Official Off Topic Thread

Faith+1 ftw :lol:

Don't ever leave me, Jesus. I couldn't stand to see you go.
My heart would simply snap, my Lord, if you walked on out that door.
I promise I'll be good to you, and keep you warm at night.
Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, why don't we just... shut off the lights.

If people actually bothered to open up and read the bible, which aside from the fact that I believe it to be the word of God, it is actually full of some great stories, just as epic as any fantasy/concept albums. Many Christian Prog-metal bands use these for their lyrics instead of just straight praise music... They are also usually very introspective as the lyrics are very soul searching etc. Sure there are some really cheesy, poser christian bands as with any other genre, but give each band their own consideration and you might find that they're actually alright...

@ Zach, you should check out a band called 'Antithesis', they're really good, prog-thrash, Symphony X are their main influence, but without the keyboards, and their lyrics are of both fantasy and deep nature, just talking about political issues or their own personal struggles with life etc. not overly preachy...

King Diamond had a good quote (he's "Satanic", but more Levayan from what i understand... self power and all that). He said something to the effect of "The bible is fantastic. It's a great guide and has great stories to base your life on from a moral standpoint, but that's all they are. It's a book of stories". To me, that's the best way i can look at it.

Without getting into a religious discussion, I can say that I don't like much having to do with religion, but I still consider myself to be a somewhat moral person (taking into account, of course, that what is moral and what isn't is completely subjective). At any rate, like i said, i have no will to seek out any sort of christian music. Just knowing it's christian music turns me off and i can't get into it. That's just me. Plus (unlike most people here), i'm not into prog, symphony x sounding stuff. I hate adagio and circus maximus, both are pretty much symx rip-offs from what i've heard.

Point really is this: With music, i look for something with a deeper meaning to me. The stuff i mentioned before (gloomy doomy, etc.) does that for me right now. Epic fantasy does not, nor does christianity. satanic stuff doesn't bother me, though every now and then it has some cool, badass lyrics.

And don't take this as a lack of appreciation, but i promise you that i've checked out a good portion of stuff in my time. I've been actively seeking out new bands for 6 to 7 years (doesn't seem like htat long i know) and have heard quite a bit. At this point i would venture to say that i've got a strong grasp of what's going to go with me and what's not.

Again, i hope this doesn't come off as uppity or asshole-ish or unappreciative, it isn't meant to.

@ Zach, you should check out a band called 'Antithesis', they're really good, prog-thrash, Symphony X are their main influence, but without the keyboards, and their lyrics are of both fantasy and deep nature, just talking about political issues or their own personal struggles with life etc. not overly preachy...
Antithesis fucking SLAYS! I saw them open up for SX, then for Yngwie. I ran into a few of them at the Metal Church show in Cleveland not too long ago, too. Their new album's due out soon. And their new vocalist fucking wails. Also, his wife used to be a SX forum regular.

But... they're not really a Christian band. A few songs had somewhat Christian themes, but that's as far as it goes.

zach, morality is a truth isn't it? for you, for example, you consider an existing moral right and moral wrong. you can't change for yourself what is morally right and what is morally wrong, or there would be no point in even considering morality to begin with. it's a set of guidelines describing the way things "should be" vs the way they "shouldn't be".

however, subjective truth does not exist. if i say something is defintely true, even just for me, then it can't be subjective, because i said it must be true. if you believe in morality even just in your own sense of it, then it must be true for everyone that morality either exists or it does not.

relativism is a self-defeating thing. absolute truths do exist, even if we do not know them or disagree about them. so i would argue that no, morality is not subjective. we could of course debate what morality IS, but it either does exist for everyone or does not exist at all. only opinions are subjective, and opinions are never equal to truth. they're only pieces of it.

It's a book of stories".

Hmm, I wouldn't necessarily say that. Sure, most of it is comprised of jesus lore but there are a lot of others things too.

At any rate, like i said, i have no will to seek out any sort of christian music. Just knowing it's christian music turns me off and i can't get into it. That's just me. Plus (unlike most people here), i'm not into prog, symphony x sounding stuff. I hate adagio and circus maximus, both are pretty much symx rip-offs from what i've heard.

Agreed/disagreed. Christian lyrics are my least favorite type because I look to metal to be dark, aggressive, powerful, evil, etc...Christianity doesn't work me here. I get that at church. However I still enjoy prog, and I like Circus Maximus okay.

I love fantasy lyrics like Bal-Sagoth's. They created a whole epic story revolving on how everything we've been taught on the nature of creation is a lie. I enjoy fantasy with meaning.

Close, but not quite.

There's a good chance I might be openng for him though on July 12. I'm not entirely sure yet though. I'm on the edge of my seat though for an answer.

Antithesis fucking SLAYS! I saw them open up for SX, then for Yngwie. I ran into a few of them at the Metal Church show in Cleveland not too long ago, too. Their new album's due out soon. And their new vocalist fucking wails. Also, his wife used to be a SX forum regular.

But... they're not really a Christian band. A few songs had somewhat Christian themes, but that's as far as it goes.

Nice to see them recognized here..they're friends of mine. :)

Wish they'd finish up the new cd already!

"Satanic" music is usually about horrible death, dying, power, and all kinds of evil shit. It's not preachy, and it's usually not about bowing down to satan.
It's not? Then explain your "example" line...sounds like it states to pretty explicitly "bow down" to "the power of satan"...
DoomsdayZach said:
It's about "filled with the power of satan, weaklings bow down to me" type stuff. And as people pointed out, it's all ridiculous, which to me makes it better. It's badass, but i don't take it seriously.

Plus, i hate religion, so i can't stand "white" metal (fuckin' posers if you ask me).
talk about posers..."Satanists" are pretty well posers as well...