Official Motorsport Racing Thread

SweptbackFlame

twitch.tv/SweptbackFlame
Oct 4, 2006
Canada
I don't know if there is an official thread for this or anything, and I don't watch any motorsport often, but on occasion I will.

Anyways did you guys see this insane F3 Formula GP crash in Macau on the weekend?

17 year old female driver. I'm amazed she is still alive to be honest, a fractured spine and 1 other driver injured and 3 others also injured. Like this shit is just insane.

yeah, that was fucking nuts. some of those marshals were inches away from getting decapitated. i can't believe she survived, even in slow motion it looks like she's going faster than normal speed lol

i'm not a huge motorsports guy but i do regularly watch the F1. it's kind of a broken sport in some ways but it can be really entertaining every so often. hamilton is probably my country's greatest sportsman of this decade, at least among the major sports.

Reactions: SweptbackFlame
Looking forward to the Ricciardo/Hulkenberg pairing at Renault next year.

yeah same. danny ric is pretty much the only top driver i don't dislike, i'm rooting for him. will be interesting to see how leclerc and gasly do in better cars, too. i believe toro rosso are giving kvyat another chance which might be funny.

Reactions: jimmy101
Holy fucking shit. I've never liked open wheel racing, always preferred touring/stock cars. The one time I got bored and watched some IndyCar was at a motel in 2015, and it just happened to be the messy race that killed Justin Wilson, so that kinda cemented my opinion.

The only series I have time to follow is the Australian Supercars anyway. The final round of 2018 is coming up on the weekend and it's two New Zealanders competing for the title, so that makes it extra interesting for me.

This was one of the crazier recent crashes in Supercars. The driver was fine, just covered in dirt:

Last edited:
yeah, that was fucking nuts. some of those marshals were inches away from getting decapitated. i can't believe she survived, even in slow motion it looks like she's going faster than normal speed lol

So check out the aftermath and the breakdown on what happened and how close she was to dying. Like when she crashed in that media tower her head went between the window. She definitely had someone watching over her. One of those photographers had his spleen lacerated apparently.

Robert Kubica to return to F1 racing in 2019 with Williams

RE4HOOr.jpg

Very much an unexpected move that's for sure. I was convinced Williams would have went with two pay-drivers in 2019 considering they're set to lose their Martini sponsorship.

I made it out to a motorsport event in person for the first time since 2013. Western Springs Speedway in Auckland. I'd wanted to make it there for a little while since the speedway is at risk of being closed. I hadn't been to a speedway since I was a kid. Good to see how crazily fast they go around there, though I'd say things like demolition derby races or especially NZ's "super stocks" would be even more entertaining to watch.

Damn I miss the Outlaws Series. Those things with wings put on one hell of a show.
We have a series call Super Sedans which are bigger and louder but the Winged Warriors are always the highlight.
We don't get as many Demo Derbies these days but 30 years ago we used to have a caravan derby every year, then that turned into a portable dunny derby.

That roll looks pretty bad but up until the car hits the ute it's a text book car roll over, the exact thing these cars are built to withstand. The problem for him was that once his passenger wheel lifted off the ground, which happened in a part of the track that was not changed, the car's lift could not be contained and everything that happened was always going to happen.

It could have been worse because only a few minutes before the ute was parked in a position that the car would have landed on the its roof but I'd have been surprised if the guy DIDN'T walk away from that with little more than bruises, the cars are made for it.

If the car's wheel hadn't lifted off the ground it could've gone hard into that tyre wall against the grass you can see at 1:27, so the roll was probably quite favourable for the driver.

The biggest problem I saw with the accident was the guy had no regard for the officials in the ute. He may well have changed his tune in later interviews but the interview they did with him straight out of hospital it was all "me me me". He was the guy protected by a roll cage and safety equipment, the official had nothing, unless they were looking in the mirror they wouldn't have even seen him coming.

Question for the F1 fans here... which team do you feel has had the greater dynasty? Ferrari in the early 2000's, or Mercedes from 2014 to now?

Very true, and I don't believe it will stop either. Not sure what's going to happen re. engine homogenisation wise when the next set of regs hit, but its hard to see their supremacy in that department being seriously challenged, at least initially. Honda-RBR will probably be the ones to topple them.

Then again, Ferrari's domination happened more organically, I don't think Ferrari's dominance happened on the back of a major regulation change.