Official Off Topic Thread

Project Hate are awesome including the lyrics.

We are the salt in the eyes of Christ
We are the wound in his side
We are the blackest of the black
We are the four horsemen's glorious ride

Nothing better than satanic, apocalyptic death metal... with electronic beats!!!

The only people who could possibly still be angry at someone after 2007 years were probably molested as children.

My god, Kenneth's avatar isn't him anymore. Now how will i know if he still has his awesome Satanstache or not?

I also prefer concept/fantasy albums as well, but I don't think you can say Satanism is better in metal than Christianity, because you could take exactly the same music, and put opposite lyrics, and it wouldn't make any difference to how good the music sounded, and sure Satanism is probably more common than Christianity in metal, but a lot of the bands aren't really satanic, they just think it's cool to be portrayed as such... Many Christian metal bands at least are singing about what they actually believe in and practice in real life...

Eh, Christianity tends to get used more in metalcore. Not much Satanism in metalcore.

And you're right, a lot of bands sing about Satan and are not Satanists. Doesn't matter what they are to me as long as the music is good.

omg kenneth stop bitching! :)

I'm never gonna live that down huh.

Eh, Christianity tends to get used more in metalcore. Not much Satanism in metalcore.

And you're right, a lot of bands sing about Satan and are not Satanists. Doesn't matter what they are to me as long as the music is good.

You're right, a lot of Christian bands are Metalcore, but don't worry, I don't like Metalcore, regardless of the lyrics... It just sucks... It's the music for me as well, though if a band is blatantly singing against something I do believe in, or singing something outrightly offensive, then I'm sure I can find plenty of other bands with great music that don't... :)

My partner Kylie just brought me the tastiest (and hottest) home made chicken curry into work for my lunch...she's gonna get lucky tonight....but i fear my ass will not fare so well.

I'd prefer to hear about satan over the glory of god. Here's why (i don't care if no one else agrees, just explaining my reasoning)

Christian bands often sing about the glory of god and all this bullshit. Yea, like PMP said, it's them singing about their faith.

"Satanic" music is usually about horrible death, dying, power, and all kinds of evil shit. It's not preachy, and it's usually not about bowing down to satan. It's about "filled with the power of satan, weaklings bow down to me" type stuff. And as people pointed out, it's all ridiculous, which to me makes it better. It's badass, but i don't take it seriously.

Plus, i hate religion, so i can't stand "white" metal (fuckin' posers if you ask me).

You see, instead of hearing about just one, I'd rather hear about the story of Paradise Lost, and hear about how Satan declared War on God.

For example, the chorus of the best song ever written by any band ever:

Leave our souls in peace
and pray for us to die bravely, O lord I've sinned
Salvation, wisdom and Forgiveness,
I dedicate my death to implore your pardon,
I can't find my way, tracked down by my fate.

I'd prefer to hear about satan over the glory of god. Here's why (i don't care if no one else agrees, just explaining my reasoning)

Christian bands often sing about the glory of god and all this bullshit. Yea, like PMP said, it's them singing about their faith.

"Satanic" music is usually about horrible death, dying, power, and all kinds of evil shit. It's not preachy, and it's usually not about bowing down to satan. It's about "filled with the power of satan, weaklings bow down to me" type stuff. And as people pointed out, it's all ridiculous, which to me makes it better. It's badass, but i don't take it seriously.

Plus, i hate religion, so i can't stand "white" metal (fuckin' posers if you ask me).
the irony of that statement is that as you yourself won't deny, most 'satanic' bands literally ARE posers. i like to present it in two ways: 1. they take it seriously and are worshippers of satan. what's wrong with this? if they believe in the satan they're using the iconography and stories about, then they must necessarily also understand that they've chosen the losing side. not smart.
2. the posers. this is most of them. they either do it just cause it gets a rise out of people for shock value, or they're actually satanists - in the strict levayan sense - selfworshippers. in this case, they're just posers who i don't pity. their music stands for nothing at all, really.

understand too, by this i also am arguing that so-called christian bands who are just posers are equally foolish.

as for the br00tality of 'satanic' music, maybe you haven't heard of some of the more extreme bm bands that from a christian point of view write about the wrath of god and the wickedness of satan, and how he gets owned hardcore. i just don't see much support behind your view other than personal grudge, but then opinion is your choice of course

Nah, i'm speaking more from my experiance which is christian metalcore and power metal. It's abysmal. Christian thrash and black metal and death metal isn't bad. I know it's hypocritical, and i have no qualms about admitting it. Anything christian slanted turns me off immediately. Anything satanic (be it levayan or "evil red monster" satan, whatever...)... i guess it'd be appropriate to say it doesn't bother me, but doesn't attract me. I won't go out of my way for satanic metal.

Honestly, the stuff that gets me right now is anything introspective (not proggy introspective, more doom/depressive introspective) and anything having to do with more natural stuff (agalloch?). I got a cool translation of Ulver's "Bergtatt". Also, mythology is cool as well.

If people actually bothered to open up and read the bible, which aside from the fact that I believe it to be the word of God, it is actually full of some great stories, just as epic as any fantasy/concept albums. Many Christian Prog-metal bands use these for their lyrics instead of just straight praise music... They are also usually very introspective as the lyrics are very soul searching etc. Sure there are some really cheesy, poser christian bands as with any other genre, but give each band their own consideration and you might find that they're actually alright...

@ Zach, you should check out a band called 'Antithesis', they're really good, prog-thrash, Symphony X are their main influence, but without the keyboards, and their lyrics are of both fantasy and deep nature, just talking about political issues or their own personal struggles with life etc. not overly preachy...