Now this may be a bit too early...

winters epilogue

Senior Lurker
Aug 27, 2004
Massachusetts
jeremytyarks.com
But I think four to five months is a good amount of time to let an album sit in. Obviously the band is going to play touring this record for a long time, and we may not see another Opeth record until 2008 (if they stay together), but I am curious to see where they would go. I think the new addition gives them quite a few more possibilities.

Anyways, the question:
Looking at where the band is now, what would you hope they improve on for the next album? (This was asked I think when the album first came out, but I think now is a bit more of an appropriate time for it). This is not a "Do what they did when Orchid was out!!1!!11" type of deal - this is knowing full well the band's current status with the music they are playing.

Personally, I would really like to see some more bass. I love the guitar work, I always have, but the only thing that has been missing (since Morningrise) is the bass. Part of it is mixing, I think Mendez has been pretty shafted when it comes to how well his bass is in the mix. But, I would also like to see...well...possibly a bass solo? Something just to give a bit more, because let me tell you...bass is quite underrated, and I think it could add a lot to the band's newer sound.

I would also like to see a few more instrumentals (not to downplay Mike's voice, because it is one of the best around), to see what how Per could get into it.

Aside from those two things, I am very happy with Opeth's direction. The prog elements are fantastic (a few more would not bother me), the death metal elements are still there (once again, a few more would not bother me), Mike's clean voice is at its best right now, his death vocals are still very brutal, Lopez's drums blow me away every time, and the guitar work is, of course, damn awesome.

So uh, anyone? Anyone?

Hmmm intresting thread.

Some more instrumentals would be nice (or long instrumental breaks such as in Hours of Wealth) umm... basically the thing I miss is the more melodic style in their death metal. The riffs are unmistakable, they hold atmospheric vibe and are just as enchanting as the clean stuff. You know the Pre-BWP type electric work. Not that I'm dissatisfied with their current approach it'd just be nicer to see a balance.

Clearly though bands change and I'm intrested in seeing what they're going to put out next, regardless of what I want.

I think the individual parts need a bit more spicing up. Listening to Ghost Reveries, keeping the songs as a whole in mind is fantastic. But when you're waiting for some memorable riffs, you're left quite disappointed. I'd love to see some intricate riffing as that on Still Life and My Arms Your Hearse.

I'd like to hear the keyboard driving the music with more than just chords. Melody interplay with the guitars, more layers of backing synth. I would just like to hear the keys doing more than they are now.

Drumming is fantastic. I really can't see what I'd like to see improve on it. Lopez is fantastic at finding beats that match whatever part he's playing under.

Would be nice to hear the bass guitar break out more often and jump into its own melody runs. I think it's really nice when the bass is used in a melodic sense as much as it is in a rhythmic one.

Less 'chug-chug-chugchug' parts on the E or D chords or whatever. It sort of gets tiring to hear that kinda thing.

I think the individual parts need a bit more spicing up. Listening to Ghost Reveries, keeping the songs as a whole in mind is fantastic. But when you're waiting for some memorable riffs, you're left quite disappointed. I'd love to see some intricate riffing as that on Still Life and My Arms Your Hearse.
Ah, thanks. You kinda clarified what I was trying to say.

Those days may be over but it'd be nice to see another riff like the opening one in April Ethereal the intro in Moonlapse Vertigo... etc. More electric pieces utalizing both lead and rythem would be nice to see again.

I think the keyboard is a atmosphere instrument, to make too many leads with is just stupid i think. There sure are exeptions, but sure as hell are a lot more examples to what i mean. The lead between atonement and harlequin forest is genious, and there are a couple more cool leads on the album..even a keyboard/guitar solo.

Mmm I'd have to agree the Keyboard works best for Opeth mainly as a backup weapon (sometimes a bit of lead is nice) but keyboards backing really adds to the overall atmosphere (For example Drudkh : D)

winters epilogue said:
Personally, I would really like to see some more bass. I love the guitar work, I always have, but the only thing that has been missing (since Morningrise) is the bass. Part of it is mixing, I think Mendez has been pretty shafted when it comes to how well his bass is in the mix. But, I would also like to see...well...possibly a bass solo? Something just to give a bit more, because let me tell you...bass is quite underrated, and I think it could add a lot to the band's newer sound.

As a bass player I agree somewhat. And there is no denying that DeFarfalla's lead-bass, Burtonesque style was a major part of getting me hooked on Opeth when I first picked up Morningrise 7 years ago.

But in this case it kinda goes back to the old Mendez-DeFarfalla debate that's been done before. First off I think Martin is great. And he's definitely had his moments in the mix:

Godheads lament 4:47
Moonlapse Vertigo 4:55 & 5:04
The end of Bleak
Windowpane
Intro to The Drapery Falls

Those are just some of the ones off the top of my head. However Mendez is a support player and in fits in the music of Opeth in a much different (and fundamental) way than his predecessor. Indeed, this is what Mike was going for when he decided to replace the bass spot (shame on him for not having a dedicated bassist for MAYH though! It suffered for it!).

I think it would be great if he busted out with some solos but I doubt it's going to happen. And Opeth is obviously capable of instrumental bliss, but they aren't a jam band and their music is clearly about the song.

HaloPhenomenon said:
I think the keyboard is a atmosphere instrument, to make too many leads with is just stupid i think. There sure are exeptions, but sure as hell are a lot more examples to what i mean. The lead between atonement and harlequin forest is genious, and there are a couple more cool leads on the album..even a keyboard/guitar solo.

Yeah, I would not want it to become...hmm...how do I say, bigger than it is now? But it could still be more involved without being overbearing. But I think it would be great to have a regular ten minute Opeth song without vocals and have all of the instruments really shine. I mean, not have it be crammed so they have to have a solo or something, but just a piece where all of the members really got to have some fun and play the hell out of the guitar, bass, keyboard, drum set.

more swinging riffs ala The Funeral Portrait and more 70s folkish acoustic work ala the clean twist at the end The Drapery Falls. Other than that just keep the growls...I don't want them to turn into UFO.

I could dig another Damnation all light album, just as long as we got a dark album with it.

New DVD covering the whole disco not just the KOCH/Music For Nations albums...and a better 5.1 mix.

I still want the dvd-a version of Still Life...hopefully they could fix the drop outs on the Moor while they're at it.

it would be cool if they changed everything about their sound...as far as songwriting goes, it would be cool to not even recognize them as opeth....something so fucking different.

I occasionally like chicken!!! Opeth's next album should sound more like Orchid, in my opinion, since the sound hasn't been revisited after Morningrise! It would be nice to just go back for a bit. This next album should include another 20+ minute song so I can send it to the DPRP long songs list too. (and to cherish it as the most pwning song Opeth has ever made)

I would like Opeth to bring in some Sigur Rós elements now that they have a keyboard player. I can only iamgine how good the bass and keyboard would sound with the new sound. Of course keeping the brutality. That'd be great!!! :dopey:

I have noticed in GR that Mike sings alot, yeah he has a great voice and all, but listening to Orchid and Morningrise I seem to appreciate it more when he does sing because it's not as often... so less vocals? Don't flame me!

N.P - Ocean - John Butler Trio

More memorable parts. GR is great, but there are only a few parts I find myself humming/singing along to.

I think there was more bass on GR than previous efforts. That was good, and I think that level is just about right.

Of course everyone wants better riffs, that's what everyone wants on every single metal album that comes out.

Atonement seems to be what a lot of people are looking for; a song with not a lot of vocals, and considerable emphasis on keys.

I say they should do what they will. If I had better ideas, then I would be the one recording albums.

They should try and get a stronger and louder overall mix on the next album -GR is so quiet in my opinion. I think they should try and get Steve Wilson or someone else in (Dan Swano possibly) to give them prods and advice. I'd love Steve Wilson to produce the album because i love his work.

I still want the dvd-a version of Still Life...hopefully they could fix the drop outs on the Moor while they're at it.
..Pardon my ignorance.. but what in fuck is a drop out?