me." It's quite good.

Kate Bush Rules! said:
Russell Allen has never growled. If you want first-class growling I suggest you check out Opeth.

For those of us who don't really care for the traditional death metal style vocals, Allen's referred to vocals are growling.

And yes, Silent, more growling from Sir Russell would be nice!

ProgMetalFan said:
Industrial sounds... good idea Grom...

also... i'd like to hear Symphony X use samples
Yes, and I would like to hear Russell doing some rapping. :p

I think that electronica needs to be incorporated into power metal. Symphony X are the tr00 pr0gr3ss1v3 band to do it.

"I l0v t0 t0lk lik fis"
I actually have to go the over way than Polydius, i actually would like LESS neo-classical influences in SYx. More Prog and "Metal" would be my preference.

I'd really like to hear LePond better in the mix as well as live.........I think that Romeo's tone on "v" was kinda off, and he wasn't loud enough for the most part (a lot of the solos are kinda inaudible) I liked how the guitars were louder in the Oddysey, but the bass needs to be upped. I don't think there is much else to say....besides keep doin what they're doin!

Cheers :)

I suppose my biggest problem would be that the band is in danger of becoming very predictable. The guys are doing a great job so far, but i'm hoping that for the next album they throw in a few different elements (jazzy passages, harder/metal influences, etc).

As far as playing/production, i also agree that we should be able to actually hear Lepond on the next album...it's disappointing that they haven't figured it out yet. Also, Pinnella seems to use the same sound for every keyboard solo...switching the patches up a bit would help (ex: Ayreon, Erik Norlander, Derek Sherinian).

Hwangman said:
I suppose my biggest problem would be that the band is in danger of becoming very predictable. The guys are doing a great job so far, but i'm hoping that for the next album they throw in a few different elements (jazzy passages, harder/metal influences, etc).

Amen to that. A little versatility is in order..:D

Defiantly more keyboards and better drum production, being the progressive band they are I would like to see less linear guitar driven songs and more proggy, keyboard orchestration type songs like on V thus creating the divine balance of heaviness and melody that is Symphony X.

I really don't think they have found there perfect style yet but I think when it does finally come it will be magic, the best is certainly yet to come.

Alexander TG said:
...being the progressive band they are I would like to see less linear guitar driven songs and more proggy, keyboard orchestration type songs like on V thus creating the divine balance of heaviness and melody that is Symphony X.

:lol: I like your term.."the divine balance of heaviness and melody".

So far, I'll give SyX props for standing out in giving a balance between weight/density and melody. They just have to notice that a little more orchestration won't hurt..as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with Hwangman and Alexander TG... I really never liked the "sound" of Pinella's solos. That patch is just rancid. Also... I'd like to hear keyboard solos that don't sound like guitar solos played on the keyboard. I would like to hear a thicker and more upfront bass sound.

I agree with Alexander that Symphony X should pursue the V style more... it doesn't have to sound like V... but create more complex and sophisticated compositions that are more than just some riff and a hooky chorus.

That said... I love The Odyssey.

I think the Odyssey did give the band some new wrinkles... but I do think much of it was predictable (that's not really a bad thing).

Some of their stuff is blatantly repetitive. Communion and the Oracle literally has parts lifted from The Edge of Forever. The Odyssey(the song) has parts taken from Premonition. King of Terrors uses a run from Sea of Lies.

Mike's tone was the best on DWOT. I miss it.

They should fire Russell, he sucks. :Spin: