Now Playing Thread

TheUnforgiven said:
why does AATG suck so much ass?

you're nuts. don's best guitar work to date and the songwriting is a lot stronger. the vocals are also tremendously improved, both clean and frog whisper.

saut said:
you're nuts. don's best guitar work to date and the songwriting is a lot stronger. the vocals are also tremendously improved, both clean and frog whisper.

maybe so.they do sound much more refined.but to me they somehow lost that Agalloch magic.maybe I need to give it a couple more listens:erk: , I fell in love with The Mantle on first listen

TheUnforgiven said:
maybe so.they do sound much more refined.but to me they somehow lost that Agalloch magic.maybe I need to give it a couple more listens:erk: , I fell in love with The Mantle on first listen

well a lot of the folky stuff is missing, which i didnt like at first, so i can see your arguement for the "loss of magic." i think it's just nice to see them taking a step in a slightly different direction, rather than making the mantle over and over again.

524648.jpg

NineFeetUnderground said:
LOL @ agalloch and magic being used in the same sentence.

i know you liked aatg. even if agalloch isn't "magical" in and of themselves, i can see how someone could get attached to agalloch and invent that magic. in any case, agalloch is doing a decent job at filling that folk-metal niche that hasn't been filled by a quality band (afaik) since ulver released bergtatt, altho ashes has definitly moved away from a lot of the folk tendencies. i think that's why a lot of people who fell in love with the mantle are having harsh reactions to ashes, which is really a much more focused and less cliched album. they miss that "magical" folky atmosphere that was such a big part of the mantle's success.

eh i guess i kinda got away from my point.. i dont think calling any of agalloch's albums magical is completely unjustified, as you make it out to be. while agalloch might just be a reflection of ulver, empyrium, and misc post rock, they're doing a better job of it than any other band today (can't think of any that are so heavily influenced by all of those).

that's kind of a long, rambling response to a typical off-the-cuff nfu remark, but i wanted to stick up for a decent band that doesn't not deserve to be someone's favorite.