Official Off Topic Thread

(Test post...)

Sorry about this...I was having trouble posting into another thread. Guess the "Dissection" thread is broken...

J-Dubya 777 said:
Music doesn't have to be complicated to be enjoyable. I like old Bon Scott era AC/DC as much as I like the "complex" stuff. Writing complex music, for the sake of just being complex would just make you, Pain of Salvation! :)

J-Dubya

Most of your PoS remarks are either funny, or atleast people can understand that you don't like them. But the complexity remark is a bit off.

dargormudshark said:
Most of your PoS remarks are either funny, or atleast people can understand that you don't like them. But the complexity remark is a bit off.

They try to be complex for the sake of being complex. It adds nothing to their cut/paste music. That's my biased story, and I'm sticking to it! :heh:

If only they would only just ditch Daniel, and get it over with! ;)

J-Dubya

I wish, you, as a prog metal fan, at least show some respect to POS. Not only their music, but what the band is trying to say with their songs. I don't know if you really dig the music, but if you did, you must have known that Daniel is really a wise guy, and writes amazing lyrics. The band have a philosophy and i like it. That's what it takes to be progressive, not only odd times and shredding guitars. But i am hoping that you know it already.

turke said:
I wish, you, as a prog metal fan, at least show some respect to POS. Not only their music, but what the band is trying to say with their songs. I don't know if you really dig the music, but if you did, you must have known that Daniel is really a wise guy, and writes amazing lyrics. The band have a philosophy and i like it. That's what it takes to be progressive, not only odd times and shredding guitars. But i am hoping that you know it already.

Daniel is an idiot. Without getting into a HUGE flamefest, lets just say I don't agree with his politics, or his attitude towards his US fans. IMO, he's a walking talking phuck-stick! That aside, I find them all to be competent musicians, who unfortunately suffer from the cut/paste song structuring
and write stuff simply for the sake of being progressive. While not 100% certain, I believe I can pin that fault on Daniel. The only PoS cd worth owning is OHBtCL. I have seen PoS at every Prog Power they played at since the very first one, and they just completely fail to interest me in the least. Their last PP appearance was considered lame, unrehearsed, and just plain BAD by some of their most hard core fans. If they never return here, the world will be a better place.....

J-Dubya - Hates to whip out the annual PoS Hatred post! :saint:

J-Dubya 777 said:
Daniel is an idiot. Without getting into a HUGE flamefest, lets just say I don't agree with his politics, or his attitude towards his US fans. IMO, he's a walking talking phuck-stick! That aside, I find them all to be competent musicians, who unfortunately suffer from the cut/paste song structuring
and write stuff simply for the sake of being progressive. While not 100% certain, I believe I can pin that fault on Daniel. The only PoS cd worth owning is OHBtCL. I have seen PoS at every Prog Power they played at since the very first one, and they just completely fail to interest me in the least. Their last PP appearance was considered lame, unrehearsed, and just plain BAD by some of their most hard core fans. If they never return here, the world will be a better place.....

J-Dubya - Hates to whip out the annual PoS Hatred post! :saint:

I'm suprised that you can listen One hour if you hate his politics so much. I hate his politics as well as his religious philosophy but I respect how he brings it out.

Yngvai X said:
oooooooh man, I had that shit when I was in Germany. SO FUCKING GOOD!!! I wish we had that in America...we have some similar stuff like gyros but I haven't found a turkish/greek/mediterranean place near me that knows what the fuck Im talking about when I ask for döner :cry:
I think there's a place for your doner needs. On 53rd and 6th in Manhattan is a stand that sells the stuff for $5; they're open from 8 PM- 5 AM. You'd be surprised at how long the lines are (the line extends for blocks; waiting for 45 minutes is fast) even though they operate during seemingly off-peak hours. The food is amazing. You ought to check it out the next time you're in the city.

It has the most cohesive song writing on it IMO, and it's not so much his personal politics from back then but how he's acted more recently....
You'll never be able to pin me down 100% ;)

J-Dubya

What is his attitude towards American fans ? I only know that he refused to go to the gigs in USA, because of the policy of USA, to stamp every person who enters the country. And i respect to his decision.

And i gotta say, i love his philosophy about useless wars, destruction of nature... What he says in the albums are really very serious topics. I don't think he is bringing these up just for money or reputation. Cause they are not rich.

POS is progressive. And Daniel is one of the top vocalists of the metal scene. And it is not only me who is saying that. I am sorry :) I love POS for their sayings, as much as i love SX, for their music.

turke said:
What is his attitude towards American fans ? I only know that he refused to go to the gigs in USA, because of the policy of USA, to stamp every person who enters the country. And i respect to his decision.

And i gotta say, i love his philosophy about useless wars, destruction of nature... What he says in the albums are really very serious topics. I don't think he is bringing these up just for money or reputation. Cause they are not rich.

POS is progressive. And Daniel is one of the top vocalists of the metal scene. And it is not only me who is saying that. I am sorry :) I love POS for their sayings, as much as i love SX, for their music.

Because I refuse to turn this into a political debate, we're going to have to agree to disagree. Their last performance here, they played like unrehearsed hacks, which surprised me even. Destruction of nature = BAD, War is unfortunately a necessity in current times, perhaps we need ONE more big one before the "thousands of years of peace". I hope if/when he does come back here, he gets a COMPLETE body cavity search. Daniel is a complete TOOL. I feel bad for the US fans of the band, but other Scandie bands have NO problem coming here to play for their fans, perhaps Mr. Goldenblow should check his ego at the door.....

J-Dubya

OK, i got your point. You mean he is mixing politics with his music too much, and i can agree to that but till some point. Destruction of nature is bad of course, isn't it ? And the one big war you're talking about is already being made between two big religions which i am not happy about at all. I also know that wars will never end because it is the law of nature, but the topic "war" is really not that simple, it is very complex, and we are making "wrong wars" i think. We are dying for stupid reasons.

I can also understand yout patriotism, we all love our countries, but i can't stop thinking that the last few years, USA really have gone too far on what they call "deffence", and started to act like they are the only living nation in the world, and started getting more and more isolated, making more and more enemies. That might be OK for you, but don't forget, you need hell to keep the heaven warm.

So may be Daniel is a little bit too "politic" on his own point of view, i can agree with that, but he deserves some respect for what he says from my sight. Cause he doesn't just talk bullshit.

Fakerofdeath said:
I tell them across the Jugular

but make sure you tell them to drop their head to the side to cut - dont raise their head up and back like you see people do in movies (when you raise your head back to cut, a strong piece of cartilage moves across the jugular to protect it, when you drop your head to the side, the cartilage moves away again leaving it exposed)

.. is it scary i know these things? :)

turke said:
OK, i got your point. You mean he is mixing politics with his music too much, and i can agree to that but till some point.

Politics have been in music for a long time. You will eventually alienate your fans if you get too political. Neil Young is currently doing it, and I stopped going to Project/Object (Zappa tribute band) because of their politics. Zappa was VERY political, but he picked on EVERYONE that weasn't doing his/her job. P/O went overboard on the last show I attended, and a fight was about to start in the crowd amongst the opposing sides. Whatever happened to Shut Up & Play Your Guitar. Too many self proclaimed political experts in this country, on BOTH sides of the coin. If I want politics, I'll watch C-Span, when I pay to see a show, I don't want to be preached at, no matter if I agree or disagree with what's being said.

turke said:
Destruction of nature is bad of course, isn't it ? And the one big war you're talking about is already being made between two big religions which i am not happy about at all. I also know that wars will never end because it is the law of nature, but the topic "war" is really not that simple, it is very complex, and we are making "wrong wars" i think. We are dying for stupid reasons.

Well of course it is! The "big war" I'm speaking about isn't as cut & dried as just 2 religions. There are apparantly different interpretations of these religions. One side demands the utter destruction of the other group, and other just wants to get along. As long as the radical forces are opposing each other, we're going to have problems. And we're going to have more wars, or "actions". When hatred is taught to children, via parenting, or in school (or both) this just keeps the cycle going....

turke said:
I can also understand yout patriotism, we all love our countries, but i can't stop thinking that the last few years, USA really have gone too far on what they call "deffence", and started to act like they are the only living nation in the world, and started getting more and more isolated, making more and more enemies. That might be OK for you, but don't forget, you need hell to keep the heaven warm.

You're toeing the political line here. I'm ready to throw the mod gloves off (permanently, if necessary). It's not all about patriotism. Our country was attacked, we depended on our "allies" to help rid the planet of terrorist cancer(s) and are often left alone to deal with it. The UN is a joke, a flacid orginization, and I'd be more than happy to see the US withdraw their support. Watch it FOLD. I just censored myself, and am going to let the rest of this lie. We can carry on this particular topic outside the forum if you so desire.

J-Dubya