Official Off Topic Thread

Thats what i was saying about death metal, Silent. But then I heard Opeth and it all changed. But they're not death metal, so i checked out some real death metal bands. I downloaded Phobophile by Cryptopsy and just went !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:OMG::OMG::OMG:How the fuck can those guys play like that! The musicianship in alot of death metal bands is just incredible, easily shitting on alot of prog bands. the drummer in Crptopsy is the fastest and most technical i've ever heard. and the guitarist really shreds up as well. Don't judge death metal on the more popular ones like Cannible Corpse and shit, there's more to it.
I suggest you skip the melodic death metal and get into the good technical death metal bands; like
Cryptopsy
Nile (Mixing extreem speed and technicality with eeiry egyptian melodys and chants, this combination makes a lethaly brutal and heavy solution)
Death (Most up your alley, Silent. They sound more like a prog band than a death metal band on later albums with amazing musicianship)
Suffocation
Cynic (mixing jazz fusion with technical death, classic)
they're all the ones i know for now, but i'm new to the genre too.

Plese reply to this mesage coz it took me a while to write it!:D

i agree with shreddie that there is stuff worth listening to out there, but for those of us less musically inclined, the melodic death should not be overlooked. There is a lot to offer there in bands like Bodom, Arch Enemy, and others that i am way to friggin tired to think of right now. but then there is also non-technical death metal that is good too... bloodbath comes to mind featuring the awesome death growls of mikael akerfield of opeth.

ok i cannot find a THING on a band called "Death".. msn searches dont bring anything up, I dont even know what album names to stick into a p2p to find anything to dl.. help me out here?

And thankies for the reply shreddi.. I appreciate it. Actually 1 'death metal' or melodic death or whatever, that Chromelife showed me once was Borknagar.. i only heard one song, but the guys voice was not ur typical death screams, it was clean and sounded fine. And I dunno what category Opeth falls under but it is decent, specially the clean vocals like in the Damnation album.

www.emptywords.com the official death website. I have Sound of Persevearance and it's kickass!! It's super technical but manages to be melodic aswell! Awsomme shit. RIP Chuck, the genius will never be forgotten.

Borknagar kicks so much ass! personally, i believe empiricism is the single best album EVER... of course, since the vocalist Vintersorg is a god of both black metal and clean vocal styles, it makes it awesome. Though Borknagar isn't totally black metal... there's just some influences. Older stuff isn't as good because vortex's vocals aren't up to vintersorg's level (though the song colossus off of quintissence is just killer as all hell). i haven't heard the 2 albums before the archaic course, but they are more black metal apparently. If you like empiricism, check out visions from the spiral generator by Vintersorg!

As for death, check for individual songs. My personal favorite death song is Moment of Clarity.

Finally, i was listening to "With Fear I Kiss the Burning Darkness" yesterday which i bought used a few weeks ago with a bunch of other stuff, and i realized the kick assedness of the band. I need to get a copy of slaughter of the souls (i have it on vinyl and i have heard the songs, but i must have it now).

What about the haunted? Anyone like them? I love the haunted made me do it... classic thrash/death album.

Ok enough about death metal, check this out!

31365045.jpg

Ash is the man! For those who dont know who he is go rent Army of Darkness, it rules. Is there anything cooler than impaling zombies with a chainsaw, holding them up in the air and blasting their head off with a 12 gauge double barrel sawed off shotgun? You tell me, cause I cant think of anything at the moment.

hehe, it was only 16 bucks so I said why not. And the game isn't actually all that great, but they got Bruce Campbell to do the voices on his one-liners, and messing up some zombies is pretty fun. I'd say I definitely got my 16 dollars worth.

The Yngster said:
hehe, it was only 16 bucks so I said why not. And the game isn't actually all that great, but they got Bruce Campbell to do the voices on his one-liners, and messing up some zombies is pretty fun. I'd say I definitely got my 16 dollars worth.

Ah, well, 16 bucks for a game like that isn't too bad I guess if you're a fan of the movies anyway. I was thinkin you shelled out like, 50 bucks LOL.

As far as games go, I just got done playing Silent Hill 3. Wow, now THAT is a fucking cool game. The best in the series so far, definately. Some seriously scary moments in that game. I had to take a little break after finishing the hospital area to let my nerves settle a bit :p.

The Yngster said:
For those who dont know who he is go rent Army of Darkness, it rules. Is there anything cooler than impaling zombies with a chainsaw, holding them up in the air and blasting their head off with a 12 gauge double barrel sawed off shotgun? You tell me, cause I cant think of anything at the moment.

Yes there is, but i don't think I'll say it in this thread or it will be appropiatly closed. :tickled: