Official Off Topic Thread

Canberra misses out again:lol:Does anyone actually live there!!!:rolleyes:

I think Tali does...

Rumor has it that the "Evening with..." Oz shows will include DT doing the entire George Michael "Faith" cd...

Just remember, you heard it here first!

They only cover an album if they have two nights in the same city, and they're only 1 night in each city on this tour, but thanks anyway...
:heh:

good luck with those dude, let us now how they go:)

I've got:

Nov. 26th- Filling in for a guitar player in another ensemble....I'll make it to the rehearsal beforehand but I'll essentially just be reading everything

Nov. 30th- recording session (not too sure on the status of this yet)

Dec. 11th- Classical Guitar Ensemble performance (4 quartet pieces, 1 trio, 1 duet...I play on each)

Dec. 13th- Recital

Dec. 15th-20th- Conservatory gig on one of those days. My classical guitar quartet is playing and then I (and probably one or two other members) will play a few solo pieces to fill out the set

and I'm seeing if I can get my sophomore jury out of the way before the end of the semester instead of waiting for next (because it lets me do my Junior Recital sooner in the long run)

Luckily I got that Carnival Audition (hilariously sad story) out of the way and can focus on all this stuff.

Not only that today's music sucks, but nothing from Gen X or Gen Y bands has held up to the test of time like a Baby Boomer band such as Zep. It's one thing to write a catchy tune, but what has been memorable over the last 25 years? It speaks to the overall disposability of post-Boomer generations.

I don't know if you can take it that far but in many ways I agree. DT's recent output is horrible. I discovered them right after 6 degrees came out. A year later ToT came out and it was perfectly comparable to a big "Fuck You!!". Each successive release has been worse.

No i haven't. I need to either get up there or hit up the one in seattle. My band is excited about the place though.

Yes, i don't think it got mentioned... Mr. ABQ himself was up in my area on business so we met up for (what else?) a few beers at a place called the Taphouse Grill which has 160 beers on tap. Fucking incredible selection, and only a few shit ones. Seriously, who's going to go there and get a bud light?

Man, this Saturday I'm going to a show up in Seattle, maybe i'll have to rally some troops to hit this up during some shit bands. It's quite a ways away from the venue, but totally worth the cab fare if split between a number of people. Too bad i've got to save my money or else i'd go fucking nuts there and just spend the entire day at the bar :lol:

classic.png
Wow, I should've been more attentive to the forum recently.

1.) Yes, Zeppelin rules so hard.
2.) Jax!! Do you read XKCD?

Canberra misses out againDoes anyone actually live there!!!

I think Tali does...

Yes i do.....maybe not for much longer though.

J-Dub wrote
Rumor has it that the "Evening with..." Oz shows will include DT doing the entire George Michael "Faith" cd...

That is the clincher for me.....i just hope Portnoy takes on lead vocal duties for "I Want Your Sex"

Alrighty then... J Dub knows the title of a George Michael CD..... [look around and ponders the implications]... [stops for a moment and remembers in my wifes collection there is an old Wham CD]........ hey J Dub want me to wrap it up and mail it to you for Christmas ?

It's basically suggesting that current music sucks when compared to older stuff like Led Zeppelin. I thought it was funny.

thats what it appeared to be saying, but then the print for the lyrics got really small at the end and I figured there was more to it.... plus this old, once die hard LZ fan is not in agreement with the statement.
-----------------------------------------------

To many people seem too easily dismissive of 80's, 90's, and 00's music. It doesnt stand out as much because the field is flooded with choice and so many similar bands. Its harder for later music to seem as magical or "romanticised" as it was for the pioneers, when they stood out so much as being different. But I have found standouts in all the decades and many of the genres Im willing to listen to. For example I will put Images and Words up against any and all LZ recordings or any other band for that matter. I should say right now that from 1970 to at least 1974 or 75 I was a serious die hard LZ fan and very few albums got a chance to be spun between my LZ albums. today I rarely listen to them, I dont need to because I can still hear them in my mind if I want... which is rare too. Actually seeing "the Song Remains the Same" put a dent in my enthousiasm along with discovering jazz & fusion.

I think the later generations have done a kick ass job of bringing great music to the table. [they just need to work on that singing part..... :zombie:] :lol: