Official Off Topic Thread

Only Ghost is "boring", Deconstruction displays Devin's mad side again. Decon actually leaked a month early so you should be able to check it out quite easy. Especially the first four tracks are really, really nice imo. Atleast for me it's still the best album this year.

It did nothing for me, though I agree it was definitely Devin showing his mad side like he has done in the past. Those albums didn't appeal either. Despite my slight disappointment, his releasing those two albums has got me listening to Terria and Accelerated Evolution again.

Well I'm not too crazy about Deconstruction either to be honest (just as I'm not a huge fan of the Ziltoid album). I enjoy his non-crazy stuff WAY more.

It did nothing for me, though I agree it was definitely Devin showing his mad side like he has done in the past. Those albums didn't appeal either. Despite my slight disappointment, his releasing those two albums has got me listening to Terria and Accelerated Evolution again.

I personally prefer Ghost to Deconstruction. Great album if you're in the mood for beautiful music without tension and to me it's the best one of the four DTP records.

I think the cool thing about Devin is that most serious music listeners ought to find atleast one album in his catalog that works for them. I personally love most of his stuff, but can see why that isn't the case for many people as the CD's really are quite different in direction. In my opinion though, the quality is there in each and every one of them.

I on the other hand love Ziltoid and SYL. Can't wait for Z2 (next year?) ! Not that I wouldn't like his more normal stuff... It's really amusing that he's like this mad metal scientist experimenting with all kinds of things and doing it all so damn well.

yeah, even though it's not my thing I respect him for trying a bunch of different directions. He understands what progressive is about. I'll still have the albums I dig from him.

For the life of me I can't figure out why everyone praises Devin's stuff. I've listened to so much of his music (Accelerated, Ziltoid, Ocean Machine) and I just can't get into it. There's the occasional song that I think is okay but the rest just does nothing for me. I have a friend who is obsessed with Devin's music (in a similar way that I am with Symphony X's music), and he's tried to get me into it time and time again but to no avail. Are these two new albums similar to his other stuff, or are they worth checking out?

For the life of me I can't figure out why everyone praises Devin's stuff. I've listened to so much of his music (Accelerated, Ziltoid, Ocean Machine) and I just can't get into it.

Yea I kinda feel the same about his music. Like he has those songs what sounds to me just some generic alternative/pop rock and I see people call that epic or masterpiece...don't really see why. But sure, I enjoy some of his more experimental stuff.

I appreciate Devy's great sense of style the most.

I'd say Ghost is kind of ambient, soothingly calm and beautiful music. Compared to the rest of Devin's production, it should be by far the mellowest album. Deconstruction on the other hand, is very heavy and at the same time very strange. It's somehow like... SYL meets Ziltoid, frosted with the more melodic solo material and an orchestra. Also, the further you listen to the record, the weirder it gets, basically.

It's about "getting it", just like with Opeth. He's awesome in his own way.

Listen to "Seventh Wave" and imagine yourself in the middle of the ocean inside a huge storm. Listen to the lyrics too. Now a song like that has no solos or anything like that, but it's one of the top most EPIC metal tracks I have ever heard. It's got nothing to do with sophisticated technique, complex rhythms or anything like that, it's more of a "music from the soul" thing (without any limitations as to what "should" be used in the music and what style "should" be followed). His music is quiet powerful, felt, and liberated. As Ken pointed out, he has a great understanding of what progressive is really about.

He also has that crazy side which he shows in albums like Ziltoid.

Townsend is definitely an acquired taste.

As for the new albums.
The Mighty Masturbator on Deconstruction is great. I haven't really given it much time though, but that song stood out (lols).
I like Ghost a lot. Just great relaxing music.

I thought both the new Devin albums were boring. Sacrilege?

Hey there Kenneth, its not my concern but I am curious. Is there anything you do appreciate. Much of your posts are critical; some without benefit of constructive criticism. I hope you dont mind and I dont want a pick a fight or whatever but geez; try to relax and appreciate life and art around you there buddy.

haha, sorry maestro, that's just the emotion-screen of the internet.

I'm actually one of the most easy-going people you might meet in person; I enjoy quite a lot of things. For example, I'm a massive book nerd, go player, painter, traveler, amateur photographer, author, musician... for musical taste, I have thousands of albums and hundreds of LPs of stuff I DO like. What comes across here might just be that I have, at least from my perspective, set the bar high and my expectations likewise so that when a plethora of new albums are released, very few have the power to impress me. Those that do, I treasure. I am not interested in 'scenes' and don't automatically subscribe to the fanboy train for any particular band, genre, or activity. There's always an evaluation process wherein I decide "does this particular thing interest me, or not, and why?"

I guess you could say I think 90% or more of any topic, be it modern art, prog metal, or sci-fi novels, are utter tripe and not worth the time of day. For all that though, I still love the above (and more) for the 1-9% that is truly exceptional and 'progressive' in the traditional sense of the word.