Now Playing Thread

Meshuggah - Combustion

OMG i am glad I checked on this thread and found out this leaked, I'm just starting it. This song is friggin insane, it does sound vaguely like tool in some regards, the riffing is absolutely nothing like they've ever played before, it's much 'noodlier,' but it's completely awesome. 5/5. Great start, this is the most intense thing they've ever done unless you count "War."

Meshuggah - Combustion

OMG i am glad I checked on this thread and found out this leaked, I'm just starting it. This song is friggin insane, it does sound vaguely like tool in some regards, the riffing is absolutely nothing like they've ever played before, it's much 'noodlier,' but it's completely awesome. 5/5. Great start, this is the most intense thing they've ever done unless you count "War."

yup, it does sound like Tool in some parts, but the more Meshuggah parts more than redeem this song. 5/5 for sure. if only the rest of the album was like this...

yup, it does sound like Tool in some parts, but the more Meshuggah parts more than redeem this song. 5/5 for sure. if only the rest of the album was like this...

"Pravus" or w/e also totally rules and is along similar lines to the first one. I didn't really pay close enough attention to the rest to give it a fair evaluation but it seemed great.

Wait.. I thought the first song off ObZen was the worst! I thought the rest was not that much different to what has gone before.. Some faster (as wankerness said, noodlier) riffing and so on.. But it still was far better than Combustion.. That track is out of place and pretty weak in my view.. Nevermind.

ObZen's riff is fucking crushing!

Wait.. I thought the first song off ObZen was the worst! I thought the rest was not that much different to what has gone before.. Some faster (as wankerness said, noodlier) riffing and so on.. But it still was far better than Combustion.. That track is out of place and pretty weak in my view.. Nevermind.

ObZen's riff is fucking crushing!

The 1st song sounds like a Meshuggah cover band thrashing away, a bit generic for Meshuggah's standards but it still is an awesome opener imo. I'm really enjoying the whole album so far, seems like a combination of all previous 'shuggah styles with an extra spice thrown in. ObZen might be my favourite track, Thordendal is exploring some new effects and actually improving his typical siren-like lead guitar style, as for the rythm guitar, it is mindblowing as always...i will admit that some riffs sound a little recycled but most of them just blast in all directions and there is enough variation to keep me satisfied. I particularly love that Larks' era King Crimson-ish part in the beggining of ''Dancers'', it adds a lot to the song. Also, some people are complaining about the little Tool influence and the tremolo-pickin parts, but i don't have a problem with it, because Marten and Thordendal don't make Meshuggah sound like a Tool clone, or like crappy Death Metal.

I'd say that Combustion, Bleed, ObZen, Pravus and Dancers to a Discordant System are the best tracks, but the rest is quality too. This album is an owner, but it's one of Meshuggah's worst, Catch 33 is better on most levels and formed a really coherent whole, it had those drone-y, calm ambient parts and tense riffing that are truly unforgettable.

I will rate this below DEI, Chaosphere, and Catch 33, but it's definitely as good or better than Nothing or CC.

Deserves a solid 8,5/10 imo.

After the first listen I probably have the same favourite tracks as i aint play this. Too bad so much of the album is just repeating the already-heard Meshuggah style. The new twists sound really good, I hoped (after hearing Bleed) that they would have followed that path further. But on the other hand, some of the tracks are among the best from them I've heard.

np. Meshuggah - Combustion

edit: Don't get me wrong here, I do think this album kicks ass. I probably came across a bit too negative there. And I believe my opinion on the album is going to change upon further listens, so all this is actually just useless bullshit... Well, sometimes it's actually interesting to read people's first impressions on albums.

PS. Dancers is amazing!

Hawkwind - Greenback Massacre

And yeah, Combustion is really not that good.. And i feel it is rather out of place to the rest of the album. ObZen is probably the most memorable song, i remember Bleed very well, but that's probably due to it being the first song i heard off the album.
I'd say ObZen is probably one of my least favourite of theirs from the listens i've given it so far, but as i'm sure most people would agree.. Doesn't mean i dislike it.. And doesn't mean that on further listens this won't change.

It's clearly come to a point for Meshuggah where there's not that much they can do with the style without sounding like an entirely different band. I think it'd be good for them to further explore some of the stuff they did on the 'True Human Design' EP.