Official Motorsport Racing Thread

Anyone else watched any of the virtual races happening while the drivers are in lockdown? Supercars just held their first eSeries round tonight and it mostly went smoothly. The full video is here.

Their 3rd race in the virtual world started out just a teeny bit crazier than a real life one though:

Reactions: Slammed
I'm a brand new F1 fan after having binged Drive to Survive. Definitely became a Hulkenberg fan, albeit too late. Not really sure who to root for at the moment, but enjoying the races nonetheless. Humbe Bundle recently released F1 2018 for free on their website, so I've started racing the actual tracks, which has given me even more respect for these guys. Monaco and Baku are absolutely insane, and the fact that we don't see even MORE crashes there is impressive enough. The only shitty thing about F1 is that all the races start at 6am here in the States..

yeah i have a lot of familiarity with driving most of the tracks from various old f1 games myself, it does give you some extra perspective. that fine balance between too little speed and too little grip is so hard to maintain.

gotta like hulkenberg. there aren't many drivers i root for currently. i've always liked danny ric, and some of the mid-table guys like perez and ocon. kimi makes me laugh although he's a total prick. verstappen is obviously the best guy to watch over the past couple of years although i don't like him as a person (gotta be preferable to hamilton or vettel though).

not sure it's the best time to become an f1 fan tbh, too many dull races and too much mercedes dominance, but things should hopefully get better for 2022 as the regulation changes are going to transform everything in theory.

Reactions: -CC-
It's an amazing piece of engineering that allows a guy to survive such and accident.
Haven't heard the full story but apparently our little Aussie whinger Ricardo was not happy about how something about the accident was handled.

I thought I heard Ricardo say something about the way he, or maybe they as drivers, were treated was harsh.

I heard they waited until the guy was out and walking away before they showed any replay, which was probably a good thing. One report said it took them two hours to clean up the mess and start racing again, but even with that time frame I wouldn't have thought the drivers were just sitting around watching replays.

5 more deaths in the isle of man tt this year i see, bringing the total to 265. absolutely insane that it's still a thing. not surprising if you watch the footage though:

don't watch if you're squeamish as at least one of these was fatal (the one at 5:08, obviously lol). the one at 0:50ish actually fucking survived somehow.

Reactions: RadicalThrasher

"7th generation watermelon farmer" (apparently he's actually 8th generation)

The dude eliminated as a result called the move brilliant. If a similar thing happened in racing down under, I imagine rules would be changed to close the 'loophole' and prevent intentional damage to walls or bringing the sport into disrepute. Drivers/teams/fans would have a good whinge.

Considering the number of circular, banked tracks we have in this country where such a move could be advantageous I'd imagine rule breaking would be the least of the drivers worries if he tried such a stunt down under.

I guess I mean a similar degree of thinking outside the box, not necessarily involving the same physics! It's entertaining as hell anyway - he even got a lap record out of it.