Official Off Topic Thread

War_Blade said:
How do you explain of cultures in different parts of the world, who were isolated from each other all have dragons in their myths?
As I also feel, every myth, no matter how imaginative, is rooted in some obscure reality, because no matter how humanity tries, we cannot escape the frame of our perception. Everything we know is based on things witnessed in this world, true or exaggerated.

Kenneth R. said:
As I also feel, every myth, no matter how imaginative, is rooted in some obscure reality, because no matter how humanity tries, we cannot escape the frame of our perception. Everything we know is based on things witnessed in this world, true or exaggerated.
Thats the argument I use to support my reasoning behind my belief in the reality of Atlantis.

Ptah Khnemu said:
Thats the argument I use to support my reasoning behind my belief in the reality of Atlantis.
As for that one, I believe there was such a city, that it was sunk (by eruption or tectonic activity no doubt) and that it was somewhere in the mediterranean. I do not believe it was the lost ark of human (or alien) knowledge of that it was a civilization more advanced than our own.

Kenneth R. said:
As for that one, I believe there was such a city, that it was sunk (by eruption or tectonic activity no doubt) and that it was somewhere in the mediterranean. I do not believe it was the lost ark of human (or alien) knowledge of that it was a civilization more advanced than our own.
Agreed, though i wish it was. Makes a great story that would be really amazing if it were true. As is the case with so many myths...

Anyhow, agreed. There's no way things could exist in so many cultures throughout the world without some basis in truth, no matter how minute.

Kenneth R. said:

Yes, that isn't really hard to believe. But a spieces of mermaid type creatures running it, seems a bit hard for me to believe. If so, we would have encountered some by now, considering the Mediterranean is a very traveled sea, with clear waters. I wouldn't be surprized at all to find a lost city there though.

Mermaid story is created by "horny" sea voyagers who can't see a woman for months because of the the long voyages. I think one of them hallucinated a woman in the sea and it became a myth or something :)

War_Blade said:
Yes, that isn't really hard to believe. But a spieces of mermaid type creatures running it, seems a bit hard for me to believe. If so, we would have encountered some by now, considering the Mediterranean is a very traveled sea, with clear waters. I wouldn't be surprized at all to find a lost city there though.

Yeah, agreed. The amount of seismic activity in that area means it's not impossible for something that drastic to have happened. Look at what happened when Vesuvius blew its top--two cities buried and not rediscovered for thousands of years.

I could see the lost city possibly being especially affluent, or especially knowledgeable, but no more so than Alexandria would've been in its time (to give a proven example). That could've easily started some of the legends.

Greetings.. thought i'd introduce myself instead of just randomly start posting... names Marc, hope I don't annoy too many of you, but the fact that there is a Final Fantasy thread in this forum just makes it too hard to resist!

Thorns On My Grave said:
Greetings.. thought i'd introduce myself instead of just randomly start posting... names Marc, hope I don't annoy too many of you, but the fact that there is a Final Fantasy thread in this forum just makes it too hard to resist!
Haha score 1 for Proulxski! :D:D:D

Welcome Marc, I recognise you from the thread games.

Kenneth R. said:

yeah I saw a documentary once about a fair sized island now under water in the mediterranean which they believe MAY be Atlantis. And well as for being 'more advanced than our own' - thats subjective. I believe Ancient Greek Civilisation was in alot of ways more advanced than todays culture, it just depends on what you mean by 'advancement'. I think previous civilisations had reached their climax and then declined to make way for new ones and that it is a cyclical process. Furthermore, I also believe there is nothing we are doing now in the way of technology that it is entirely possible that hasn't been done before.

I think our current wave of civilisation so far is a pretty poor effort personally as we have done more environmental damage in the past 30-40yrs than was done throughout our history, and our climate problems are on the point of no return which is a scary thought.

The myth of Atlantis does make me wonder however, if its possible their civilisation at the pivotal point of its technological advancement was in fact experimenting with genetic engineering which we have been doing now for a few years.

SilentRealm said:
yeah I saw a documentary once about a fair sized island now under water in the mediterranean which they believe MAY be Atlantis. And well as for being 'more advanced than our own' - thats subjective. I believe Ancient Greek Civilisation was in alot of ways more advanced than todays culture, it just depends on what you mean by 'advancement'. I think previous civilisations had reached their climax and then declined to make way for new ones and that it is a cyclical process. Furthermore, I also believe there is nothing we are doing now in the way of technology that it is entirely possible that hasn't been done before.

I think our current wave of civilisation so far is a pretty poor effort personally as we have done more environmental damage in the past 30-40yrs than was done throughout our history, and our climate problems are on the point of no return which is a scary thought.

The myth of Atlantis does make me wonder however, if its possible their civilisation at the pivotal point of its technological advancement was in fact experimenting with genetic engineering which we have been doing now for a few years.
Oh, from a cultural aspect you're absolutely right. I was referring more to technology, for example I doubt they had CD players etc. But yes, our current society can't hold a candle to ancient Greeks' philosophy, mathematics, or drama.

Oh c'mon, do you really believe that Atlantis or Mu stuff ? Believe me, if there was a civilisation which is much more advanced than us, then we must have been already found some evidence or remnant of them, but there are none.