Official Off Topic Thread

RIP Lucky Dube. Most of you won't know who he is. In the world of reggae, this guy was second only to Bob Marley. He was shot today while three men tried to hijack his car. He managed to get back in the car, and drive it away, but crashed into a tree due to his conditon. Lucky was dropping his kids off at school, who remain unharmed. What a shame, at least music lives on... Check out his albums "House of Exile" and "Taxman".

zach, you can only have my number if you promise not to call me at odd hours of the morning to leave me sexy voice mails....wait...or was it the opposite....I'm so confused

So the cops came today to put an end to my neighbors' bullshit. It got bad last night...to the point where I threw some clothes on and was waiting/listening by the door to run across the hall and kick some ass in order to prevent a full on Ike and Tina event. She finally kicked him out and after banging on the door for about 10 minutes he left. I was avoiding calling the cops in hopes that she would do it herself. This afternoon, he came banging on her door and tried to force his way in...just as I was grabbing my phone I heard the cops coming down the hallway. I'm still definitely going to complain to management tomorrow though...I really shouldn't have to live with that shit going on across the hall. The LEAST they could do is have their domestic violence during the day when I'm not trying to sleep...

zach, you can only have my number if you promise not to call me at odd hours of the morning to leave me sexy voice mails....wait...or was it the opposite....I'm so confused

So the cops came today to put an end to my neighbors' bullshit. It got bad last night...to the point where I threw some clothes on and was waiting/listening by the door to run across the hall and kick some ass in order to prevent a full on Ike and Tina event. She finally kicked him out and after banging on the door for about 10 minutes he left. I was avoiding calling the cops in hopes that she would do it herself. This afternoon, he came banging on her door and tried to force his way in...just as I was grabbing my phone I heard the cops coming down the hallway. I'm still definitely going to complain to management tomorrow though...I really shouldn't have to live with that shit going on across the hall. The LEAST they could do is have their domestic violence during the day when I'm not trying to sleep...

At least the cops are onto it now...

Geezus Meedley - makes me wonder why the hell do people stay together in situations where they clearly don't love and respect each other..

no kidding...it blows my mind. As much of a dirtbag as the guy is for the way he treats her, I have a REALLY hard time not holding here almost equally responsible for allowing it to happen/keep happening. Obviously there's the possibility of extenuating circumstances, but (and you said it best)....geezus

my copy of Andrew York's "denoument" finally showed up today (no more listening to pirate mp3's...yay). And I highly reccomend it to anyone who's into classical/fingerstyle guitar....or just anybody looking for something mellow to listen to chillax from the metal for an hour. He's got a short essay in the booklet that I really like, so I shall share it:

"We live in a highly technological time, and this has given us many gifts; one of which is the ability to record music and disseminate it widely. in our homes we have the opportunity, at the touch of a switch, to hear more music in a month than our ancestors would have heard in their lifetimes. The negative side to this is that many of us have become very jaded. There is so much music and information bombarding ust hat it is easy to become numb. it's inescapable; there are few places where we are not subjected to music whether we wish to be or not. But think how it musc have been for a European in the seventeenth century, if by chance he should find himself in the rare position to encounter an ensemble of performing court musicians He has never before heard such music; and as he draws nearer to listen, the beauty and the architecture of the music seem truly divine. What brilliance of tone! What intricacies of rhythm and melody! The incredible complexity, but how harmoniously it all fits together. The music moces him deeply-perhaps even changes his life. Chances are that he will never hear such music performed again in his lifetime, and the memory of it will stay with him forever as magical and profound. But in our time, we have lost the perceptionof music as profound, many people probably can't imagine such a response to art. This is the price we pay for the musical accessibility of today; the power and uniqueness of music is diminished.

I like to think that with effort we can crack the perceptive barriers built up by musical unundation and unseal our ears and perceive freshly, like a child, the magic that is still living in music. If there is anything I would ask of the listener, it is to make the effort on fresh ears, and listen as if you've never heard such sounds before. It is my hope that you will be thus rewarded."

-Andrew York, November/1993

There's another paragraph that goes before those ones, but these two get the point across.

If the guy's abusing her, leaving him may be easier said than done. I was in a 3 year abusive relationship in the 90s & I spent half of that time trying to get away from the guy..trust me, it's not as easy as it may appear.

It seems to me it's as easy as notifying the cops and getting a restraining order, and if he persists, get him thrown in jail.

Were he will stay for only a few years at the most and come out even more pissed off. I worked with a guy who had to deal with this when he was a kid and, in his case and a few of the ones I have heard about before, bringing the law into it just adds to the fire. In one instance, it was my friends mom that would beat the shit out of his dad.

Yeah...I understand there can be extenuating circumstances in certain situations, but I still feel that the other half of the relationship (at least in this case) needs to at least ATTEMPT to do something about it. From everything I can tell, she certainly isn't. That being said...something really needs to be done in terms of a third party (cops) stepping in. I'm friends with the girl who works the office in my building so I went down and told her about the bullshit all weekend. Turns out it's actually HIS apartment and, by his lease agreement, she's not even allowed to live there. At any rate, they're evicting him both for letting her live there and for all the domestic issues, noise complaints, and cop calls. I just hope more shit doesn't break out between now and him getting the boot. It's just such a depressing situation overall (the fact that this shit goes on at all...don't think for a second that I feel the least bit of sympathy for him)

In other news, I literally started drooling a little bit towards the end of my practicing tonight, so I think it's time to stop and just assume that I'm ready for my midterms tomorrow.

Haven't posted here in a while.. Just letting you know I'm still alive and shit seems to be going great. I landed a new job as a baker :)lol:) with kickass hours and I now have two students who learn from me in the ways of guitar playing. Win.