Official Off Topic Thread

Now this suprises me ??? maybe "pales" is an exageration ? Im wondering what I&W lacks in substance compared to young Zep ? If you could possibly put it in words. I & W was probably the most excited I was about any recording since LZ IV as far as the "rock" genre goes.
The fact that you even care about other people having opinions shows just how much you fail. And it also makes you a Communist! When you care about bullshit, you're supporting Communism.

I was being sarcastic. Becoming popular doesn't mean a band is lame. It means fans are lame.

Yeah I know, that's what I meant, Dream Theater are getting so popular that they're also getting a lot of lame 'sheep' fans, who also love Dragonforce and reckon that Herman Li is the best guitarist along with John Petrucci, and that Mike Portnoy is an awesome at everything, including Jazz... :rolleyes:

Or the people who just don't get that Dream Theater's not about good songwriting so much as they are about "LOOK HOW GOOD OF A MUSICIAN I AM GAIZ". But the people like that that I know are all a girl who's pretty hot, so it's all cool for me I guess.

Or every other thread that DT came up in.

On another note, I got Assassin's Creed today for Xbox 360, and it's just BRILLIANT

How'd the thing go?

@ Harris- That game looks sweet as fuck, but I don't own a 360 nor do I have any intention of owning one in the future. I'm going to try to get a roomate and make that a requirement. How is it?

I just went to see who it was who made the DT thread....yep genius :lol:

This game is AMAZING. Nothing kills time better than running around killing evil Crusaders in the most brutal manner possible with an unbelievably simple, yet extremely detailed control system that's nothing short of being "The Shit."
In other words, if a video game could win almost as much as Epic MSN Chats, then this would win that much.
And in even more words, not even Halo made an 11 out of 10 for me. I've never actually enjoyed a game this much since my RPG days.

Epic MSN chances.....I've yet to participate despite multiple invites. One day...That's sweet about the game.

As long as we're telling awesome stories, I had that audition with Carnival Cruiselines last Thursday. Luckily this was only a test-run of sorts...I wasn't gunning for the job but I wanted to see what their audition process was like. It was pretty brutal:lol:. Without sounding arrogant, let me preface this by saying that I'm a really solid sight-reader (though, as with anything else, not as good as I'd like to be). It's gotten me some good gigs and it's something that definitely gives me a head's up on 99.9% of guitar players (mainly because 99% of guitar readers just don't read music). Since the audition was 90% reading I thought I'd be fine. So I sit down then turn around to adjust the EQ on my amp, then turned back around to find a poorly printed chart for "some skunk funk" (brecker brothers...I think Randy wrote it) and a count off as soon as he saw my eyes hit the page. Not too bad....or at least it wouldn't have been if there weren't 3 note voicings on each melody note. Here's the tune btw (posted both for demonstrative purposes and awesomeness purposes):

:erk:

awesome fucking song though. The rest of the audition went ok, despite that putting me noticeably on edge. He gave me his card...I'm sure I didn't get the gig (probably would've gotten a call by now anyway) but no worries. He's holding an audition spot for me for when they come back in the spring. He said they'd be audition solo/lounge acts too, so I'll probably do a double audition (for both their show band and to play some solo sets)

Last edited by a moderator:
The fact that you even care about other people having opinions shows just how much you fail. And it also makes you a Communist! When you care about bullshit, you're supporting Communism.

Dude you draw conclusions way to easily and show a lack of depth for understanding someones point. Thats twice now, its not me thats "failing"
---------------------------------------

Im not even talking about Dream Theater here, everyone else is. We were talking about new music compared to the pioneers. I simply mentioned one album that excited me and it happened to be by DT and that particular point in time most likely predates most posters musical awareness. Maybe thats why no one is understanding......... :rolleyes:
---------------------------------------

Okay, well I'm going to start off by saying that I&W is my favorite DT album, and one of my favorite albums ever... but from your post, I'm getting the following points:
1.) Led Zeppelin got less cool when everyone realized how badass they were, and "sheep" liked them so they weren't underground anymore.
2.) You think there were only two good songs on IV. Ouch.
3.) Your opinion is more enlightened than "the sheep" because you like Metropolis better than Stairway, and Rush more than Zep.
4.) At least you admit to being a prog snob.

Man... Zeppelin's becoming HUGELY popular doesn't make them bad. It's not like they sold out. Achilles Last Stand isn't exactly radio friendly.

No you missed my point. First my question of being suprised was simply about you having said... I think it was "pales in comparision" when I knew you were also not one of the DT haters. So yea it suprised me and I was just hoping for some insite, but I know these things are hard to explain and stated that. No attack or animosity going on at all. Just curious. (also answers whatever Horus's problem is) but to respond to your 1 -4.

1. No, I had simply already over listened to the material on I thru IV and then FM radio play just killed them and is still to this day, so were looking at roughly 35 years of over playing. The point was that LZ is more user friendly than the more radical nature of I & W with changing time signatures and radical change ups, ect. so the sheep can tap their toes, sing along and not get out of time. This is where the "popularity" thing fits in. I still love Led Zeppelin and part of me will always be that young kid that worshipped them.

2. Yea, RnR was alright but grew old quickly. Misty Mountain Hop, Going to California, Four Sticks ? Ok, but I usually skipped them. Like I said I wanted more in the vain of II. I still have my Houses of the Holy vinyl and that got played to death too. I also still have origional Presence vinyl and played the hell out of that. Never purchased PG and have no explaination. My buddy had it so I didnt need to buy it, I guess.

3. Yes I believe my musical opinion is more advanced than the sheep, if it werent I'd be listening to Wham with J Dub..... :heh:. No, I do not choose favorites between Stairway & Metropolis, nor Zep and Rush, they all just blew me away so I feel I can make the comparison of holding them up side by side and give one of these......... :headbang:

4. Yes I am a snob when it comes to my music and damn proud of it... but sometimes I am sleepy eyed like the sheep and listen to FM radio..... and enjoy it.
--------------------------------------

If you guys keep riding me like a cheap whore everytime I ask a question or make a statement........ "I'm never gonna dance again, guilty feet aint got no rythmn" :lol:

failure my ass, always a test is it ? :err:

I did have to go look....don't hate

:lol: It's cool, I still love you... ;)

Cool story as well from your audition...

I can read music, so I've got that over a lot of guitarists as well, but I wouldn't say I'm very good at sight reading, really needs more work before I can do it fluently, but yeah being able to read music at all is a good start...

Now that I'm finished my Classical course, I'm taking next year off to get some jazz / fusion chops, and then hopefully I'll be able to get into the Jazz course the year after...