Official Gigantour Announcement/Discussion (updated 7/18)

No-Mercy said:
no see at the place im going to, in Reading, the have seats set up for GA. im front row.

Excellent, front row! There will likely be a barrier and a few feet of space between you and the stage (with security dudes and photograohers), so it's not like you're right up to the stage. You'll be in fine shape.

You see, I'm going to the show at the Jones Beach Theater, and i know for a fact that my seats are almost exactly where i sat for Queensryche/ Judas Priest, on the 17th of June. They're not bad seats, but they could be much better. Anyways, i'm jealous of all of you who got backstage passes, or front row, because seriously! Come on!Front row is almost the greatest possible thing for this festival, let alone back stage. Lucky.
Who else is going to the Jones Beach show? Anyone?

We apologize deeply for any inconvenience this may cause, but we were just informed today by Megadeth's agency of these changes. There will be no second stage at either the San Antonio show, or the newly announced Cincinnati show. So that makes four venues - San Diego, San Antonio, Cincinnati, and Boston - where there will be no second stage, and as such, Symphony X won't be appearing at those shows.

I'm still wondering about the Orlando show. Neither ticketmaster, nor the Hard Rock sites, say anything about the second stage bands. The second stage bands will be at the other two FL gigs, so if they're not at Orlando at least I get to see S:X twice. :)

TheWhisper said:
I'm still wondering about the Orlando show. Neither ticketmaster, nor the Hard Rock sites, say anything about the second stage bands. The second stage bands will be at the other two FL gigs, so if they're not at Orlando at least I get to see S:X twice. :)

Omfg... this better not be true. I can only afford to see them at Orlando!

I'd just like to say that this all seems like an absolute shit job of doing this tour on Dave Mustaine's part and whoever he hired. I'm not going, but I wasn't able to find anything more official than the announcement here about second stages and who was playing when and what not. What a fucking awful job he's done of actually informing people about what's going on. I feel sorry for all the people who bought tickets only to find the "little detail" to Mustaine apparently that the second stage or Symphony X wouldn't be playing where they had bought tickets.

Well, I'm sure plenty of 15 year old kids will take pleasure in telling you how much of an absolute shit job you're doing when you organize a national tour with multiple well known metal groups.

ShokaiShimizu said:
Well, I'm sure plenty of 15 year old kids will take pleasure in telling you how much of an absolute shit job you're doing when you organize a national tour with multiple well known metal groups.

I may be fifteen and have no experience organizing a tour......but it seems like a pretty important but simple thing to me to tell people if a band isn't going to be playing on a certain night. Every other tour I've looked at in the last few years does it, with a very simple little schedule of dates, and in parenthesis (x band will not be playing tonight). It's pretty obvious Dave didn't do that because of the number of people here who bought their tickets and made travel arrangements not knowing that Symphony X wouldn't be playing.

It also seems disrespectful to Symphony X and the other second stage bands that apparently they're not "important" enough for more effort to be put into telling people when they'll be playing. Because I know they sure as hell would say so if it was one of the mostly mediocre mainstage bands.

Okay, the announcement email I just got is the first Official thing from Gigantour I've seen that noted specifically where second stage bands were and were not playing. Doesn't help the people who already have tickets for those dates, but better late than never.

You guys think it sucks for you, i don't get symphony x or dream theater in seattle, so i'm just not going. My friends are all going down to california on the 30th but i'm busy, so i'm just stuck until they have their album tours.

I'm not going at all by the way.......so you can slam me more if you want. I just decided the lineup was too mediocre. I'll see Symphony X on their next tour.

Let's see...Megadeth, Dream Theater and Nevermore on the main stage. That's a better bill than just about any other concert, much less festival, out there. All three of these bands is deserving of headline status on their own, and you get them on one bill. I would've paid the same price, as my gigantour tix cost, just to see that triple bill alone.

Who knows, sometimes things may not be known, about certain shows, until its booked and sold, and then the promoter comes back to the booking agent and says we have a problem with this, or that. I even heard someone bitching about the ticket price. "Mustaine said they would be X dollars and they're more at this show". Um, the promoters set the ticket prices, not the bands. There are so many variables from city to city that dictate ticket cost. Venue rental fee, insurance, projected attendance and many others.

For those who bought tix hoping to see S:X at a date, and they're not going to be there, that sucks. Maybe, just maybe, the second stage was planned to play, but things changed for some reason. You never know.

I could complain about how shitty I think the bill is for other fests, but what's the point. I'm not going to go, so why piss and moan about it every chance I get. Not everything in life has to go my way...sometimes we don't get our way and that's life.

Okay, apologies in advance if these are dumb questions. My buddy and I are hitting the show in Irvine on Sunday. The only thing we care about is seeing Symphony X. DT and Megadeth will be fun to see but as far as we're concerned, this day is all about Symphony X. I've never been to a festival before.

Is the second stage actually a different stage than the main stage?

Is there a way to find out EXACTLY when Symphony X is scheduled to play?

Do all the second stage bands play, followed by all the first stage bands?

Any idea when the whole thing starts and when it might end?

Is DT playing before Megadeth or vice versa?

Thanks for the help!

TheWhisper said:
Let's see...Megadeth, Dream Theater and Nevermore on the main stage. That's a better bill than just about any other concert, much less festival, out there. All three of these bands is deserving of headline status on their own, and you get them on one bill. I would've paid the same price, as my gigantour tix cost, just to see that triple bill alone.

Who knows, sometimes things may not be known, about certain shows, until its booked and sold, and then the promoter comes back to the booking agent and says we have a problem with this, or that. I even heard someone bitching about the ticket price. "Mustaine said they would be X dollars and they're more at this show". Um, the promoters set the ticket prices, not the bands. There are so many variables from city to city that dictate ticket cost. Venue rental fee, insurance, projected attendance and many others.

For those who bought tix hoping to see S:X at a date, and they're not going to be there, that sucks. Maybe, just maybe, the second stage was planned to play, but things changed for some reason. You never know.

I could complain about how shitty I think the bill is for other fests, but what's the point. I'm not going to go, so why piss and moan about it every chance I get. Not everything in life has to go my way...sometimes we don't get our way and that's life.

Well whether you think the bill is good or not is an opinion. I think the line-up blows, luckily I just got into Nevermore so there is one main stage band I like. I don't have any desire to see DT live anymore, and I have never liked Megadeth...so for me this line-up isn't all that great.

Lerxst13 said:
Okay, apologies in advance if these are dumb questions. My buddy and I are hitting the show in Irvine on Sunday. The only thing we care about is seeing Symphony X. DT and Megadeth will be fun to see but as far as we're concerned, this day is all about Symphony X. I've never been to a festival before.

Is the second stage actually a different stage than the main stage?

That's going to depend on the venue..some may have space for two actual stages, others may make do with one.

Is there a way to find out EXACTLY when Symphony X is scheduled to play?

Not right now..we'll have a better idea what to expect once they've done a few shows, & I'm going to try & reach the guys today & see if they have any info I can pass along.

Do all the second stage bands play, followed by all the first stage bands?

As far as I can tell, they'll be alternating at some point..I think a couple of 2nd stage bands play, then they alternate 1st & 2nd, & then end it with Megadeth & DT (or vice versa).

Any idea when the whole thing starts and when it might end?

You'd have to get that info from your local venue, it varies depending on location.

Is DT playing before Megadeth or vice versa?

Not sure.

Thanks for the help!

Not sure if it was any help, but you're welcome.