Official Off Topic Thread

Jax said:
They have them in the DC area as well, so it's not just a southern thing (though some do believe DC to be part of the 'south', which I always found quite amusing).

No kidding. Fairfax County (the DC suburbs in Virginia) should secede from the rest of the state. There is nothing southern about it. DC sure isn't.

Jax said:
:lol:

Nope, no broken mirrors, though I did get cussed out by a drunk at a corner store earlier that night, which still makes me laugh to remember it 9 years later.

Was he one of those New York bums that always says random God stuff, like "God is a golf club!!!" Or other aimless rabble? Because that could explain it.:lol:

Jax said:
The one time I remember having NY pizza (I was born in Staten Island & lived on Long Island til I was 5, but have no memories of having pizza back then, so I can only go by the visit I had to Manhattan about 9 years ago), it sucked arse. It needed about 2x more cheese, & the sauce was bitter..blech.

NOTHING beats the pizza in Chicago. I was looking forward to NY pizza, and was very disappointed. We had it 3 times over 2 days, all from different places. Nothing compares to Gino's East, Lou Malnatti's, Home Run Inn, * Connies.......

J-Dubya

The Metal Chick said:
Another place that's truly Chicago and kicks everyone's ass is Portillo's. Best. Hot Dogs. Ever. Went there today and thought of this thread..heh.

Their Italian Beef is tops. I order a big Beef, lg fries & a large shake, and I don't have to eat for 2 days. They are pricey, but well worth it, IMO.....:Spin:

J-Dubya

J-Dubya 777 said:
Their Italian Beef is tops. I order a big Beef, lg fries & a large shake, and I don't have to eat for 2 days. They are pricey, but well worth it, IMO.....:Spin:

J-Dubya

Oh yeah, Portillo's is great! I'll have to make sure to eat there at least once when I fly home to Chicago tomorrow. :)

Oh yeah. Thats right, with the Transit strike. And you live in the city also, so that must really suck!

Beelzebub said:
Transit strikes SUCK.

Man...you'd think that kind of strike would be illegal considering it's shutting down the country's largest city...at the very least, it shows how selfish the union is that they would play with millions of people like this.

I was pretty lucky. I live about 1/2 mile from the nearest railroad station, so I took that to work. The station I was dropped off at was 3/4 mile away from my job, so the walking I had to do was trivial. My job reimbursed me so I basically got a free ride today. I commuted during off-peak hours so I didn't experience the mob scenes that were depicted on TV. However, that didn't make my trip any less of a royal pain in the ass.

My father works for the MTA, but he's a supervisor, so he didn't go on strike. I guess the situation is analogous to how the principal doesn't picket when there's a teacher strike because they're administration. He really doesn't have any "inside information" and the information he tells me he gets from the news. What the union is doing is illegal, and it's not condoned by the international Transport Workers' Union. It's supposed to go on until at least Thursday.

Rose Immortal said:
Man...you'd think that kind of strike would be illegal considering it's shutting down the country's largest city...at the very least, it shows how selfish the union is that they would play with millions of people like this.

Technically it is illegal.

Last time this happened was during Reagan's administration. The original fines were waived as part of the agreement to come back to work.

Soul of Ice said:
Technically it is illegal.

Last time this happened was during Reagan's administration. The original fines were waived as part of the agreement to come back to work.

Maybe this time the fines shouldn't be waived, since they didn't get it the first time.

Rose Immortal said:
Maybe this time the fines shouldn't be waived, since they didn't get it the first time.

I don't know ALL the details with this strike, but it's not like they didn't have any warning this might happen. I wish I was unionized, at least you have somebody fighting for you most of the time (in most unions). Has anybody noticed the price of everything just gets higher & higher, while wages remain the same? I remember back when we used to get a cost of living pay increase every year, along with our annual reviews (which were a lot more than the 2-3% most places offer now) . I know there's 2 sides to every story, but perhaps this strike is the only way to get the negotiators to play ball.

J-Dubya - Would LOVE to have public transportation available to me...

Prog Maiden said:
Oh yeah, Portillo's is great! I'll have to make sure to eat there at least once when I fly home to Chicago tomorrow. :)

Home for the holidays huh? I NEED a dose of 'Tillos BAAAAAAAAAD!!!!!
Beats the hell out of eating rice cakes as a poor college student! :Spin:

J-Dubya

J-Dubya 777 said:
Home for the holidays huh? I NEED a dose of 'Tillos BAAAAAAAAAD!!!!!
Beats the hell out of eating rice cakes as a poor college student! :Spin:

J-Dubya

Yeah, I just flew in yesterday afternoon. And I had Portillo's for lunch today. Yum. :D

And I would never settle for rice cakes! I'm all about the pizza and cheeseburgers and anything generally unhealthy. :p

Prog Maiden said:
Yeah, I just flew in yesterday afternoon. And I had Portillo's for lunch today. Yum. :D

And I would never settle for rice cakes! I'm all about the pizza and cheeseburgers and anything generally unhealthy. :p

No fair! I was going to treat myself to a MAJOR Portillo's feast since I have to work through the holidays, but I had to drop $500 on my truck after blowing the heater core out on Thursday. :ill:

I think it's gonna be White Castle instead....... :(

J-Dubya