Official Immortal Review Thread

Jan 4, 2004
Hey Pyrawarriors,

I would like to make a thread devoted to reviews of the new album, (good or bad, but hopefully good lol) as well as discussion regarding these reviews. We have seen two so far, but keep yours eyes peeled! thanks -jonah w-

http://www.metalcrypt.com/pages/reviews.php?revid=3966

and here is another

Rating 92 / 100

The third album from Pyramaze is without a shadow of doubt their most complete, mature and best. Everything has taken at least one step forward if not more... The riff-o-rama from main songwriter and guitarist Michael Kammeyer is very impressive and could easily be compared with some of the best in the genre and it will stand the test...

They stay true to the style from the first two albums; 'Melancholy Beast' (2004) and 'Legend of the Bone Carver' (2006); power metal peppered with progressive passages and a good flair for a strong melody line. And everything has been refined, has matured and the band has grown into a very strong and tight unit that has created an uncompromising and awesome power metal album.

With the foundations solid in place the two things that makes this a unique and special album are: the brilliant and crystal clear production done by producer extraordinary himself: Jacob Hansen, along with the brilliant vocal performance by Matthew Barlow. Matthew Barlow's performance on this album puts everything he has done with Iced Earth in the past in the shadows! He delivers a very multi-faceted vocal performance on the album, one that really displays all of his strengths as a vocalist.

Matthew Barlow has of course re-joined Iced Earth, so this will sadly enough be the end of this strong cooperation. But the fact is that Matthew Barlow and Pyramaze has recorded one of the most complete and best power metal albums in a very long time. Awesome!

Reviewed by: Kenn Jensen

I just read the review in Rock Hard (German metal magazine) today.

Short summary: 8,5 out of 10 points
great songs (especially the two we already know and Touched by the Mara) with a great Barlow... the riff(s) of Year of the Phoenix sound way like they're written by Mr. Schaffer... only a few faster songs are missed... and the obligatory question: will the new Iced Earth album be as good as Immortal?... well, that's what I remember...

My thoughts: 8,5 points seem NOT to be enough! :) Mr. Schaffer has never written a song as strong as Year of the Phoenix... Immortal will be better!!! I'm so curious, can't wait to hear the whole record (I know, that's nothing new :lol:)

Thanks for starting the thread - love reading reviews... but are the other 2 reviews you mentioned already linked elsewhere here or are they the ones you've just posted? I checked the other review thread here but no luck!?

yuffi, promos CDs are sent out by the record label to industry insiders/webzines/journalists so they can write up reviews prior to the official street date...helps promote the upcoming album.

I found a very good in Alternativmusik.de

http://www.alternativmusik.de/rezensionen/pyramaze-immortal/

My English is not the best, but I try to write the essence.

This is wonderful Progressive Power Metal with fist-class compositions.
There are eight powerful songs with less pathos, but rather with sophisticated guitararrangements and excellent singing.

Pyramaze is one of the most talented bands in Power Metal genre, which has long been heard.
Everything fits together, without boring.
Immortal offers metal at a high level and it is always a pleasure, to hear it.

"The following errors occurred when this message was submitted:

pyramazekeyboardist has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space."

PS: Sorry to hijack this thread folks. Please carry on.

Hey Pyrawarriors,

I would like to make a thread devoted to reviews of the new album, (good or bad, but hopefully good lol) as well as discussion regarding these reviews. We have seen two so far, but keep yours eyes peeled! thanks -jonah w-

http://www.metalcrypt.com/pages/reviews.php?revid=3966

and here is another

Rating 92 / 100

The third album from Pyramaze is without a shadow of doubt their most complete, mature and best. Everything has taken at least one step forward if not more... The riff-o-rama from main songwriter and guitarist Michael Kammeyer is very impressive and could easily be compared with some of the best in the genre and it will stand the test...

They stay true to the style from the first two albums; 'Melancholy Beast' (2004) and 'Legend of the Bone Carver' (2006); power metal peppered with progressive passages and a good flair for a strong melody line. And everything has been refined, has matured and the band has grown into a very strong and tight unit that has created an uncompromising and awesome power metal album.

With the foundations solid in place the two things that makes this a unique and special album are: the brilliant and crystal clear production done by producer extraordinary himself: Jacob Hansen, along with the brilliant vocal performance by Matthew Barlow. Matthew Barlow's performance on this album puts everything he has done with Iced Earth in the past in the shadows! He delivers a very multi-faceted vocal performance on the album, one that really displays all of his strengths as a vocalist.

Matthew Barlow has of course re-joined Iced Earth, so this will sadly enough be the end of this strong cooperation. But the fact is that Matthew Barlow and Pyramaze has recorded one of the most complete and best power metal albums in a very long time. Awesome!

Reviewed by: Kenn Jensen

"The following errors occurred when this message was submitted:

pyramazekeyboardist has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space."

PS: Sorry to hijack this thread folks. Please carry on.

oh my bad, ill empty it:)

yuffi, promos CDs are sent out by the record label to industry insiders/webzines/journalists so they can write up reviews prior to the official street date...helps promote the upcoming album.

Oh, I see. Thx Iced Dog. Whish I were a journalist. :)

Another review this one from Pitriff.com

http://www.pitriff.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=1021

Damn is it nice to hear Matt Barlow's voice again! I am dead serious. Ever since the red haired man from Iced Earth left the mighty to join this police nation, I have longed for his presence in the metal world. Think about it. Horror Show was the last time we have heard the studio version of Mr. Barlow. That is way, way too long. He is meant for metal, and I am proud to say he hasn't missed a beat.

PYRAMAZE return with another album that is not only killer, but continues the growth of one great band. I have been a fan since day one as I know former singer Lance King. He was a force in the band, and everything he sings on is golden. A few months ago when I heard the band secured Matt Barlow to sing on the new record Immortal, I was shocked, and a little worried. Lance sang more high in his register, and I wondered how Matt would do? Would they change styles or be the same? Anticipation grew beyond imagination. Then came word that Matt was rejoining Iced Earth, which was great news for me. I never much cared for Tim "Ripper" Owens. To me he never fit in Iced Earth or Priest. That is just my opinion, but I seriously thought since the rejoin, he abandoned the PYRAMAZE thing. Well, not the case.

Immortal rips! It definitely shows that not only Matt can survive without Jon Schaffer, but he can excel in his own form. PYRAMAZE do change their style a little to highlight Matt, but it is forgiven. There are still awesome keyboard parts as well as melodic guitars and the vocals....well, what do you think? They are killer! Harmonies abundant, strong presence throughout, and this attitude that says "I am back mofos! I am back!" This album kicks all kinds of ass.

PITRIFF RATING - 9/10 - I tell ya what guys, just go out and get it. It is so worth it. ICED EARTH better release something better or it just shows that Matt can do it better on his own. No lie. I am giving it this score to leave room for that release. That is the only reason for the low score. haha It rocks!

Added: Sunday, May 18, 2008
Reviewer: Rian Stallkamp
Score: 4.5 stars

well i have just listen the two new releases/musics on pyramaze site and and i loved them
pyramaze seem to have here another great album lets hope
one of the musics seem to me a bit like nevermore sound but with the quality of pyramaze of course
Pyramaze forever :headbang:

A Review of the "Immortal" CD can be found online on Stormbringer Mag

link:
http://www.stormbringer.at/reviews.php?id=2732

Huh? Well, as Austrian I understand german and just read the review... Pyramaze is just a good copy of old Iced Earth? It's said with different words, but that's the conclusion... I haven't heard anything but the two samples yet (yes, I WILL WAIT until I got the real cd in my hands) but I can't imagine this... Pyramaze create so much atmosphere with the keyboards (thanks Jonah :)), can't remember IE ever doing this. And Niels and Morten would have to play beyond their level on MB or LOTBC to sound like IE... I respect your opinion, but I always considered Pyramaze as original band who pick out the best of IE and several other bands, create their own sound and being able to play at a level way above the average... I'll wait until I listened to Immortal a few times but I don't think I will change my mind. :)

Huh? Well, as Austrian I understand german and just read the review... Pyramaze is just a good copy of old Iced Earth? It's said with different words, but that's the conclusion... I haven't heard anything but the two samples yet (yes, I WILL WAIT until I got the real cd in my hands) but I can't imagine this... Pyramaze create so much atmosphere with the keyboards (thanks Jonah :)), can't remember IE ever doing this. And Niels and Morten would have to play beyond their level on MB or LOTBC to sound like IE... I respect your opinion, but I always considered Pyramaze as original band who pick out the best of IE and several other bands, create their own sound and being able to play at a level way above the average... I'll wait until I listened to Immortal a few times but I don't think I will change my mind. :)

hmmm sorry for straighten some things up here...
there stands, that the european ancestry and for sure their sound keep them away from being an ICED EARTH clone :heh:
and it says also that there are slightly folk influences in „The Highland“, as well as some tunes who remind me a bit on blind guardian...

well ya know.. we always look for comparisons :loco:

and btw.. 4 out of 5 points says it all how i like this album... poorly enough that it will have been a mayfly in this constellation cause of matt's departure from the band...

hmmm sorry for straighten some things up here...
there stands, that the european ancestry and for sure their sound keep them away from being an ICED EARTH clone :heh:
and it says also that there are slightly folk influences in „The Highland“, as well as some tunes who remind me a bit on blind guardian...

well ya know.. we always look for comparisons :loco:

and btw.. 4 out of 5 points says it all how i like this album... poorly enough that it will have been a mayfly in this constellation cause of matt's departure from the band...

I know you like album, sorry for just picking up the IE-theme of your review. It just contained to much "Iced Earth" in my opinion... and I hate the thought that there will be no other Pyramaze-album with Matt... I won't give up hoping that there'll be another one... two... three... :)

Though I listened to Pyramaze AFTER hearing that Matt joined, I myself didn't compare them to Iced Earth or any other band too much... In my opinion, Pyramaze consits of five great musicians who all have their influences (one of them being IE) but I don't know any other band who writes songs like Sleepy Hollow, Mighty Abyss, Souls In Pain... I just guess that many people now say they sound like IE because of Matt! Maybe the guitar work is close to Schaffer's as well, but I definitely did not notice a Jonah-like keyboard sound in any IE-song...