Official Off Topic Thread

You were wrong indeed.

I haven't gotten around to the latest one yet, but they're a really good band. Be sure to check Barren Earth out too if you like Swallow the Sun. They've got the same vocalist, one of the guitarists from Kreator, the drummer from Moonsorrow and so forth.

Finally indeed!!!!!

Their second album came out so quickly, and then....... nothing.

I hope they add a little maturity and sophistication to the 3rd album. I love their first 2, but I'm kinda changing style preferences, so I'd prefer less obvious prog, and more subtlety. :headbang:

Here's an article, and there's a sample of one of the new songs as well. It's not much, but better than nothing! Or you could wait until the cd comes out like you did with Iconoclast.

Here's an article, and there's a sample of one of the new songs as well. It's not much, but better than nothing! Or you could wait until the cd comes out like you did with Iconoclast.

I do this with all albums that I am waiting for! The only times I don't do this are when I'm trying to find new bands, and I HAVE to listen to see if I like! :)

I'll be buying the album for sure, so no need to listen to samples :headbang:

You were wrong indeed.

I haven't gotten around to the latest one yet, but they're a really good band. Be sure to check Barren Earth out too if you like Swallow the Sun. They've got the same vocalist, one of the guitarists from Kreator, the drummer from Moonsorrow and so forth.

Barren Earth is even better imo.

Well I finally got around to Barren Earth, and I like them. Thanks for bringing them up and recommending them!

You can do that? I've posted comments from my iPhone, but not from my DS :|

Absolutely. It was a little weird, but it works.

I haven't had much luck with Mastodon. I haven't really heard anything I like yet.

Does anyone here like/listen to/know of Status Minor? I listened to samples from itunes, but they don't have anything on youtube. I'm interested after hearing the samples, and would like to hear more.

What would you guys recommend starting out with?
It depends on where you're coming from.
If you're feeling much heavier stuff, go with The Hunter, if you want Proggy go with Crack the Skye. The guitar tone on The Hunter is much better, Crack the Skye has the low-mids cranked way up. But if you can listen through EQ, Crack the Skye is absolutely phenomenal. Oh and if you like taking acid and fighting monsters on a mountain, then Blood Mountain is definitely for you. :D Leviathan is a great album too. I definitely recommend checking out a bunch of songs on that too.
My favorite 2 Mastodon songs are Ghost of Karelia (Crack the Skye) and Sleeping Giant (Blood Mountain); two songs which are very different from the general idea of Mastodon but are still awesome.