Notable Releases to Come 2009 Edition

ehn... it is good, I will say that much at least. I heard a few of the new songs live recently and wasn't to impressed unfortunately. Then again, some people I know have said they love the new material- so to each his own I suppose.

The final track... it starts off fine (soft sorta intro), then it kinda goes into a standard graveland affair... then there's this stop, a chorus sounds and this stupid sound of growling wolves (probably a pissed off poodle :lol:) comes on, then the track starts up again, about 30 seconds into that the "wolf" starts doing the vocals! Really fucking stupid final track.

Return to the Northern Carpathian

The wolf/poodle/girls getting too close to the water jets sample is really bad. :err:

Has anyone heard this yet?

cover_582451652009.jpg

Has anyone heard this yet?

cover_582451652009.jpg

Linking the myspace track very much (Three Moons not Means to an end)

I haven't listened to a single album from 2009, maybe a few but I feel like there will be a moment this year when I'll need to get back on track and browse through this thread again.

Absolute must-hears of 2009 (A more serious take, unlike my selective, silly recent recommendations). Expect unique and refreshing experiences below.

AltarOfPlagues.jpg

Fans of Wolves in the Throne Room, Nachmystium, Mogwai, and old Isis take note. This has absolutely crushed everything in 2009 for me so far, which is impressive considering how much has come out so far, and what is yet to come. This has easily been one of the best years in metal for awhile, and those taking a step back from Metal may want to return at some point this year. Anyways...

Take Wolves in the Throne Room and add Irish blood... remove some of the hypnotic element prevalent in the music, and replace said element with the melancholy of shoegaze as well as the haunting, crushing atmosphere of doom, and what you have the brilliance that is Altar of Plagues.

White Tomb - Full Length download
http://www.myspace.com/altarofplagues (Only samples of full songs, I urge downloading the full-length above)

Cobalt.jpg

Dubbed the "War Metal" genre under it's father's banner, Black Metal, the debut by the band Cobalt was aptly named. In 2007 they released another album, Eater of Birds, which has received incredibly high praise, and they aimed (and succeeeded) in carrying this reputation into 2009 with Gin.

Gin - Full Length download
http://www.myspace.com/stinktown666

Going to copy/paste the above into it's own thread so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle here, it's certainly deserving.

dmp0049-103_1.jpg
dmp0049-103_2.jpg

ARCKANUM - ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ

Out now.

Shirts/Hoodies/Longsleeves as well. Here's the longsleeve:

DMPLS006_small.jpg