Official Off Topic Thread

Late as always, but seconded here too.
Losing friends at a young age (or an old age) sucks.
My condolences as well... :(

Thanks, it does suck. Especially with all the news coming out of Texas Tech (our alma mater).

Vick 'em! :heh:

We would have had a field day with that. My boss brought it to my attention this morning, and I had no idea about it. I would have heard it a couple days ago from Brent though. :cry: I want my friend back.

Most productive thing i've done today:

cheesehouse.jpg

Easy Cheese and Wheat Thins kick ass.

Edit: Interesting side note. I got this medicated heating pad thing to put on my neck that seems to be helping a bit, but it smells like that medicine smell which i have realized smells exactly like those little candy hearts you get at valentines day, specifically the pink ones. Or pepto bismol.

I just set that as the background on the computer for my school library. I should try to set it for the whole mainframe for the school. :lol:

Speaking of epic background pictures, I just realized; for anyone who has the pic of Matt Moliti feeding Ken from the night of the epic Sym X show meetup, I need that back for my computer.

I guylove you so much right now, it's not even funny how amazing it's gonna be seeing Matt Moliti and Ken on the backgrounds of all the computers. :lol:
desktop-1.jpg

I totally just took a pretty hardcore power-nap. One minute it was about 7, the next the I know it was about 11. I somehow acheived the effects of time travel face bag but WITHOUT the bag...traveling through time at the speed of regular time.

Got my audition lined up today for Carnival Cruises. If the audition (next month) goes favorably, then I'll either spend this summer or next fall/spring at sea playing guitar all day for some pretty decent money. It'd be nice because it'd give me a slight break from school while also catching me up (and then some) with my student loans. Not to mention my "job" would be playing music on cruise ships traveling the world...something I could surely deal with. Worst case scenario is I don't get the gig this time, keep going to school and try again next year, or next semester even. It's not something I'm shooting for as a career, but I'd love to do it for a little while since I'd be able to put basically everything I make towards repaying my student loans, so I could get totaly debt free in about a year and have a hell of a time in the process.

I totally just took a pretty hardcore power-nap. One minute it was about 7, the next the I know it was about 11. I somehow acheived the effects of time travel face bag but WITHOUT the bag...traveling through time at the speed of regular time.

Hah, so did I actually... but from about 6 to 10. It was pretty much Pwnage. I think all that street fighter wore me out.

Got my audition lined up today for Carnival Cruises. If the audition (next month) goes favorably, then I'll either spend this summer or next fall/spring at sea playing guitar all day for some pretty decent money. It'd be nice because it'd give me a slight break from school while also catching me up (and then some) with my student loans. Not to mention my "job" would be playing music on cruise ships traveling the world...something I could surely deal with. Worst case scenario is I don't get the gig this time, keep going to school and try again next year, or next semester even. It's not something I'm shooting for as a career, but I'd love to do it for a little while since I'd be able to put basically everything I make towards repaying my student loans, so I could get totaly debt free in about a year and have a hell of a time in the process.

That sounds fucking wicked. Best of luck to you man! :headbang:

Sweet! My friend interviewed with them last year for a position as a third mate. In the shipping industry from an officer standpoint, working on a cruise ship sucks because they pay the least amount of money. In your case it seems like a pretty cool gig. From what I remember (I could be wrong, I'm talking about officers) the runs are 4 months on, 2 months off or 3 on/3 off. Not too sure about the perks, but I think one is that friends and family can go on cruises for $10 a day or something. Anyway, good luck!

Sounds great man, good luck with that!

God damn, that's one awesome gig. Good luck, man!

And here I am doing this stupid pay-to-play shit.:mad:

Edit: So yeah, first LA show is tonight at the Whisky. I think we rehearsed enough, but our singer hasn't sang for like a month besides rehearsals. Wish us luck! :lol:

thanks for the well-wishes everybody!:)

Sweet! My friend interviewed with them last year for a position as a third mate. In the shipping industry from an officer standpoint, working on a cruise ship sucks because they pay the least amount of money. In your case it seems like a pretty cool gig. From what I remember (I could be wrong, I'm talking about officers) the runs are 4 months on, 2 months off or 3 on/3 off. Not too sure about the perks, but I think one is that friends and family can go on cruises for $10 a day or something. Anyway, good luck!

Yep, that's basically it. I talked to one of their people back in April and he told me the basic contract would be 4 months. I don't remember exactly how much of that time I'd be obligated to be on-ship, but I know it's not necessarily the full 4 months and I would get to choose my schedule (to an extent) so long as I fulfill the minimum time required for me to be on the boat(s). He said there were other contracts availabe but that the 4 month one is pretty standard. He said the benefits, as far as getting people dicount rates, are dependant on the terms of the contract and that most people (at least for the gig I'm going for) don't get that benefit until they have been working with carnival a little bit longer. That'd be great too, as I missed my best friend's wedding over the summer and still owe them a wedding gift. Coincidently, my dad is retiring from the Air Force in february and it'd be great to be able to do something like that for my parents. Either way, I'm really not investing too much thought in the business side of it or into whether or not I'll be getting discount cruise tickets just yet....I figure it'd help to have the gig first:lol:

@ Jax: Congrats! You'll have to come up with a clever name so you don't have to go by "grandma". My dad's dad makes us cal him "G.P" because he was only 40 when I was born.

Thanks! We'll see if he comes up with anything cute to call me..right now I just call myself Gramma Jax. :)

I told my daughter that one upside of her having a baby now is that she waited until I was 40+..a 30-something grandma is just WAY too young *nod*.

ABQShredHead said:
Congratulations to you and your daughter, Jax. That's awesome.

Thanks! :D

Eternal Dragon said:
I agree. Far too young ;).

I've always wanted grandkids. I think it would be better than kids because you could see them then bugger off when they get annoying.

grats btw.

Thanks! Yeah, I have to say, it IS pretty cool to be able to hand him off when his diaper's dirty or the like..hehe :)