Official Off Topic Thread

Seems you took that out of context to me but OK, whatever, nothing has changed, its all good positive stuff, easily dealt with and will never bring any ill effect as it further intensifies.

My kids are extremely extroverted, actually. They sometimes worry their parents because they will go up and talk to just about anybody. But, my wife is like that as well, and it's easy to see where the kids get it from. I think extroversion is something worth cultivating, but that's simply because I'm quite on the other side of the scale.

Steve, I didn't mean to infer anything about the political motivations of the Vietnam War. I simply commented on the generational differences between the politicians at the time (read: GI generation) and the people doing the warring (read: Boomer generation).

And, yes, Zach - outside to play ball was the best. Growing up an Air Force brat, I always had other kids around. We used to have some of the most awesome football games. But, in this day and age, it is difficult to even do that.

I don't think I'd be in as positive a position as I'm in now if I had had a stay-at-home mom. Having to learn self-sufficiency and co-operation with my two older sisters allowed me to pick things up early on. Having to try to figure things out on my own taught me how to think for myself. I didn't have people to hold my hand the whole way and force me to see only their view of things. But, even when my dad was home, he always tried to get me to figure out an answer without being expressly told. He'd present me with evidence and guide me in drawing my own conclusions. My mom, when she wasn't working or attending college, always tried to force me to see her way of things. She still does. She not as logic or practical as my dad and I'm glad I had the opportunity to develop those skills. She did help me become more creative though. When she was around on weekends, we did crafts and often improvised the materials. I'm thankful for the parenting I had. The general consensus is that I've turned out well, so I don't think I suffered at all by having a working mom. In fact, because of the fact that both she and my dad work, I'm going to college and won't have to go into debt up to my ears just to get en education.

Imagine being a parent, driving down the road with the radio on and hearing a song come on that you think might be pretty cool and finding out its message is parents need to get out of the way......... WTF ?
Yeah, this is where I got the "anti-establishment music" thing. If Alice Cooper's lyrics aren't disillusioned-teen, "adult's don't understand," kind of rebelliousness, I don't know what is. A big part of rock back in the day was, "It's cool because your parents hate it." Sabbath had the satanism thing, some of the bands had the glorification of drugs, some had that anti-authoritarian vibe. And even if it wasn't directly present in the lyrics, the attitude was always there.

So yeah, what I'm saying is the fact that the media telling kids that their parents just don't understand... it's nothing new. That's all I meant by that, and I guess it doesn't really play into the major argument (which I've majorly lost track of, to be honest, haha).

It got me thinking last night that I need to get Love it to Death and Schools Out again. I havent heard them in decades, seems I was into Love it to Death quite a bit but Killer was the stuff. That band wasnt highy skilled but damn they wrote some good music, never into Cooper after the origional line up split.

It got me thinking last night that I need to get Love it to Death and Schools Out again. I havent heard them in decades, seems I was into Love it to Death quite a bit but Killer was the stuff. That band wasnt highy skilled but damn they wrote some good music, never into Cooper after the origional line up split.
That stuff's just classic. So underrated.

Yep, when do you ever hear any mention of Buxton, Bruce and Dunaway, those guys were creative and had a huge impact on future music. Any metalhead or progger that doesnt have Halo of Flies is missing one amazing piece of music. Though it would seem less stunning today than the first listen in '72. I cant find any clips of the origional band so this will have to suffice, its a little lacking in impact and sound. I felt Alice lost his voice way back in the 70's too. Seems all you hear is "Black Sabbath made metal", I say "yeah whatever", there were alot of bands with their hands in it, if this isnt early epic metal I honestly dont know what is.

Last edited by a moderator:
New Heaven and Hell came out last yesterday. I'm quite disappointed as I expected it to be amazing but it wasn't nearly as good as it should have been. With them releasing Shadow of the Wind a few years ago (which RULED) and Bible Black as the single, it kind of set a standard that they couldn't keep up. A few good songs, a lot of bad-ass riffs, a lot of bad lyrics, and just overall lackluster. If it were any other band, i'd say this would be a solid 8/10, but this is Tony Iommy, Geezer Butler and fuckin' Dio (Vinnie Appice is a good drummer, but it's not like they have goddamn Cozy Powell on this or anything). They can do better. 6/10.

I listened to it when they streamed it online... It's okay. Dio obviously shines the whole time. There's a few riffs. I was pretty disappointed in the lack of killer bass lines.

There were a lot of things that should have been better on Dio's end too. That chorus for Double the Pain just goes nowhere and it really should.

On the other hand, Breaking Into Heaven was pretty much as sweet as the title says it should be. Atom and Evil was also a really killer song, but maybe not the way to start off the disc.

And I listened to the title track while HAMMERED last night for $1. Thank you bars with internet jukeboxes.

That album rules. I wish Vivian Campbell was still that badass.

Hell yes! Vivian Campbell was a stud with Dio. What the hell happened to him? Too much Thompson Twins, I guess.

On a related note, was anybody on here a fan of Ian Moore when he first hit the scene back in the early '90's? I looked him up on YouTube - that guy needs to get off the pot and back on the rock'n'roll. What a waste he turned into. I saw him live back in ~'94 and he ripped my head off. Now, I don't even know what to call that crap he's "playing".

Did anyone get to see Heaven and Hell (basically, late 80's Sabbath line-up) when they toured last year? Dunno if they went to the states. Dio was immense - a hell of a pair of lungs, and the guy can still belt it out. It was another dream realised for me because when I saw Sabbath in the 90's Tony Martin was on vocals. Dio kicks ass! :headbang: