Now Playing

please support Secret sphere's last "Portrait of a dying heart" with Michele Luppi
as new frontman.They're italian.

Geez, I remember getting their album "Scent of Human Desire" way back when it came out..

I remember getting the next album and not caring for it too much as I was getting into a lot of other styles of metal at the time. Then they just kind of fell off my radar after that.

Anyway, back on topic. I just discovered this masterpiece recently and feel bad for not knowing about it way back when it was first released.

Last edited by a moderator:
The closest band to Symphony X I've found:

[Insert Sanctus Ignis Artwork here]

Adagio is fucking badass. Stephan Forte is one of my top 10 favorite guitarists ever. Though they only really sound like SX for the first two albums, after which they started going for somewhat of a more straight-up metal sound with a bit of death-metal influence.

Fortunately though, the next album (which has been in the works for a while, should be out next year) is supposedly going to be a return to their more progressive/orchestral roots but with a darker ambiance. Not to mention now they've got Kelly Sundown Carpenter on vocals, and he's like Jesus.

Adagio is fucking badass. Stephan Forte is one of my top 10 favorite guitarists ever. Though they only really sound like SX for the first two albums, after which they started going for somewhat of a more straight-up metal sound with a bit of death-metal influence.

Fortunately though, the next album (which has been in the works for a while, should be out next year) is supposedly going to be a return to their more progressive/orchestral roots but with a darker ambiance. Not to mention now they've got Kelly Sundown Carpenter on vocals, and he's like Jesus.

I actually like their Archangels in Black album (with the death metal growls) the best. I hope they keep some of that, it sets them apart from just being a clone of SX. Though the other albums are cool too.

I dunno why it's impossible to find their CDs anywhere in the US, not even on itunes. Pretty much have to order them from Europe.

It's funny the difference between this forum and the General Metal Discussion forum. I posted Adagio - Twilight at Dawn over there and someone called it boring. Boring! Adagio is anything but. I love em. Maybe they didn't really listen to it, or don't have any classical music training.

Do you know any other bands along these lines?

Underworld is my personal fav (I just love the Orchestral arrangements and think most of the songs are just so well written; it reminds me a little of V actually) but Archangels in Black is my second favorite (Codex Oscura is just amazing).

I'm pretty sure not being able to buy their CD's over here is just because they're pretty underground and not recognized world-wide. I'd love for them to tour the US eventually though (hell, my dream show would be them supporting Symphony X). And you can buy most of their stuff on Itunes (every release they have except Archangels) but for some reason Dominate and the Live album are separated from their first two albums under a different artist known as Adagio. Weird.

As for similar bands, they're the closest to SX I can think of. Not entirely sure what to suggest.

I sampled Underworld a bit and it seemed cool. Might have to look deeper into this one. Also,

a return to their more progressive/orchestral roots but with a darker ambiance. Not to mention now they've got Kelly Sundown Carpenter

this sounds pretty damn badass.

I sampled Underworld a bit and it seemed cool. Might have to look deeper into this one.

I'd definitely recommend them if you like SX. Underworld is a great album, though certainly not to everyone's tastes. If you want a little more heaviness and grit, I'd suggest you also check out Archangels in Black, or if you're looking for more of a Neoclassical approach ala Malmsteen, try Sanctus Ignis.

Baroque said:
I actually like their Archangels in Black album (with the death metal growls) the best. I hope they keep some of that, it sets them apart from just being a clone of SX.

I forgot to mention on this note, Stephan actually said in a recent interview (about one month ago) that from now on he plans moreso on keeping Adagio for the symphonic, progressive stuff and is currently putting together another band that will focus more on that aggressive direction most prominent on the last 2 albums.

Here's the interview (it's in French, but there are subtitles, skip to 5:06 for the interesting stuff)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0HoIHVMrXSs#t=306s

Also, I've got a pretty good idea as to who this enigmatic second guitarist may be! :D

I'd definitely recommend them if you like SX. Underworld is a great album, though certainly not to everyone's tastes. If you want a little more heaviness and grit, I'd suggest you also check out Archangels in Black, or if you're looking for more of a Neoclassical approach ala Malmsteen, try Sanctus Ignis.

I forgot to mention on this note, Stephan actually said in a recent interview (about one month ago) that from now on he plans moreso on keeping Adagio for the symphonic, progressive stuff and is currently putting together another band that will focus more on that aggressive direction most prominent on the last 2 albums.

Here's the interview (it's in French, but there are subtitles, skip to 5:06 for the interesting stuff)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0HoIHVMrXSs#t=306s

Also, I've got a pretty good idea as to who this enigmatic second guitarist may be! :D

Awesome, since I do like both styles. More Sanctus Ignis, and More Archangels please. Do you know what the new band will be called so i can be on the lookout for them? Also any hints as to the guitarist :) It couldn't be MJR... could it?