Official Immortal Review Thread

I just found another review, again in german:

http://www.osnametal.de/art_cds.php?letter=A&id=1773

Short summary in English:
An exceptionally talented Matt shows that he can deliver amazing songs without a genius like Jon Schaffer. That's not only due to his capabilities, also due to the other musicians in Pyramaze. Immortal contains great ideas and amazing melodies, nevertheless it all sounds a bit like Iced Earth. But maybe it's only because of Matt's presence. However, the music is great, the guitars are not as dominant as in Iced Earth, they perfectly fit in the overall picture. The production is done well, especially regarding the drums. A progressive touch emerges from several breaks and rhythmical tricks, though it all stays catchy and makes the whole album more appealing. By the way, the cover artwork is great as well. 4,5 points out of 5

I especially like the part about the breaks and rhythmical tricks, I love them so much on MB and LOTBC! :headbang:

And another one:

http://www.musikreviews.de/reviews/2008/Pyramaze/Immortal/

Sorry, again in german...

It's basically like the one I've posted above: great album, especially great vocals, Iced-Earth-riffing (nothing new as the previous albums had this riffing as well). Though the vocals are that great, one should not overlook the fact that Pyramaze have their own trademarks, especially Jonah's (slightly) progressive keyboards. 12 out of 15 points

I`m really sick of reading those reviews. Especially the german ones make it sound like 'Immortal' would be nothing more than 'relevant' without Barlow. Don't get me wrong, I`m really impressed by Matt's performance on yotp and cp, but he gets all the credits.
Pyramaze is more than Matt Barlow. They were great before- and they will be great after him!

... It just contained to much "Iced Earth" in my opinion...

8-times!!! WTF? :yow:

From the Stormbringer-Review:
...leider haftet dieser Veröffentlichung aber dennoch so was wie ein Eintagsfliegen Dasein an, denn mit Barlow werden die Dänen wohl nie wieder zu hören sein. Irgendwie Schade drum, aber that’s life!

My (modest, without claim of accuracy) translation:
...unfortunately this release has something of an ephemeral existents, because we won`t hear them (Pyramaze) with Barlow again. Somehow sad, but that's life!

Uah! Someone is deeply in love!

Yeah. It sure feels good to release all your anger! Sorry.

Anyway, only 5 days until my CD-Player gets new food. Time to play it loud! :headbang:

Finally another one in English ;) and a review that doesn't just concentrate on the Barlow factor and gives praise for the SONGS!!!!!

From www.metalzone.gr; http://www.metalzone.gr/reviews.php?action=details&id=662&lang=en

Lance King is good, very good. Yet, Matt Barlow is something different, no doubt. I was never really excited about Pyramaze, neither was I ever a big fan of Barlow. Nevertheless, I think that this collaboration has a lot to say.
Melodies, atmospheric keyboards, “alternating”, fast and tight rhythm section (except for the track “Legacy In a Rhyme” which is a beautiful ballad), powerful vocals, other times aggressive, other dark, and other times more emotional, while fitting perfectly with the “mood” of the songs, heavy riffs, varying from more “simplified” pure power metal paths to heavier guitars, coming from a dark progressive perspective. This is Progressive Power Metal indeed. Very good production quality, an intro and an outro, which are a bit more epic-like, something that can be found more “veiled” in some spots of the album in general, and 8 awesome songs to complete a must-have album because it has to say a lot indeed, compared to albums that come from bands which are (self)called as power progressive. You enjoy every moment of it, while the tracks are really something, may that be due to the very good compositions, or the vocals that have really led the album to a higher level in general…you won’t push the damned “stop” button (even if you have been listening to it for 5 hours).

Nicoleta Sarantou

Finally another one in English ;) and a review that doesn't just concentrate on the Barlow factor and gives praise for the SONGS!!!!!

Yeah I agree we've all been concentrating too much on Matt's vocals. Matt being gone for 7 years will cause that.

I'm personally still feeling the shock of his return. I agree that although he's an amazing singer, none of the other band members should be exempt from due credit.

The vocals are only as good as the songs and can either add to or destroy them altogether, however if the songs are shittily written, not even the best singer in the world could save them.

So shame on all of you!!! :err:

Just kidding. :) :D

Couple more reviews -
Can't say I agree with the second one from Metal-Invader... not enough hooks? Not so sure too many would agree with that, but to each their own I guess. ;)

http://www.metal-temple.com/review.asp?id=2903

Matt Barlow in PYRAMAZE...wow...When I heard the news - was it one year ago? - I could not help myself but think "Matt who?". Since his departure from ICED EARTH also resulted in a kinda different way of life (at least, in profession) it was not an easy task to see what he’d accomplish singing in this notable Danish Heavy/Power Metal act. Then, the ’Barlow re-joins ICED EARTH’ news struck hard and now "Immortal" hits the stores. And I think ICED EARTH should shortly release a very good album to overlap this fine CD.

The fact that the third release by PYRAMAZE features Matt Barlow (even if, as we speak, Matt seems to no longer sing for PYRAMAZE due to his ’IC return’) should not trap us by neglecting two crucial facts: i) both 2004’s "Melancholy Beast" and 2006’s "Legend Of The Bone Carver" proved to be more than remarkable CDs for the ’once quintet, now sextet’ act, ii) prior to Barlow, the astonishing vocals of Lance King (BALANCE OF POWER, EMPIRE, etc) paved the way for PYRAMAZE to build a strong name in the worldwide ’heavy’ Power Metal scene. Plus: whoever the ’shining star’ in a Metal band can be, still the base (music/lyrics/sound) is built by some hidden ’diamond’. And here the Oscar goes to Michael Kammeyer.

Michael - in my humble opinion - has succeeded in three things since he gave life to PYRAMAZE in 2002. Firstly, he has preserved most of the original ’players’ lineup resulting in putting up a concrete and integrated musical background in all albums, and ii) his choice on vocalists is simply outstanding, while iii) on top of all, his creativity but also multi-influentiallity (is there such a word, really?) elegantly avoids sounding straightforwardly like ’something else’ while personal elements climb up in foreground scales.

Thus, in "Immortal" we see PYRAMAZE expanding what fans had the chance to hear in prior due to the band’s sample offerings of two tracks ("Year Of The Phoenix" and "Caramon’s Poem"). The riffing is heavy and fat, the keys add up enough atmosphere without - however - challenging for a dominant role, the bass/drums lines are pounding and strict and varying, while the vocals of Matt are as great as always; no need to worry. The solo themes by the guitars are of full spirit, well-worked, and dual-working at times. If you always thought PYRAMAZE had enough ICED EARTH ’ingredients’ in their music, then in this album you’ll meet some more. Fact is PYRAMAZE had written music in the past with one and a half eye to the US Power Metal scenarios, still the ’Northern’ quarter is also honoured, even if it takes more than half a dozen of spins to come up with this argument.

The songs: I got hooked on "Ghost Light"; it starts off in a wild mid-pace double-bass mood with majestic keys lead bursting out, then to co-exchange choir chorus vocals and some dramatic singing by Barlow. The rhythm/lead guitar licks add that ’IC something’ portion, the interlude upgrades the whole tune into an ’epic’ track and the first part of the solo stands proud in the ultra-MAIDEN way. "Shadow Of The Beast" filters a semi-prog mood with some Scandinavian Power Metal tendency, while "Year Of The Phoenix" comes as close to a ’European’ ICED EARTH you can get and "Legacy In A Rhyme" will act as the perfect half-time; a strings/piano/vocals song with enough of SAVATAGE/EDGUY/IC bringing to mind. "The Highland", on the other hand, flirts with traditional/folk Metal ideas, yet always under the relative volume/sound ’prism’.

Is "Immortal" the perfect album? No, since many fans may find it a little bit single-dimensional. In addition, the duration of the CD is of not more than 45 minutes, and especially the juvenile consumers, used to 60-minutes-plus of music-meets-fillers, may be critical to this fact. Still, I believe "Immortal" is worth your money if you’re ’into’ their music or you like your Metal being ’rich’ in volume yet ample and ’Power’.

Rating 3.5/5

http://www.metal-invader.com/db/reviews-4941.html

Hm, this album is a bizarre case. It will be pitted against an Iced Earth release, as they will both be released in pretty close succession and it features the now re-instated in Iced Earth, Matt Barlow, behind the mic, who will also be handling the vocals on that album too. Without making a huge departure from the bands sound, this album is also done in a way that uncunningly emulates certain Iced Earth trademarks. Whilst more progy and instrumentally far more competent and interesting than anything Jon Schaffer has managed since “Something wicked this way comes” the album, “Immortal” overall, falls in a trap of sounding too much like a mediocre Iced Earth album, rather than a good Pyramaze album. Maybe it’s because Barlow’s vocals are so distinctive and Lance King, previously made the band sound a lot lighter, with his Labrie like delivery. The combination of the music becoming a little slower and heavier – combined with the unmistaken able vocals however causes that effect.
Overall it’s not a bad album by any means, but it’s not a great one, either. It seems like a one off – since this will be the only contribution of Matt Barlow in the band and it definitely doesn’t sound too original or inspired. It’s an average album – that might please hardcore fans of Iced Earth but it may estrange some Pyramaze fans. While song like “year of the phoenix” & “Caramon’s Poem” are not exactly bad – they take no real chances and sound like derivatives. And who wants an Iced Earth clone and a second rate Iced Earth album… ?
With all due respect, since I am becoming more selective – there weren’t enough hooks here to keep me interested and as the genre has gone stale, I was left rather cold… however if you like the given style, still, this is a more than decent effort, with ok songs and a great production. It just doesn’t do it for me.
But then, I m not in the headspace where I was when Iced Earth was still relevant – and neither I thin they are. Plus while this is not a bad album, I liked Pyramaze more with Lance King. With Matt Barlow behind the mic, it’s just another band.
I guess, your best bet is to go to the bands myspace – and sample the thing yourselves.

Reviewer: Dimitrios Fatouros
Rating 4 Skulls.

Another one. Jonah, he loves you, hahahaha
I don't agree with him though :lol:

From http://www.globaldomination.se/reviews/pyramaze :

Let’s face it, you were as anxious for Matt Barlow returning to Iced Earth as I was. There’s no shame on it. There’s nothing wrong with being gay. Come on, guys, we just have to embrace our feminine side. Right?

Anyway, what actually started the whole Barlow debacle was the announcement that he was coming back to music, and most importantly, to metal, singing for the not-so-well known Danish band Pyramaze. Personally, I didn’t know such a band existed. So, like everyone else did, I downloaded the samples when they were available, thought they were kinda cool and guessed “hey, this should be promising”.

Now I have the album “Immortal”, the first recorded material from Barlow in God knows how many years. What’s it like, you wonder. Well, it’s kinda average, to be totally honest, but it’s not as shitty as what Iced Earth has been putting out, I’ll tell you that.

After your usual (yeap, you guessed it) introduction, “Year of the Phoenix” kicks in. It’s a good track, your typical power metal, even sounds like something that could be featured in an Iced Earth record. Good chorus and it’s very relieving to hear that Barlow hasn’t lost his touch at all. He sounds as good as he did ten years ago. Glad we dodged that bullet there.

“Ghost Light” starts out fine, but has some really gay keyboards fucking it all up before there’s even any singing, and that fucking annoying keyboard player keeps pissing me off through most of the track. Some nice guitar duets, though. And apart from the keyboards, the track is pretty heavy.

Have I mentioned how ridiculous the name Pyramaze is? In case I haven’t, let me just take the time to do that now. What a fucking stupid name. Thank you. Moving on.

As I get to “Touched by the Mara”, I suddenly realize that this album is pretty good, it would be average normally, but Matthew’s vocals are so damn good, are so fucking on key, and badass, and killer, that this takes the album to a whole other level. There’s no other way of saying it, Barlow put the band on the map and he’s the reason the album is interesting.

I don’t mean to be a dick, though, the songwriting is decent. Everyone in the band plays their instrument adequately, above average, except for the keyboard player who is a flaming homo and should be shot.

“A Beautiful Death”, “Legacy in a Rhyme”, all good, power metal riffs, hey, Matt’s singing is really good on this album, “Caramon’s Poem”, “The Highland”, power metal, double bass, hey, Matt’s vocals are amazing in “Legacy in a Rhyme” and look, it’s a keyboard and vocals only song and the keyboard player doesn’t fuck it all up, now I’ve seen elephants fly.

Well, you get the point, right? This actually gives me hope for the future of Iced Earth, because even if Jon Schaffer has lost all of his super powers and keeps releasing dog shit in CD format, Barlow proves that he can make sub par material sound awesome. God bless that red headed man. I do like the song “The Highland”, though. It’s pretty. Yes, I just said a song was pretty. I think that’s enough for the day.

The cover: It’s a wizard or something like that, a power metal landscape and a phoenix. Yeah, power metal, Rhapsody in flames, all that jazz.

7 Iced Earth mentions out of 10.

Google'd a bit a found another nice (personal) review:

My expectations for this CD were about as high as you could imagine. I was not only a big fan of Matt Barlow with Iced Earth but I also really enjoyed the previous Pyramaze album, "Legend of the Bone Carver". The almighty Barlow's voice had not been heard in over 6 years prior to this album, and I was really anxious to hear how his voice and approach may have changed in his time away from metal and mostly music in general. Being his grand return, "Immortal" would need to be an impeccable album in order for it to truely satisfy me.
"Arise" greets us with some epic orchestration and somewhat cheesy spoken narration. However, under the circumstances of Barlow's great resurrection, a little epicness is totally called for.
"Year of the Pheonix" comes ripping through the speakers like a freight train... heavy riffs, great guitar melodies, awesome drumming, and an awesome scream from Barlow. Just one word comes to mind for me regarding this track: EPIC. The verses are slow and crunching, the prechoruses do an awesome job at building, and the chorus just blows you away. Probably one of the catchiest songs on the whole album, I have not tired of it slightly in the many listens Ive already given this album. This track really establishes the factor of this album that most surprised me. I was expecting Barlow's vocals to carry my enthusiasm, but the rest of the band really offer some first class playing. The level of orchestration in the songs is brilliant, the guitar solo are very impressive yet not once cross into wanking territory.
The second actual track on the disk, "Ghost Light" begins with a mid-tempo crunching riff with some cool keyboard melodies over it. The first verse shows Barlow reaching more towards the rough side of his vocal capabilities, but the chorus really uses it to play off of a more melodic vocal bit, adding to the vocal diversity of the album. This track, as well as those that soon follow it help establish that the quality of "Year of the Pheonix" was no fluke and this band has brought their best to the table. "Touched By the Mara" and "A Beautiful Death" are very good tracks but don't quite stand out much when compared to most of these. Don't get me wrong, quality is abound, but not the cream of the crop to be found here.
Track 6, "Legacy in a Rhyme" is probably the pleasant surprise of the album for me. This track is basically a piano ballad at heart, though it's far from the cheesy overload of bombast usually present in tracks like this. Barlow's vocal performance is wrought with conviction throughout, and the music backing him is absolutely superb. The lyrics are among the best on the album, and this track really drives home the ability of this band to cover different styles and still maintain the same great level of quality.
"Caramons Poem" takes us right back to the great uptemo and catchy greatness of the opening cut, and stands as one of my favorite tracks on the album. The intro perfectly sets up a heavy verse followed by a really melodic prechorus and extremely powerful chorus that will surely have you singing along shortly after hearing it for the first time. Unfortunately the track seems somewhat incomplete, mainly due to failing to return to a chorus following an instrumental break. However, I'm hardly going to deduct substancial marks for that. "The Highland" begins with a vocal-driven intro which gives you a really cool folky vibe, which dissapears during the main body of the song until the chorus is reached. As many other tracks do, this song shows a great deal of choir arrangements and great uses of backing vocals to really accentuate the many different passages.
The final full track on the disk, "Shadow of the Beast" is among the more intricately arranged pieces of to be found here and, with the afforementioned tracks respectively, stands among my favorite tracks on the album. There are many different parts comprising this track, and it's difficult to split the song into an easy "verse/chorus" format, though many of the parts do repeat in a logical order. Many passages are very epic and at times dark sounding, while the chorus goes for a very straight-forward driving feel. About 4 and a half minutes through the song, the general feel we've come to know fades and an acoustic-driven passage begins. I felt that this may just lead to a quiet ending to the track, but the driving guitars return once more with some simple yet powerful riffs which allow things to pick up into a final and epic guitar solo. Lastly, "March Through an Endless Rain" is a very orchestra-driven outro piece which really helps to bring a sense of closure to the last 40-odd minutes of listening. You almost get the feel of the closing credits to a war-themed movie or something here, and it gave me chills on the first listen.
To put it simply, this album basically met all the anticipations I had or even could've had for it, and I am extremely satisfied. I can only bring two formidable complaints to the table here. The first is that I feel the album is a tad on the short side, clocking in at 45:29 and hosting just 8 full songs. I feel a longer (8-10 minute) epic track near the end of this album really could've sealed the deal, but the length really isn't a big deal for me, as at least it never drags in the slightest bit. Secondly, as far as I know now, due to Matt Barlow rejoining Iced Earth, this will be a one-off stint. No tour, no follow up album(s), this is it. As big a fan of Iced Earth with Barlow as I have been, I really can not see Jon Schaffer being able to come up with a batch of tunes that can even compete on the same level as this, let alone top it... Barlow or no Barlow. However, that is again not really a complaint about the album itself.
I can't recomend this highly enough to any fan of metal in general, but particularly progressive power metal. Honestly though, this album strays far enough in every direction to satisfy everyone without leaning too far in any of the directions to really upset anyone either. Simply put, this album is a true winner to me, and probably the best new release I have heard in quite a long time.

“Ghost Light” starts out fine, but has some really gay keyboards fucking it all up before there’s even any singing, and that fucking annoying keyboard player keeps pissing me off through most of the track. Some nice guitar duets, though. And apart from the keyboards, the track is pretty heavy.

Ok someone should hunt down this 13 year old, grate a brick against his eyeballs, sledgehammer it up his fucking ass, make him eat it, shit it out, and repeat the process for the duration of his miserable life. What a loser moron dipfuck cocksucker!!!!!!

Really, Jonah, what do you think of this little inbred dick-for-brains motherfucker?

:Smokin:

Jonah loves him, hahaha. Tak for kaffe :)

Found another one on http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2008/pyramaze-immortal/:

Pyramaze experienced fantastic luck, and bitter disappointment in the space of just a few short months as they gained, and lost an amazing new singer. Original vocalist Lance King left the band after their 2006 ProgPower USA performance. A few months later the band announced that former Iced Earth vocalist Matt Barlow would be returning to heavy metal after a career in law enforcement as their new vocalist. The future looked incredibly bright.

Then in December last year Iced Earth announced that Barlow would be returning to them, replacing his replacement Tim “Ripper” Owens. Barlow agreed to finish the Pyramaze album, but would then focus entirely on Iced Earth. This must have been bitterly disappointing news for founder Michael Kammeyer and Pyramaze as I’m sure they’d hoped to continue with Barlow beyond Immortal.

And on the evidence of this disc fans will be saying the same thing. Yes with Barlow’s incredibly unique voice comparisons to Iced Earth are inevitable, but this is nevertheless a flawless metal record; Barlow sounding as good as he ever has. The scream which kicks of the first proper song, Year of The Phoenix (Arise is an ominous intro piece) is one of his best and although the high-speed main riff is very Iced Earth, Pyramaze’s more progressive leanings give it much more life (note the blistering solo at the end).

Many of the tracks are unbelievably good; perfectly mixing melody, crushing heaviness, musicianship and the requisite vocal acrobatics. But there are standouts, for different reasons, and those are Caramon’s Poem, Barlow’s incredible vocals on ballad Legacy In Rhyme and the devastating Ghost Light. Other highlights include the medieval Scottish marching anthem The Highland and blistering opener Year of The Phoenix.

Everyone involved in this record has done an outstanding job and we can all but hope that when Iced Earth are on a break, Pyramaze can persuade Barlow to tour with them. It will be interesting to see who they get as a new full-time vocalist, because this album and Barlow’s performance is going to take some beating.

Hrmm, while that globaldomination review had a good style to it, i think it was pretty far off, Jonah's keys really give it the power feel. Without the epic string sounds in the back of "power metal" songs I think they would all just become "metal" songs..

PYRAMAZE (DEN)
IMMORTAL Locomotive Records
Written by Matthieu De Ronde on Friday 30 May, 2008. Last updated on Friday 30 May, 2008
Even though Pyramaze isn’t a really well known name outside of the western part of Europe, in 2007 they made headline news throughout the metal world with the announcement that Matthew Barlow (Ex-Cauldron, Iced Earth) had joined the band as vocalist for their third album “Immortal”. This was big news since a few years earlier, Barlow retired from singing to become a police agent but this would mean the return of this much loved vocalist.

After an atmospheric intro, the “Immortal” album really gets started and my first though was that this might have been some scrapped material from Iced Earth’s prime days, if they had used keyboards. This is mainly the case for the first three songs, but this does not mean that the album is a complete clone. The typical Pyramaze style is still present which means melodic power metal with the occasional progressive passage. In comparison with “Legend of the Bone Carver”, the band has found a better balance between the keyboards and guitars and they now both get an equal opportunity to shine which shows of both the talents of Michael Kammeyer and Jonah Weingarten. I also would like to mention the “Shadow of the Beast” track, since this shows a Viking metal / Blind Guardian influence in the mix with the chanting at the end. It was really good to hear Matthew Barlow again after all those years and I can gladly say that he is still as good as before. All his trademark vocal abilities can be found on “Immortal” and it shows that he doesn’t need a Jon Shaffer to be a good singer.

The “Immortal” album by Pyramaze is the best record of the band up to date. A good balance has been found between the melodic and the heavy parts of the music and this combined with the superb vocals by Matthew Barlow. It might start of a bit too familiar, but after a few songs you find an evolved Pyramaze.

I wouldn't take the globaldomination reviews seriously, and the fact that the guy gave the record postive score of 7 means that probably he likes the album, and the review is written for "lulz". ;)

Oh and btw haven't i told you already that album is fantastic?!
It is!! definetly one of the best records this year! An the best Pyramaze album!
Really if Barlow quits, hire someone with so much emotions in voice! It added incredible depth to the Pyramusic!

Finally, the review from my favorite metal-site! And boy does it praise you :).

http://www.metalreviews.com/reviews/detail.php3?id=4486

...Michael Kammeyer has quietly built a reputation as a premier songwriter. He is in the ranks of Tobi Sammet, Tony Kakko, and Tuomas Holopainen as the man with the plan of the band. He knows how to use dynamics intelligently and correctly. Those time changes and transitions to quiet and back to loud are thought out and not just fumbled into the song for length's sake. Michael's style of writing leans toward the meat and potatoes style of heavy metal with a flair for the epic, and keyboardist Jonah Weingarten paints a lush, picturesque scenery using his keyboard washes and leads. Jonah’s role in the band is ever growing as well. No less than three songs were penned by him, the intro, Legacy In A Rhyme, and March Through An Endless Rain. I hope this songwriting chemistry continues as it has yielded fruitful results so far. ...